Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· I'll nevAr go single!
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just thinking about this, cause I really want to keep my 1J a twin setup.

So, my friend wrecked his '91 TT Dodge Stealth about a year ago, but the motor and thus turbos are undamaged, the car has been sitting since. I was thinking if I ever blow my stock twins, would it be worth it to try and convert to these twins, and has anyone ever done it before? Would it actually be an upgrade and worth the effort to do so, or not?

I believe they are the TD04-9b turbos?

· 1JZ BLING!
3,044 Posts
That would work just fine.

However, by the time you get custom flanges made, make 2x adapters, 2x feed lines, 2x drain lines, 2x downpipes, 2x intake pipes, and 2x the labor.

Chances are you spent more then a small single setup would have been. For comparison, it costs about a minimum of $800 to convert to a small T4, downpipe, etc. Compare that to the projected costs for a twin setup and you will find your answer.

· I'll nevAr go single!
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, really I was just wondering if it would be a Viable swap as opposed to some other twin setups I have seen, and I have read of some Mitsu turbo swaps here and their, dosnt seem to common though.

I think if I want to stick with my goal, which would be upgrading/sticking with twins anyway, that this could be an option, since I can have the turbos for next to nothing, and working in the automotive industry helps when fabrication is needed, so say I can get it all done, would these turbos hold up well, are they known to blow at any given boost level and in general, are their any real problems with them?

· Registered
6,381 Posts
Flea420 said:
Well, really I was just wondering if it would be a Viable swap as opposed to some other twin setups I have seen, and I have read of some Mitsu turbo swaps here and their, dosnt seem to common though.

I think if I want to stick with my goal, which would be upgrading/sticking with twins anyway, that this could be an option, since I can have the turbos for next to nothing, and working in the automotive industry helps when fabrication is needed, so say I can get it all done, would these turbos hold up well, are they known to blow at any given boost level and in general, are their any real problems with them?
You and I have the same mindset of keeping to the twin setup. From what I have followed , those Mitsu Turbos hold up a lot better then the 1jz turbos.As far as how much power it will make on the straight six engine is not clear, but it does well on those cars so it should not be that bad.

I myself am using the kkk k26 from the Porsche/Audi cars and they go pretty cheap as well on the Ebay - around 150 or so and usually in excellent condition.

Try those turbos, that will give us twin guys more options to play with :)

· Registered
1,801 Posts
When we/SF/Myself sent the ct12a's into Majestic turbo they rebuilt them with better wheels and newer components. I doni't know if they'll hold more power or anything but, that might be the first and cheapest route.

Second, Majestic suggested for an upgrate two decent size T3 turbos with custom manifolds and such. Having two well designed T3's would be AWESOME! if you're trying to stick wih twins. Also, BIC makes, or did make a set of twins for the 1JZ.

Bryan

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I will be adapting some td05h 14b, but I think getting some tdo4 hot sides and putting 14b compressors on them would be the way to go, as a td05h is gonna be pretty damn laggy. If you can weld at all, orknow someone who can, its a easy setup to make, and wont cost you much at all. The dapter plates are just too simple, same goes with plumbing.

Your biggest job will be making the downpipes, but if you have any friend with wealders, you could fab it up for 100 or less in parts.

I dont believe the 9b turbos flow but maybe 300cfm, although I cant confirm this. I know most guys upgrade them, but im ont sure to what trim.

A good used 14b is around 100 off ebay, and they are good for around 21lbs I believe. Also flow 420cfm or so, which combined should profivde some good numbers. Will be interesting to see how a td05h wheel spools on 1.25l though :)

· Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,532 Posts
3/S turbos are td04-9b-4cm
1G Auto DSM turbos are Td04-13g-5cm
1G 5sp dsm turbos are TD05H-14b-6cm
STarions are Td04-12A-9cm

ive seen 5sp DSM turbos make 280awhp before, on 22psi. so, its very easy to see 500rwhp out of a pair of 14b's. they are designed to spool on 2.0L with 7.8:1 compression. i had a 14b with the 6cm exhaust housing on a 1G with 2G pistons, for 8.5:1 compression. i had positive manifold pressure by 2100rpm, id hit 18psi by ~2800rpm. a pair of 14b's on a 1jz shouldnt spool much worse than stock 12A's, and i would expect them to do better than 12B's.

· !black
10,248 Posts
The 9b isn't going to really flow what the 1JZ wants up on the high end I wouldn't think. I'd crank a 14b up to around 18psi and have decent flow and efficiency(~72% avg across, not great but could be worse) for the $.

· Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,532 Posts
yup, the stock 9b's are enough turbo to outflow the 370cc injectors that the 3/S comes with. if you can put the 14b's on there, then you can easily put the 16g's on there w/ the same hotside. having the 14b's upgraded to the 16g wheel will help a bit moer than buying a real 16g since the Real 16g's have 7cm hotsides. a real 16g will be a bit more laggy than a 14b that was upgraded

· that twin 2jz guy
2,804 Posts
actually i am running running these turbos.... well to elabrate more on this... when i had the hks twins cartiage changed. the only similar cartirage they could use was a tdo4 b .. so yeah it does work. but u have to get a custom y-pipe. and i am working on getting that fabed up . not to mention u would have to run custom manifold.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
starions use a td05 housing, or the 4g63 models had a tc05housing whiched floweda little better than the 2.6l version. Go mitsubishi ...

· Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,532 Posts
airbats801 said:
starions use a td05 housing, or the 4g63 models had a tc05housing whiched floweda little better than the 2.6l version. Go mitsubishi ...
its been so long since ive dealt w/ starquests, i wasnt sure if it was a TD05 or TD04 hotside. i just rememberd the G54B had the 12a wheel and a 9cm housing w/ a wierd O2 flange.

· !black
10,248 Posts
Couldn't you just take some schedule 40 pipe and weld directly onto 1JZ manifold, fitting some TD05 flanges? Then grab 2 of the chepie 14b/DSM downpipes and then just fabricate the 2nd downpipe 2 connect the 2.

Fairly cheap I would suspect..

· Registered
1,017 Posts
MadMaxx said:
Couldn't you just take some schedule 40 pipe and weld directly onto 1JZ manifold, fitting some TD05 flanges? Then grab 2 of the chepie 14b/DSM downpipes and then just fabricate the 2nd downpipe 2 connect the 2.

Fairly cheap I would suspect..
I plan on doing something similar, but im just going to weld a ct12a flange on one side, and a td05h on the other for the 14b. I plan on making the turbos both forward facing, so should look a bit nicer, and the downpipes should flow better also.

· Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,532 Posts
so heres the main question; top mount, bottom mount or sideways? id be half tempted to do top mount cuz itd be easier to rig up the supports to alleviate the weight on the adaptor tubes mentioned above.

· Now with 0JZ
1,215 Posts
I did some math on this a while ago, and concluded that yes the turbos would work fine, but you wouldn't get that much of a power increase over the CT12As. Although, they would probably last longer, and be cheaper to replace.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.