Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first and foremost would like to express my love for the Toyota Supra, I would like nothing more than to own one as I am real enthusiast. Unfortunately the financial position I am in as well as the spot in my life I am unable to get myself into the driver seat of one to own. I have been going over alternatives over and over again, I am 20 years old and enlisting in the Air National Guard. I will be in basic for 6 weeks and tech school for 7 weeks, the enlistment comes along with a $15,000 sign on bonus which I get half of when I return from tech and the other half is spread over the rest of my enlistment period. Between my earned funds over training and enlistment bonus after taxes I feel I will safely have about $8,000 in cash to put down on a vehicle, I will need a pretty decent sized down payment I assume because of my young credit. I will be going back to college as well next year to make use of the GI Bill which is going to be paying me $297 per month on top of drill pay ($200 per) this leaves me the luxury of being a full time student and having about $500 per month in free money wich could take care of the car payment and insurance.

I initially wanted to go with a used Evolution/STi however they are tricky to buy used and expensive... more than my budget should be allowing. To make a long story shortER I also considered a used SRT-4, great power for the money, tons of aftermarket and an underdog status HOWEVER it's still FWD, and Dodge. I thought of waiting on the new 4 door Civic Si which has 18' wheels, Brembo brakes and a tuned suspension which evidently will surely outperform the Coupe Si... however that is the side of me that thinks practical ( I will have a brand new decent performing vehicle that can be a modification open canvas, 0 miles ). I also considered finding a used Supercharged TC because I heard the modification potential was big.

What I want out of a car is good power though, I am not one to take a liking to being beat down by everything on the road though you cannot win them all I don't think I could deal with a 15 second or even high high 14 second car. I considered the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, it is rear wheel drive, makes good power I hear and they are not overly expensive. My goal with the car is to dip into 12's while retaining a very reliable, well put together, clean stickerless vehicle. I'd like to find a lower mileage 94-96 TT that has been taken care of, never modded and use it as my open canvas. Though it is older I have read the recent article in Automobile magazine on how special this car was, I was wondering from your perspective does it compare to the Supra TT in any way shape or form? Is it a very reliable car that can make good power faily easy? I don't want a TT RX-7 Headache or to contstantly be wrenching because more crap keeps going wrong. I want to buy a clean one, clean it up even more, slap some nice Volks/BBS/RH with some good mods without going all out, I just want a clean, respected and very likable enthusiast car that makes good power (12's) I'd probobly slap on some decent coilovers and some slotted/drilled rotors. Do you think this car would do the trick? I am aware they are harder to work on because of a massively cramped engine bay but some thoughts on the car would be appreciated. Thanks all

·
Banned
381 Posts
SupraBoost said:
I first and foremost would like to express my love for the Toyota Supra, I would like nothing more than to own one as I am real enthusiast. Unfortunately the financial position I am in as well as the spot in my life I am unable to get myself into the driver seat of one to own. I have been going over alternatives over and over again, I am 20 years old and enlisting in the Air National Guard. I will be in basic for 6 weeks and tech school for 7 weeks, the enlistment comes along with a $15,000 sign on bonus which I get half of when I return from tech and the other half is spread over the rest of my enlistment period. Between my earned funds over training and enlistment bonus after taxes I feel I will safely have about $8,000 in cash to put down on a vehicle, I will need a pretty decent sized down payment I assume because of my young credit. I will be going back to college as well next year to make use of the GI Bill which is going to be paying me $297 per month on top of drill pay ($200 per) this leaves me the luxury of being a full time student and having about $500 per month in free money wich could take care of the car payment and insurance.

I initially wanted to go with a used Evolution/STi however they are tricky to buy used and expensive... more than my budget should be allowing. To make a long story shortER I also considered a used SRT-4, great power for the money, tons of aftermarket and an underdog status HOWEVER it's still FWD, and Dodge. I thought of waiting on the new 4 door Civic Si which has 18' wheels, Brembo brakes and a tuned suspension which evidently will surely outperform the Coupe Si... however that is the side of me that thinks practical ( I will have a brand new decent performing vehicle that can be a modification open canvas, 0 miles ). I also considered finding a used Supercharged TC because I heard the modification potential was big.

What I want out of a car is good power though, I am not one to take a liking to being beat down by everything on the road though you cannot win them all I don't think I could deal with a 15 second or even high high 14 second car. I considered the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, it is rear wheel drive, makes good power I hear and they are not overly expensive. My goal with the car is to dip into 12's while retaining a very reliable, well put together, clean stickerless vehicle. I'd like to find a lower mileage 94-96 TT that has been taken care of, never modded and use it as my open canvas. Though it is older I have read the recent article in Automobile magazine on how special this car was, I was wondering from your perspective does it compare to the Supra TT in any way shape or form? Is it a very reliable car that can make good power faily easy? I don't want a TT RX-7 Headache or to contstantly be wrenching because more crap keeps going wrong. I want to buy a clean one, clean it up even more, slap some nice Volks/BBS/RH with some good mods without going all out, I just want a clean, respected and very likable enthusiast car that makes good power (12's) I'd probobly slap on some decent coilovers and some slotted/drilled rotors. Do you think this car would do the trick? I am aware they are harder to work on because of a massively cramped engine bay but some thoughts on the car would be appreciated. Thanks all

The best years would be 94-95 as the 96 have OBDII which makes modifying them a little more tricky. As far as comparing to a MKIV, yes the were and are in the same class of vehicle. They are considered reliable so long as you keep up with maintenace, just like any car of its age things will need to be fixed/replaced. just make sure you keep maintenance first and you shouldnt have much of a problem as far as reliability. 12's can be had with just bolt ons so thats not a big deal.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Having owned 3 Z's, I think that a 300zx TT would be PERFECT for your goals. Not only would it meet your power goals, but I'm sure you could afford to pay cash for a good condition one. This would mean no car payment each month. The only downside to the Z is it's age. Find one with decent mileage that's been cared for and you should be good to go. Just realize that ANY performance car is going to have reliability "quirks", even your newer cars such as EVOs, STIs, and especially SRT-4s that you mentioned previously. You just want to avoid getting yourself in a spot where you cannot afford to have your car down for a couple days. If that's the case, than I'd recommend a cheap 4cyl econobox. Best of luck with your venture!

·
Registered
560 Posts
RedBeauty84ZX said:
The best years would be 94-95 as the 96 have OBDII which makes modifying them a little more tricky. As far as comparing to a MKIV, yes the were and are in the same class of vehicle. They are considered reliable so long as you keep up with maintenace, just like any car of its age things will need to be fixed/replaced. just make sure you keep maintenance first and you shouldnt have much of a problem as far as reliability. 12's can be had with just bolt ons so thats not a big deal.
He's got it covered pretty well, my friend has a 95 and it is pretty sweet. Just bolt-ons and ball bearing upgrade and he has 400+ to the wheels. There engines have been known to last 200+ like supras. Just make sure everything is well maintained.

·
Registered
26 Posts
90-95 is just fine... I dont know where you got the 94-95 part... the only bad thing about the early ones is the 90's have a little issue with soft valves.

·
Banned
381 Posts
MaleficZ said:
90-95 is just fine... I dont know where you got the 94-95 part... the only bad thing about the early ones is the 90's have a little issue with soft valves.
Small changes were made over the years such as brakes,airbags,interior materials, and other small things. 94-95 have all of these updates and still keep the OBDI, which is why most people consider them the best years. Though you are right 90-95 are all fine.

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
^^lol I don't even think a comatose retarded monkey fetus would think a 300zx was a saturn.

I would have no qualms whatsoever about driving one of these beauties:

·
Registered
537 Posts
^nice....they got dent resistant doors too?? I know I'm not the only one that sees the saturn resemblence. Dont get me wrong I like the 300zx but I see it as the mans version of the chick car however. And you're right a monkey in that state wouldnt think so but only because it wouldnt be capable of thinking anyways.

·
Supra Aficionado
220 Posts
I don't see the resemblence to a Saturn?

SupraBoost: The Z's a great car and very responsive to mods. Good luck with your decision.

·
Banned
381 Posts
87toysupratt said:
^nice....they got dent resistant doors too?? I know I'm not the only one that sees the saturn resemblence. Dont get me wrong I like the 300zx but I see it as the mans version of the chick car however. And you're right a monkey in that state wouldnt think so but only because it wouldnt be capable of thinking anyways.

The only resemblance the Z has with another car would be the Diablo. But thats just because Lamborghini purchased the headlights from Nissan.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hellspawn said:
^^lol I don't even think a comatose retarded monkey fetus would think a 300zx was a saturn.

I would have no qualms whatsoever about driving one of these beauties:

That superwhite Z looks exactly like my last z... :(

·
Registered
683 Posts
RedBeauty84ZX said:
The only resemblance the Z has with another car would be the Diablo. But thats just because Lamborghini purchased the headlights from Nissan.

I've never been asked if my car was a Saturn, but way many times I've been asked if my Z was a Lamborghini...I love how the haters always try to create weak points on a car (not only the Z) :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my Z...Does anybody see a Saturn resemblence in it?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
^doesnt look like a saturn, but the bumper reminds me of a catfish:hs:. nice car though:)

·
Registered
573 Posts
TheTwinZ said:
I've never been asked if my car was a Saturn, but way many times I've been asked if my Z was a Lamborghini...I love how the haters always try to create weak points on a car (not only the Z) :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my Z...Does anybody see a Saturn resemblence in it?

whoa... I had the same rims on my TT Z...

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
If you have 8K to put down on a car you can easily get into a EVO/STi and have a warranty. 300ZX TT's are nice but they are high maintenance cars.

·
Registered
414 Posts
GSXXXguy said:
If you have 8K to put down on a car you can easily get into a EVO/STi and have a warranty. 300ZX TT's are nice but they are high maintenance cars.
Not any more high maintenance than any other car... Please explain what you mean by high maintenance, The only issues me or my friends ever had with out 300zx's was blown turbochargers. and those were 15 year old stock ones.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I like the Z having owned both a Supra and a Z. Trust me if you find the right Z you wont be dissappointed. They are very similar cars but at the same time are totally different. Although the Supra is where my heart will always be.

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Wilks said:
Not any more high maintenance than any other car... Please explain what you mean by high maintenance, The only issues me or my friends ever had with out 300zx's was blown turbochargers. and those were 15 year old stock ones.
Well for one instance you can't rotate tires on the TTZ. And tires on a Z are more expensive than say a neon (hi) srt4 or a civic si or a corolla S. When you ad up the cost of any twin turbo car it is always going to be higher than the cost of a lesser car. But when talking about older cars all sorts of stuff will start to need replacing whereas newer cars will not have this issue. Trust me, the last two cars (and current car) I've had were 15 years old. Stuff like ball joints, rack and pinion, wheel bearings, axles, rotors, transmissions, as you said, turbos, old rubber vacuum lines, old paint, rubber trim, worn leather int items like shift knob, steering wheel, and floor mats, carpet etc etc etc. The list really goes on and on if you are wanting to keep an old vehicle looking clean and driving great.

And lets be honest, hes being choosy, he wants to spend 8K but he doesn't want to drive a 14 second car. Unless you finance something or buy an old car that will need lots of shit replaced on it his options are limited. For 8K you could find a clean 1g awd dsm and have 3-4K leftover for fixing shit or mods. For 8K you could buy a clean MR2 turbo and prolly have money leftover. Theyre lesser cars but still offer huge aftermarket performance potential.

If he can get a loan for a 10 year old car the interest will be high and so will the payment so in that case why not buy a newer car anyway?

The Z is a nice car but finding a low mileage clean 94 or 95 for 8K is not going to be easy. As a matter of fact, a quick search on autotrader shows that you simply cannot find a low mileage 1993-1995 TT Z for under 14K. All the rest have over 100K miles and thats when you start to encounter the problem of what I mentioned earlier where you are replacing tons of shit. Its a high maintenance car. Period. A civic Si or a toyota corolla S are not high maintenance cars. The mr2 turbo is right in the middle. I wouldn't even think of buying a 10 year old twin turbo car with 100K miles on it for a daily driver. Its not a wise decision. For a second/project car, sure.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts