Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you use for a standard cartridge turbo? I am piecing an oil line kit together and this is pretty much the last thing I have to find. What are the benefits to either size also?

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
HotSoup said:
Which do you use for a standard cartridge turbo? I am piecing an oil line kit together and this is pretty much the last thing I have to find. What are the benefits to either size also?

Jason
From all I've seen and heard from people whom I believe probably know what they're talking about, a -3 is plenty big, and a -4 is the maximum you should use.

You should get Phil Panas' oiling kit if he still offers it. He made me one which feeds off of both engine block ports, Y's into a single line, includes an in-line filter, then goes to the turbo, all using very nice braided line that looks good with the crimped brake line style ends and fittings. According to some, a huge % of all turbo failures are due to debris in the oil, usually something that was there at startup, or something that got into the oil path during repairs, etc.
 
G

·
Whats the advanage of using both oil feed ports vs just the front one? increased oil pressure or...??

Boost Junkie said:
From all I've seen and heard from people whom I believe probably know what they're talking about, a -3 is plenty big, and a -4 is the maximum you should use.

You should get Phil Panas' oiling kit if he still offers it. He made me one which feeds off of both engine block ports, Y's into a single line, includes an in-line filter, then goes to the turbo, all using very nice braided line that looks good with the crimped brake line style ends and fittings. According to some, a huge % of all turbo failures are due to debris in the oil, usually something that was there at startup, or something that got into the oil path during repairs, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
I'm not sure if there is any advantage or not. One could speculate that it might somehow be better to have SOME oil flow through all of the factory-desigened oil system instead of having part of it capped off. Beyond that, it is a very good quality setup and I'm pretty confident that the in-line filter is a good idea.
turbo6speed said:
Whats the advanage of using both oil feed ports vs just the front one? increased oil pressure or...??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Just FYI you will also need a restrictor for the turbo it's self. I've seen -3 and -4 lines used neither really showing any better or worse performance out come. Like I said you will have a restrictor anyway so flow will not be an issue so the OD of the line really won't matter.

It will all depend on what fitting you are using from the block.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top