Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Nope...335's will not be a good fit on an 11.5 inch wide rim. I believe that 12 or even 12.5 is recommended for a 335 with 13 being the norm (Vipers, etc.). Don't get me wrong, you can probably physically fit it on there, but it wouldn't be recommended, especially not from a handling point of view.

I've seen people fit 9.5 inch rims on the front of MKIV's before, so I'd say that you can do that without too many issues (although offset will be critical with that wide a front rim). I had 17x9's on my last Supra on the front, and it worked out just fine. :)

Steve T.

mystic said:
Will 335 tires fit comfortable on a 11.5" rim? Also, will 9.5" fit up front?

Thanks =)
Dave

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Re: Re: 335s on 11.5" rim?

I've got 17x10's up front with 275/40-17's and 17x11.5's with 315/35-17's in back. Fits great.

335s will not fit well on a 11.5 (315 is the perfect size for a 11.5), nor will a 335 fit in the body of the supra without custom rear quarter panels (and I don't mean fender rolling, I mean widebody).

Andi

·
Banned
336 Posts
I've seen a 325 on the rear in a supra before, completely stock body (just rolling fenders).

you can POSSIBLY fit a 335, but who knows.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Jack B said:
I've seen a 325 on the rear in a supra before, completely stock body (just rolling fenders).

you can POSSIBLY fit a 335, but who knows.
Some tires are wider than others in the same "size." There is no way the 325/30-18 MXX3's you've seen (i.e. watermnp's car) are any wider in section width than my 315/35-17 KD's. I speak from experience.. my tires stick out slightly WRT the body of the car, and they also have about 1/8" of clearance at the lower frame rails at the bottom front of the wheelwell (and that clearance is only due to me taking a hammer and beating the shit out of that frame rail while at Discount Tire... the tires used to just rub there. )

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. 335's will *NOT* fit. If they would, I'd have them.

Andi

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Paging Andi!

Andi,

Do you mind telling me what offset you have on the front and rear wheels, and what suspension mods you have (ie: coilovers)? Do you think I could run a similar setup with my current suspension which consists of Koni yellows and Eibach pro springs? I was originally planning on running the same size tires you are on 17x9.5 fronts and 17x11 rears (which I don't have yet) but I'd love to have that extra half inch front and rear. Thanks a lot man. ;)

Steve T.

Andi said:
I've got 17x10's up front with 275/40-17's and 17x11.5's with 315/35-17's in back. Fits great.

335s will not fit well on a 11.5 (315 is the perfect size for a 11.5), nor will a 335 fit in the body of the supra without custom rear quarter panels (and I don't mean fender rolling, I mean widebody).

Andi

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Re: Paging Andi!

Steve Theodore said:
Andi,

Do you mind telling me what offset you have on the front and rear wheels, and what suspension mods you have (ie: coilovers)? Do you think I could run a similar setup with my current suspension which consists of Koni yellows and Eibach pro springs? I was originally planning on running the same size tires you are on 17x9.5 fronts and 17x11 rears (which I don't have yet) but I'd love to have that extra half inch front and rear. Thanks a lot man. ;)

Steve T.

According to James Razor at The Wheel Source (Forgeline), my front 17x9.5's were 43mm offset and my 17x11's were 47mm offset. With these wheels, the rear tires only touched the Eibachs when the car was in the air on a lift with the wheels hanging... and they only barely touched. Not an issue -- put the car on the ground and there was almost 1/3" of clearance at the spring. The frame rail was much more of an issue.. whenever I'd come in for balancing there would be an area of the wheelwell at the frame rail that had been polished by the tire, and I'd mallet it in a bit while they were balancing my tires (got some funny looks from the Discount Tire guys...). But it worked fine. Once I got the Tein coil-overs, the smaller diameter rear springs wouldn't even touch the 315s when the car was in the air.

Now I have CCW wheels. According to John at CCW, my front offset is is 44.5mm and my rear offset is 50.8mm. Now that I have the CCW's, my left rear 315 KD does touch the coilover spring when the car is on the lift, but not at any other time (the suspension geometry pushes the wheels out a lot as the car is put onto the ground.. at least 1/4").

Backspacing that I measured myself on the forgelines:
Front 17x9.5's: 6.91"
Rear 17x11's: 7.85"

Backspacing that I was quoted by John at CCW for my CCW's:
Front 17x10's: 7.25"
Rear 17x11.5's: 8.25"

What does this mean?
Fronts: Compared to my Forgelines, the CCW's have an extra 0.34" on the inside and 0.15" on the outside.
Rears: Compared to my Forgelines, the CCW's have an extra 0.4" of width on the inside and an extra 0.1" of width on the outside.

Seeing as how 315 KD's are *STILL* on national backorder, as they have been for almost a year now, I think I may be downgrading to a set of Yokohama AVS Sports next. Don't know. Either that or some cheap Sumitomo HTR Z's. Tire Rack's review isn't too great (~equal to the Kumho Ecsta Supra POS's) but I am not sure I want to spend KD-type-money for a tire that just ain't quite as good (AVS Sport). We'll see...

Regards,
Andi

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Hey...thanks a lot Andi. I'm going to copy your entire thread down and save it for later reference. Much appreciated! :)

Steve T.

J

·
0 Posts
To follow up on Andi's CCW info -

I have CCW wheels for the track - 18x10 (285-30) front and 17x11.5 rear (315-35). I have coilovers and have had no interference in the rear with a cut fender lip. I have had some front fender liner rubbing on the LF at a ride height of 1.25 " below stock. The rub was just inside the lip near the top of the arch, about 3 inces long. I have raised the ride height to .75" drop, but have not had it on the track yet. There was about 1 mm caliper clearance in front - on the track the calipers expanded enough (or wheels flexed) to create a very small interference with the inside corners of the calipers. CCW is making spacers to remedy this as we speak. The interference is so small I may not end up using spacers as my calipers have been micro-trimmed by the wheels already. By the way, I did a precautionary grinding of the 3 top screws on the front fender (left just enough head for a Phillips screwdriver). The wheels are great in my opinion - I will get another set for the street this spring.

Jeff

·
Registered
527 Posts
What would i have to do to fit 13" rear wheels? And would they take 355s?

As for fitting them, what arch mods would I need? Would the TRD Widebody kit be alright?

Thanks for the info guys :)

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Syed Shah said:
What would i have to do to fit 13" rear wheels? And would they take 355s?

As for fitting them, what arch mods would I need? Would the TRD Widebody kit be alright?

Thanks for the info guys :)
13's would be perfect for 335's. Not 355's (nobody even makes 355's, but if they did, I'd put them on a 13.5 or 14).

To fit those, you'd need a real widebody like a TRD,etc.... and to maintain good handling you'd want to put 315s on 11.5s or 12s up front. :D

Andi

·
Banned
336 Posts
Theres a guy i MD or chicago with the TRD Widebody kit and 18x13" SSR Decolte's on the car. Pretty sure you'll be fine, and a 355 is a MUCH better tire then a 335 for a 13" wide rim.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thats one nice Supra :drooling:

Sorry, but i aint got a link to any site with 355s on them, but i have got a whell+tire brochure at home, showing Bridgestone and Dunlop with 355s.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Re: Re: Paging Andi!

Andi said:

According to James Razor at The Wheel Source (Forgeline), my front 17x9.5's were 43mm offset and my 17x11's were 47mm offset. With these wheels, the rear tires only touched the Eibachs when the car was in the air on a lift with the wheels hanging... and they only barely touched. Not an issue -- put the car on the ground and there was almost 1/3" of clearance at the spring. The frame rail was much more of an issue.. whenever I'd come in for balancing there would be an area of the wheelwell at the frame rail that had been polished by the tire, and I'd mallet it in a bit while they were balancing my tires (got some funny looks from the Discount Tire guys...). But it worked fine. Once I got the Tein coil-overs, the smaller diameter rear springs wouldn't even touch the 315s when the car was in the air.

Now I have CCW wheels. According to John at CCW, my front offset is is 44.5mm and my rear offset is 50.8mm. Now that I have the CCW's, my left rear 315 KD does touch the coilover spring when the car is on the lift, but not at any other time (the suspension geometry pushes the wheels out a lot as the car is put onto the ground.. at least 1/4").

Backspacing that I measured myself on the forgelines:
Front 17x9.5's: 6.91"
Rear 17x11's: 7.85"

Backspacing that I was quoted by John at CCW for my CCW's:
Front 17x10's: 7.25"
Rear 17x11.5's: 8.25"

What does this mean?
Fronts: Compared to my Forgelines, the CCW's have an extra 0.34" on the inside and 0.15" on the outside.
Rears: Compared to my Forgelines, the CCW's have an extra 0.4" of width on the inside and an extra 0.1" of width on the outside.

Seeing as how 315 KD's are *STILL* on national backorder, as they have been for almost a year now, I think I may be downgrading to a set of Yokohama AVS Sports next. Don't know. Either that or some cheap Sumitomo HTR Z's. Tire Rack's review isn't too great (~equal to the Kumho Ecsta Supra POS's) but I am not sure I want to spend KD-type-money for a tire that just ain't quite as good (AVS Sport). We'll see...

Regards,
Andi
Andi

I have the same CCW wheel set up as you and have run Yokohama A032R on them...

Just an idea

1 - 18 of 18 Posts