Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my V160 has roughly only 500 miles on it and when I shift into third I get a small grind, I have never grinded the gear before I heard it yesterday for the first time slowly shifting into third at low speeds, but it doesn't really sound like a real hard tranny grind, the noise is very quick and less quiet and it still gets into gear with no problem, I'm not very knowledgeable on transmissions though, and some more knowledgeable friends rode in the car and believe it's something to do with the linkage, could this be the problem and how so to fix it? Thanks in advance. (I have no clue if this means anything but if the car is off I can still get it smoothly into gear with no problem or noise without the clutch.)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
What clutch do you have? Is it new or broken in yet? I was thinking the sound could be from your clutch disc chattering as it engages the flywheel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What clutch do you have? Is it new or broken in yet? I was thinking the sound could be from your clutch disc chattering as it engages the flywheel.
Southbend Stage 3 Endurance and 500 miles as well

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the shifter/tripod
Update, I pulled everything off around the shifter and turned the car on but wasn't moving, with the clutch in I can BARELY hear a very small noise when I shift into third, I noticed the tripod appears to have a lot of play in it has I just shift around into different gears. Again when moving the noise is much louder but when doing it with car on but not moving barely noticeable but still present.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just confirming that this is my problem cause the tripod isn't supposed to have play in it while I shift around correct? so assuming that is the problem, so I should go ahead and try to reach those bolts without a lift lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looking at it closer the tripod doesn't have too much play, so I really don't know if thats the issue or not, whenever I put it into any other gears the click is very loud, that click is much more quiet into third, I'm lost, does anyone have any more guesses? It can't be the synchro right, with only 500 miles? I hope not ):

1 - 9 of 9 Posts