Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bruce Lee wanna be!!!
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this isn't my car. But have any of you heard of the new magizine "Power Pages"? Anyway, they have a stock 97 Supra Turbo. They of course only do dyno runs in this magizine to really show you what parts can do to certain cars. Well, on an all stock supra, they added a Blitz sus power air filter. They dynoed the car stock at 285.9whp and 274.6tq, once they added the filter it raised it up to a whopping 310whp and 285.9tq. Thats a performance gain of 24.1whp and 11.3tq. Now, I've heard of maybe 10whp from an intake, but I didn't know that they were that drastic of a change. Can someone verify this for me? I'm very curious if this is actually right. They said they couldn't believe it either in the magizine so they dynoed it twice, and each time it resulted in the same results! If they were this drastic on a blitz I must say thats great. I've heard the Apexi Power Intake is a little better. Anyway, just wanted to see if any has read this and what they think! Oh, this was on stock boost as well!
-Ryan

·
1000hp thanks to SP
598 Posts
It's correct, blitz sus adds that much on a supra. I dont think many other cars will have gains like that. Supras were built for way over 320hp as my car is 1000hp on stock internals.

greg

·
Bruce Lee wanna be!!!
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, yes

Well, yes, I knew that, but I didn't know that were that dramatic! They said that the Apexi actually gave the best results??? But, like I said before, I thought they were like 15hp....?
-Ryan

·
Kancho Battle Garage
850 Posts
Yeah, I saw Blitz advertisements in SCC awhile ago, making those claims. Totally insane gains from an intake.

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
I don't buy those numbers at all. Common wisdom for many years now is the stock intake with a fresh filter is not a restriction at even BPU power levels.

On a stock car I don't believe any cone type filter will make any more power than a clean filter in the factory airbox.

A Mfr. spending money on adds in a magazine can get the dyno numbers to look any way they want.

My car made 425 rwhp at BPU with a K&N panel in the stock air box. No way on God's green earth I would have picked up more than 24 rwhp by using an SUS filter.

·
Bruce Lee wanna be!!!
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you

thank you for your input! I have heard that about the stock box as well! If anything I would just buy the Apexi intake, since it cheapest and supposedly the best!
-Ryan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Alot of people mis-run their cars on dynos. You bring your car in cold, and make a run on the dyno. You get 285 rwhp (which is less than normal stock). You install the intake, the car is already warmed up from previous run, and suddenly you make 24 rwhp increase from an intake kit....

...probably not. You gained 0 - 5 HP at the most, depending on how bad your stock filter was in the 1st place. The rest of that HP gain was just from getting the engine fully operational.

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Anh said:
Alot of people mis-run their cars on dynos. You bring your car in cold, and make a run on the dyno. You get 285 rwhp (which is less than normal stock). You install the intake, the car is already warmed up from previous run, and suddenly you make 24 rwhp increase from an intake kit....

...probably not. You gained 0 - 5 HP at the most, depending on how bad your stock filter was in the 1st place. The rest of that HP gain was just from getting the engine fully operational.
I agree. I don't believe the testing temperatures and conditions were listed in the test (ambient temp, AIT temps, coolant temps, etc.) Its a shame though lots of people may be dissapointed when they install their Blitz intakes, expecting a 20whp+ gain from just a filter:rolleyes: Removing the filter on my car actually lost power??

Although I have seen 03 Mustang Cobras pick up INSANE amounts of power from little mods like intake an exhaust! A friend of mine went from 381whp to 406whp with the addition of only a cat back exhaust system in the same testing conditions, repeated over 3 or more runs each time! Also went from 406whp to 420whp with a cold air intake! Sick!:p

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dude with the Supra that is certaintly possible.

In fact if you just take off the top of the airbox, pop the right headlight, pull the filter, the trak fuse and add a bleeder T for $2 and 15 minutes of time you should be running with 350 rwhp....this car was way way over engineered.

Add another $800 on a used DP and cat back and you are at BPU which is 400rwhp.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i dynoed mine 2 days after i picked it up from texas... it was totally stock with 59,800 miles on it and it put out 288.8 whp and 276.0 wtq... two weeks later with plugs, intake, exhaust and dp it put down 379 whp and, i believe, 369 wtq... that was at 1.05 bar from just boost creep so i believe the intake could make that kind of power...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I don't think an intake alone would add that kind of power to an otherwise healthy car. If it were true, I WOULD HAVE ONE! I don't think REMOVING the air filter completely will give you that kind of power.

I do think advertising dollars can make that happen though. :D Maybe they were using a dirty rag as an air filter before and then upgraded to the SUS, that would explain it.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Removing a stock airbox and installing a high flow filter will gain around 10rwhp. The balance of the hp was more than likely from the boost increasing slightly from the removed restriction.

Maybe 97TTdawg will post his dyno chart before and after the stock airbox.

Later, Steve

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
Removing a stock airbox and installing a high flow filter will gain around 10rwhp. The balance of the hp was more than likely from the boost increasing slightly from the removed restriction.

Maybe 97TTdawg will post his dyno chart before and after the stock airbox.

Later, Steve
Steve, 10 rwhp on a *stock* Supra...I think not. Now if we're talking about a BPU car flowing enough air to make over 400 rwhp then I'd be more inclined to agree.

I have a Max Air box on my car, it was a great way to seal the aircleaner off from engine heat while allowing fresh air in through the hole I cut in the headlight. :bigthumb:

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
I would have to agree that the SUS does yeild a good amount of HP even in stock trim. A stock air box could not possibly flow the amount of air that a Blitz SUS would. My car responded very nicely to that mod.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Lagtime,

You are correct. It was a BPU car.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
So does anyone have an unbiased dyno comparison of a conventional K&N or HKS intake to the SUS? I don't doubt it is slightly better, especially compared to the HKS. I would like to see just how much. It would have to be really impressive to justify the $250 price. :eek:

·
Bruce Lee wanna be!!!
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its all about quality too

I here the quality of the blitz is good, unlike the hks, where the foam tears apart after a while, and you have to replace it. Its not much, but still a hassle. Also, I hear the HKS doesn't filter the air as well as blitz, and if you want to talk about air filtration. I hear the apexi is the best!!! I dunno, I really wouldn't want spend all that money on a blitz, but I wouldn't want my car getting the last of the litter with the hks. I dunno, can anyone verify the best airfilter for the price. As I am all stock, well, a downpipe, but thats it. I think the filter might be my next mod...seeings how its cheap!
-Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts