Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried to put this up at a 350z forum and it keeps flagging my IP address and won’t let me post so I figured I like the supra people better and will try here.
I have a hks evc installed in my car. I have no idea the model I think it’s a Hks Evc VI as it came with the car. It is a 03 Nissan 350z that has been twin turboed. I love the controller and works great but the previous owner installed it in a not so nice place for monitoring while driving. I wanted to install another gauge in a pod while keeping this but have no idea where to tie into for the boost sensor to get the reading on the other gauge. Can I just t off of one of the lines going to the stepper motor but which one? I have attached photos to help. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The right-most barb with the black vacuum line should be manifold atmosphere. You are just looking to install another gauge and want to see boost/vacuum, correct?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is correct that’s all I want. I see you pulled one for a Toyota. Will it matter if this is on a twin turbo 350z? I know they changed the step motors from model to model so I just want to make sure before I start cutting stuff

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes that is correct that’s all I want. I see you pulled one for a Toyota. Will it matter if this is on a twin turbo 350z? I know they changed the step motors from model to model so I just want to make sure before I start cutting stuff
That picture is just a generic one I pulled from google. No, it will not matter. The stepper motor must witness manifold pressure at that port. The other two ports I cannot advise on without seeing how your wastegate(s) are plumbed. It’s just vacuum lines so they are cheap. But when you are done and go into boost for the first time just watch the EVC to make sure it controls boost properly, or however its performing before you start changing anything.

May I strongly suggest you do a boost leak check before you start to get an baseline of how tight the system is?

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are a couple of ways to verify how the stepper motor is functioning, i’d first power it on, engine off, and supply air (up to 20ish psi) to the above mentioned port/vac line and verify the other two ports’ valve opens to complete the air circuit back into the intake somewhere. You can also use a 9Vdc battery, some test leads, and command the valves to operate independent of the in-cabin controller.
Do so at your and the units risk tho as the controller’s output to the motor may be pwm and a lower voltage (ie you could burn it up).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I do not want to burn it up. I have no idea how the lines are run for the waste gates as the turbos are underneath and I cannot see them. If it’s the wrong line nothing should happen right. I took a couple more photos pointing to the one said and where it goes after it t’s off. I don’t know if I said it before but thank you for the help

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have trouble with understanding from these types of photos.
Do us a favor. Sketch it out the best you can on some paper and take a pic of the drawing. It will help you understand the boost control circuit immensely. You’ll be able to id the wastegate setup, plumbing, and how the air circuits and valves control the boost. Plus its easier for the forum to advise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I understand. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the line you said and wanted to take a photo of it and then show where it ran too to the intake/plentum and that other black valve looking thing

·
Registered
247 Posts
Alright I understand. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the line you said and wanted to take a photo of it and then show where it ran too to the intake/plentum and that other black valve looking thing
Understood. As long as you traced it back to the intake you can tap off of it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
No. What engine model is that?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quick guess is its part of the evaporative emissions equipment: 14958U maybe

Its an ok source for vacuum/boost source reference. The system may have gas vapors in it fwiw.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took a car for a ride and the vaccine doesn’t line up exactly but the boost pressure does so that works for me. The fumes will not matter as its an electronic gauge. Thanks for all the help with me getting this in

1 - 14 of 14 Posts