Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot lately about turboed 350 zs and was wondering if any of you have or know anybody that has had experience with these cars. I read somewhere that you can just install "I believe" it was a vortech supercharger and not have to do much else with the engine, and it was pretty reliable. I thought it would help the car to around 350-360 at the wheels with exhaust, etc... Now if it was going to be turboed, it sounds like the engine may need some building. But it also sounds like you may get quite a bit more power out of the turbo'd version, even at low psi, like 6-10. I could be wrong on this though. Can the 6-speed handle this? I just thought reading on this subject was interesting and wanted to know what you guys thought or know about this, maybe some personal experiences.

Adam

·
Banned
306 Posts
350z turbo

The dealership I work at has built a few turbo z's and and s/c 350's. We have one that is looking at 700 crank horses, but its custom built block, twin turbo's and crazy one off ecu. I think the tranny is the weak issue. I will try and get some pics of the car tomorrow.

·
Champagne Papi
5,699 Posts
It's no V160. Hell its not even a w58 lol. Bad idea IMO. But good luck. You definately won't be rocking a username I EAT 8's anymore.

·
Registered
63 Posts
you start getting tranny issues when you are above 500rwhp.....
The axles will hold after 500rwhp also

The VQ isn't a boost friendly motor.....but if tuned right with quality parts then your good to go ;)

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
the new VQ _ HR series motor is a lot more boost friendly i heard, once the new GTR is released, and the aftermarket/parts start being interchanged between the Z/Skyline, i think more potential will be unleashed.

·
Dreamer
1,628 Posts
It's not hard building one up to 400rwhp. You can still last a long time on stock block as long as your tune is conservative and you're careful. The older versions of 6 speed transmissions seem to have more problems, and I guess Nissan also knows about it because it is easy to replace transmissions in Z's and G's under warranty. The transmission has been updated a number of times, and the newer versions seem to be much better.

I'd be weary of going any further than that on stock block. Also, it is still not clear how much power the transmission can handle. I would say at more than 500rwhp, it is a bit risky. But nobody knows for sure how long these transmission, especially the newer versions, can hold under such power.

My brother just sold his G with Turbonetics single turbo on stock block. It was running at close to 400rwhp, and he never had a problem with it. He had it turbo'd for about 20k miles.

·
mises.org
711 Posts
If you're really considering this then I would suggest using the latest HR motor as the base instead of the DE, from what I've seen, heard and read the HR is superior in every way, just lower the compression.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you're really considering this then I would suggest using the latest HR motor as the base instead of the DE, from what I've seen, heard and read the HR is superior in every way, just lower the compression.

that is not necessary....Vinny Ten works with JWT and puts those tt kits on bonestock Z's......We have many of them in my local Z club...None have any issues whatsoever....They are putting out anywhere from 400-440rwhp depending on assessories i/e etc......The tranny is an issue as we had one guy just blow his but this was after thousands of miles of hard driving on his single turbo that was pushin around 390rwhp......The JWT turbos were made to run with Nissan factory ecu so you dont even need to tune it with aftermarket piggy backs or stand alones...With this TT kit the last thing to go will be your motor...For most people a 400-440rwhp, 11 sec Z would be enough......If you wanted to build up the VQ then the sky is the limit on power potential....But you will still have to find a good tranny...Not too sure on if there is a kit to strengthen our stock trannies....

I will get the number of Vinny Tens shop later for the OP so he can talk to him and bypass much of the bs thats associated with the Z that Im sure will eventually creep into the thread.....

·
mises.org
711 Posts
that is not necessary....Vinny Ten works with JWT and puts those tt kits on bonestock Z's......We have many of them in my local Z club...None have any issues whatsoever....They are putting out anywhere from 400-440rwhp depending on assessories i/e etc......The tranny is an issue as we had one guy just blow his but this was after thousands of miles of hard driving on his single turbo that was pushin around 390rwhp......The JWT turbos were made to run with Nissan factory ecu so you dont even need to tune it with aftermarket piggy backs or stand alones...With this TT kit the last thing to go will be your motor...For most people a 400-440rwhp, 11 sec Z would be enough......If you wanted to build up the VQ then the sky is the limit on power potential....But you will still have to find a good tranny...Not too sure on if there is a kit to strengthen our stock trannies....

I will get the number of Vinny Tens shop later for the OP so he can talk to him and bypass much of the bs thats associated with the Z that Im sure will eventually creep into the thread.....
I didnt say that the DE is worthless, I just think that the HR has a much higher ability to hold power stock then the DE can. If I were to turbo a Z I would get one with an HR and get a shop to custom fabricate a single.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It's not hard building one up to 400rwhp. You can still last a long time on stock block as long as your tune is conservative and you're careful. The older versions of 6 speed transmissions seem to have more problems, and I guess Nissan also knows about it because it is easy to replace transmissions in Z's and G's under warranty. The transmission has been updated a number of times, and the newer versions seem to be much better.
A guy in the other 350Z thread has an 07 and his tranny has already died and they are replacing it under warranty.

update:

tranny is toast, getting a new one, i'm sure i won't be the only one with tranny issues, i'm prolly just the first one anybody's heard of with an 07. u would think that after 5 years in production they'd figure out how to make a tranny that won't break
More complaints about the 07 here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5131195&postcount=48

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I didnt say that the DE is worthless, I just think that the HR has a much higher ability to hold power stock then the DE can. If I were to turbo a Z I would get one with an HR and get a shop to custom fabricate a single.
I didnt think you did and you are right about the HR...Was just letting the OP know that the current VQ can be made into an 11 sec car without having to build the motor:) It will run with or beat a BPU Supra so you know its good power especially for a streetcar with low boost...Most of my post wasnt aimed at you bro sorry if it came off like that:) I just know how most of these 350z threads get so I try to nip it in the bud before the hater shyte starts coming....

·
mises.org
711 Posts
I didnt think you did and you are right about the HR...Was just letting the OP know that the current VQ can be made into an 11 sec car without having to build the motor:) It will run with or beat a BPU Supra so you know its good power especially for a streetcar with low boost...Most of my post wasnt aimed at you bro sorry if it came off like that:) I just know how most of these 350z threads get so I try to nip it in the bud before the hater shyte starts coming....
No apology necessary :wavey:

·
Banned
381 Posts
If you are only looking for 350-400RWHP you won't have a problem. Like mentioned above the VQ35DE was not built with boost in mind and it is reccommended that you rebuild before 500WHP. The tranny is also considered a weak link after 400WHP. Supposivly the new VQ-HR engines Nissan is using are much stronger internally, the VQ37HRTT going in the new GTR should prove to be quite potent...

1 - 20 of 81 Posts