Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a turbo that came out of 300ZX and i wana use it on a mustang
1#do you think the turbo will make more power on the mustang ?
2#is the 7psi from the supecharge same the 7psi from the turbo ?
3#what do i need to make it ?
i have the custom exhu and all pipes
------i need more info---------------------

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Just one?

The Incon turbo kit I used on my Mustang awhile back had two T25s - I never pushed it past 10lbs of boost but I know it could've gone further. The T25 used in mine was a JDM unit like what's found in the 300ZX I was told but could never confirm for sure. These turbos were supposed to be small for fast response (boost right off idle!) but together could supply the amount of boost the kit was rated for.

IMO just one 300ZX turbo won't cut it. In fact an upgrade for the kit I used was some sort of hybrid T28 turbo. I think 10lbs on a 5liter motor from a single small turbo is too muxh to ask.

As for 10lbs being the "same" - yes and no. Same amount of pressure but the belt driven unit has higher parasitic loss and cannot make full boost until max RPM is reached. The turbo on the other hand can make a set boost over a wider RPM curve. The belt unit suffers losses from slippage (don't use a cog on the street) and when you change altitude the belt unit cannot compensate like a turbo will. Same with changing manifolds and heads etc. - the belt unit will lose boost as intake\exhaust effeciency goes up - the turbo just compensates via the wastegate.

The disadvantage to turbos is space\packaging, heat, and complicated plumbing. The advantage is better power production overall. The belt unit's big advantage is packaging and simplicity. I now have a supercharger on my Mustang since the turbo manifolds wouldn't fit the bigger 351W (shrug). Should've put a turbo 302 in my Datsun Z instead of the 383 :D BLKMGK.com

Clear as mud? Turbo is better but more complicated.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know they are complicated but hey..im ready
any way do you think it will be better if i got twins.. is it enuf to for 302 ?
and do i need to change any thing like pistons etc...?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
My motor was an '88. Roller cam was stock, it had forged pistons from the factory, block was O-ringed. Do the fuel and spark correctly and don't go nuts and it ought to be fine.

Since this is the Supra forum we shoudl probably take this elsewhere. Maybe over to the Turbo section or Ford section on HybridZ . I know this isn't a Z but we tolerate whacky engine combos quite well ;) I'm waiting for someone to find a Supra motor for a swap - somepone's already doing a Jag and an STS motor :eek: Hrm, and for th ecorrect amount of coin I might even sell my cast manifolds but beware they're HEAVY and required a slight frame notch on the passenger side :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts