Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to run a higher stall but not being able to afford to upgrade the tranny as well....well my wife will kick my A. Anyways, I'm wanting to get a 3800 stall and put it in the JDM Auto Tranny that I have. The thing shifts great and I run about 452 rwhp only somtimes for highway pulls - I mainly only run 10 psi around town.

What will I have to watch out for doing this? How long will this Stock Tranny last? Should I just wait and get it all done (rebuilt Tranny) at the same time?

Thanks.

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
If you are on the stock stall and enjoy how the car pulls up top on the highway now I would recommend against going with a higher stall converter. It will only hurt your top end. Get the trans built and upgrade the stall when you do that. As long as you keep the fluid fresh and cool, your trans should last a while. Mine lasted a year at 500whp and was still fine, but I only did highway pulls, no 1st gear kick downs or anything like that.

Steve

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
keep it cool...as stated above!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are on the stock stall and enjoy how the car pulls up top on the highway now I would recommend against going with a higher stall converter. It will only hurt your top end. Get the trans built and upgrade the stall when you do that. As long as you keep the fluid fresh and cool, your trans should last a while. Mine lasted a year at 500whp and was still fine, but I only did highway pulls, no 1st gear kick downs or anything like that.

Steve
So if I like the highway pulls then stay away from the 3800 Stall? But DO get it when I get the Tranny Built? I'm confused.

I'm mainly wanting it for around town and getting into boost sooner since I have a T71. But I guess the answer is that my Tranny will hold up pretty good if I don't do 1-2 shifts hard and keep it cool (which I already have a Tranny Cooler).

·
So bin ich eben
59 Posts
I ran a 3200 stall on my '93 (442rwhp) and that was plenty. 3800 for a street driven Supra is way too much. You also have to consider that your transmission will be running a lot hotter with a stall so you will need a tranny cooler. I wouldn't use a stall unless I had a built tranny because of the heat issue.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran a 3200 stall on my '93 (442rwhp) and that was plenty. 3800 for a street driven Supra is way too much. You also have to consider that your transmission will be running a lot hotter with a stall so you will need a tranny cooler. I wouldn't use a stall unless I had a built tranny because of the heat issue.
What turbo were you running at that horsepower level? These T71's are the quickest spooling. But you have a very good point about the street driving and heat.

·
Registered
632 Posts
i'm running a toyota transmission with a built valvebody upgrade and 3500-3600stall converter with trans cooler w/electric fan. So far so good. You definately done run as quick on the freeway compared to a lower stall but around town and getting into boost on short pulls from 0-80mph, the high stall definately helps compared to stock stall definately. I ran a stock stall for a month while waiting for the torque converter to come in and it just sucked and was worthless until i spooled up and i have a 61mm turbo with .70 a/r. Just don't gate shift your car, go easy on the 1-2 gear shifts, and watch your fluid and you should be fine for a while. i've been running mine on the single turbo setup since october and have had no problems (knock on wood). Just be choosy when you decide to push your cars limits.

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
A high stall converter really helps you get out of the hole and helps in 0-100mph pulls. At the drag strip it really, really shines. In roll racing, or highway pulls the converter slips much more then the stock converter and the car doesn't pull as hard. You really don't notice it until after 100mph though.

Also, you will be able to build boost quicker, however, your trans temps will be higher. My trans never over heated, but it would get pretty hot on summer days in traffic last summer.

A 71mm turbo is about the limit for a built Toyo trans. I think you'd enjoy the car more with a smaller turbo.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts