Supra Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
haha well , i can send you the board once i figure out the led strip thing. unless i end up replacing the resistors and the leds which i dont think i will do it

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,481 Posts
Sorry, I'm stumped. It doesn't look like a resistor or a capacitor. Doesn't look like a normal diode, and it's only got two contacts so it can't be a regulator. That only leaves...alien technology.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i would have to say that it appears to be absolutely pointless. It run in series with the power line so its not a capacitor/inductor/tranzorb or zener diode. The only thing i can think of is its a normal diode to which serves no purpose.

If you willing to give it a shot, just short the tracks together and bypass that component all together.

·
Stock Twins King
4,479 Posts
Bringing this back for the archives. I just got a 3rd brake light to play with and I am not sure how to remove the plastic housing to expose the circuit board. Not sure if it needs heating to loosen the glue or what. The original post#1 shows it opened up but how?

·
Administrator
8,703 Posts
Stu it looks like a small bead of glue or adhesive in the photo. Wouldn't hurt to heat it up in the oven 215 degrees for 6 min and find out!

·
Stock Twins King
4,479 Posts
I heated it up but it was a different type of glue, almost like superglue. But once I got a screwdriver in a gap, the whole housing like snapped out leaving some minor breakage. This is a test mule for me to replace the LEDs to a much brighter style.

There are 11 banks of 4-LEDs in series/parallel. This one only had like 3 banks operational.

Once I replace them I will post the results.

·
Administrator
8,703 Posts
Sounds great Stu, I'm sure that's something I would like for my cars. If it's closer to superglue I would run an exacto knife long the gap a few times and soak in rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I pulled one apart a few years ago and started a replacement project. I wound up using a dremel fine cutoff wheel at the seam between the gray and white parts of the housing. Came right apart cleanly, and will glue back together cleanly again (tested).

That project suffered from feature-itus (as usual) and lack of time, but is spinning back up again. Here are some prototype boards I had made :

2018-07-18 15.16.19.jpg

I kept the LED spacing the same due to the lens in the housing. Unless they're centered like the original, I think there might be some weird light bleeding between the LED locations and the lens centers. Maybe not, I haven't checked in detail.

The idea was/is to be able to do a subtle animation. My own preference is for a fast double-door opening and door closing effect, but the code (microcontroller-based) can handle any kind of animation. For example, this is the start of that animation definition

Code:
[COLOR="#000000"]# DB Version
version:1.0
# Animation name (16 chars)
name:SupraLED

# Bright value, Dim value, ms per TICK, Animation description
animation:200,50,10,Supra Tail 1

# Input #, starting entry #
input:1,0

Entry #, Ticks to display, Next entry if OFF, Next entry if ON
entry> 0, 254, 0, 1, ................................   # starting entry
entry: 1, 01,  0, 2, ...........oo...................
entry: 2, 01,  1, 3, ...........**...................
entry: 3, 01,  2, 4, ..........*oo*..................
entry: 4, 01,  3, 5, .........*oooo*.................
entry: 5, 01,  4, 6, ........*oooooo*................
  :
  :[/COLOR]
Simple text file. Code is mostly done, working on HW now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What happend to the 3rd brake test Stu?
I heated it up but it was a different type of glue, almost like superglue. But once I got a screwdriver in a gap, the whole housing like snapped out leaving some minor breakage. This is a test mule for me to replace the LEDs to a much brighter style.

There are 11 banks of 4-LEDs in series/parallel. This one only had like 3 banks operational.

Once I replace them I will post the results.

·
Stock Twins King
4,479 Posts
21 - 39 of 39 Posts