Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I plan on buying a Supra, and do to money constraints I want to create the most horsepower for the least money. I was thinking of either buying an engineless MKIV or taking the 2JZ-GTE out of the MKIV and selling it for the 3S-GTE. Every race team apparently uses it, Toms supra, denso sard, etc Topsecret also uses it..
Apparently the engine weighs alot less, and creates power in my range of control(350-450 whp easily).
Anyone know anything about this engine, how it can be put in, and if its been done by more than a few?
Thanks for any tips

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
If your ultimate goal with the mkiv is low cost, it might be easier in the long run to keep the 2jz.

You can get relatively cheap with a 3sgte swap assuming you get the chassis engineless, and do virtually all the work yourself. This isn't asking much if you are mechanically inclined, but ultimately getting the 3sgte operational on parts costs alone would put you somewhere north of 12k for the chassis, engine, transmission, and associated parts to make it all work. This said, it would be a very difficult process, but possible if you found all the right sellers, and cheap parts. If there is one lesson i've learned over the years, it would be not to count on this budget.

So, I would propose a much easier solution, either buying a cheap NA supra and simply turbocharging that engine, or, swap a jdm/udm cheap turbo engine into the car. This latter step might be your best bet, as these are commonplace swaps now, and parts can be had fairly cheaply online. In the end, it will probably almost equal a 3sgte swap in price all said and done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright.. I am just learning about supras more in depth now..
I mainly was attracted to the 3sge swap because of the weight reduction and the "rev-happiness"
I have a good 40,000...I plan on spending about 25 on it going fast and put together and the other 15 on a certain body kit*.. hmm..although 25 is probably not enough..
thanks for the info, wasnt aware that I could swap in a GTE cheaply

·
Registered
97 Posts
js3324 said:
I mainly was attracted to the 3sge swap because of the weight reduction and the "rev-happiness"
what makes you think the 3sgte is more rev happy than the 2jz? the straight 6 is revs much better than the 3sgte. if you are seriously trying to save money this is definitely not the way to go, unless you yourself are a master fabricator.

js3324 said:
...and creates power in my range of control(350-450 whp easily).
fyi 350-450 whp is NOT "easy" from the 3sgte. check out mr2oc.com. see how few 400 rwhp mr2s there are and what it takes to get there. even if you can make 450 whp from the 3s, the powerband will be rediculous. the car will be very, very soft down low especially when burdened with the extra weight of the supra.

js3324 said:
I have a good 40,000...I plan on spending about 25 on it going fast and put together and the other 15 on a certain body kit*.. hmm..although 25 is probably not enough..
if you plan on spending $15k on paint and body, you can easily buy a 2jzgte supra w/ a beat body for $25k.

kale said:
If you're a fan of weight reduction, might i suggest a cheaper, faster, lighter alternative for the dollar, the LS1 RX7
or if you're really in love with the 3s, why not just leave in the mr2:dunno: much lighter, better traction, and infinitely fewer headaches than a 3s in a supra.

js3324 said:
thats pretty apparent :rolleyes:

·
EchoDeDupra
4,118 Posts
40k ??... you can find a tt-6spd for around 20k, then spend the rest turbo/building/etc.

Buy a new shortblock, turbo, tranny, body kit, fuel, fmic, etc.

This swap doesn't seem like the best idea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts