Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rant2:

I didn't believe how low my MKIV actually was until I finished building a custom 4" turbo-back and dropped the car to the ground. I have 1.4" clearance between the piping itself and the floor! I scrape god-damn everywhere. Whats makes matters worse are that I meticulously made this exhaust hover the under carriage. It cannot go up any further (It does hang down about .2" clearance from the undercarriage).

I ended up running a center-muffler, with piping out to the back. Muffler sits where the stock large cat would sit, tucked under the heat tray. That guy is max 1" clearance from the ground. As all the manhole covers, road level changes and puddles would say to the muffler, :nutkickhi

How do most of you 4 inchers manage with a dropped car? Time to raise the beast.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i've got great ground clearance with my hks ti that i think is mostly due to the fact that i'm running 19" wheels.
i'm opting for a new setup very, very soon (18/17 staggered) which i think will start to give me problems with clearance.
it's a given pain that you can't really deal with unless you go for smaller diameter piping.

·
Registered
350 Posts
dre99gsx said:
:rant2:

I didn't believe how low my MKIV actually was until I finished building a custom 4" turbo-back and dropped the car to the ground. I have 1.4" clearance between the piping itself and the floor! I scrape god-damn everywhere. Whats makes matters worse are that I meticulously made this exhaust hover the under carriage. It cannot go up any further (It does hang down about .2" clearance from the undercarriage).

I ended up running a center-muffler, with piping out to the back. Muffler sits where the stock large cat would sit, tucked under the heat tray. That guy is max 1" clearance from the ground. As all the manhole covers, road level changes and puddles would say to the muffler, :nutkickhi

How do most of you 4 inchers manage with a dropped car? Time to raise the beast.
Post pics of your work, like to see how well it turned out.

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
invazn said:
i've got great ground clearance with my hks ti that i think is mostly due to the fact that i'm running 19" wheels.
i'm opting for a new setup very, very soon (18/17 staggered) which i think will start to give me problems with clearance.
it's a given pain that you can't really deal with unless you go for smaller diameter piping.
I also have the HKS Racing Titanium, as do a number of my friends. None of us have clearance problems to the degree you've described; that is another reason why that particular exhaust is so attractive.

To the thread starter. I can only imagine your effort to tuck the exhaust as high up as possible did not have the desired effect for one reason or another. My car is low, lower than most actually, and I have not had the problem you are describing with either my 18s or 19s fitted to the car. Certainly, there are very aggressive speed bumps that will test the ground clearance of any lowered Supra with a larger than stock exhaust, but these incidents should be few and far between if my personal experience is any indication (reside in SoCali, btw).

Ken.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them. The piping I used was 4"OD. I used 4" flex section on the downpipe. If the HKS Ti is 4", and you guys do not rub, I must be lowered beyond recognition. I am rubbing on the piping itself, then again, I drive in pot-hole city.

I measured 2.8" from the bottom of the chassis rails to the floor. You guys lowered that much?

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
^^^As of yesterday, my car is at SPE to do some things I have been wanting to accomplish for a while. I'll ask them on Tueday to measure for me if no one else has posted the info you are requesting.

What type of suspension do you have, btw? I failed to mention I have Tein RA coilovers, so that might have something to do with it as well. Then again, if you have a similar coilover suspension set-up, it likely isn't the culprit. The problem, then, is either related your engineering of the exhaust or the state of your local roads and the havoc they wreak on lowered vehicles.

Ken.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've incorporated a complete 4in exhaust from turbo to tail and I do not have any issues as you've explained. As Ken has stated, there are rare times that have been challenging to the setup for clearance. However by altering route (ie. my last driveway) you can avoid these issues or at least minimize the the effects.
I'll measure my ground clearance when I get home.

BTW- I've used nothing but WOTM 4in exhaust pieces for the last two years and now a boost logic unit for the catback. This is a testimate of excellent products IMO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
dre99gsx said:
I measured 2.8" from the bottom of the chassis rails to the floor. You guys lowered that much?
Dre,

That car of your is slammed. I have no clearance issues with my Tein coilovers and 4" HKS ... but my chassis rail to ground distance is ~5" ... I can't imagine my car sitting any lower.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
I have a custom 4" made from some thick ass SUS304. It weighs a ton, but it can take anything you can throw at it......speed bumps, jack rabits and when getting 3 feet of air.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm working on the picks. Low light/dark exhaust pipes=hard to depict clearances. Right now, if you get under the car, you can fit your fist between the floor and the chassis rails. The exhaust has 1" clearance from the floor. No big deal. I raised the car a tad, already helped quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
off topic dre99gsx but where did you get your 4" flex from and how much .

thanks!

·
Turbo-Freaks Producer
342 Posts
I've got 4" SP DP and the HKS Ti and I have far better clearence then i did with my HKS Super Dragger.

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
Well i had the same problem as you. i have a wot 4" dp/mp and the hpf goliath ....
i think my problem was in the dp/mp angle that brought the cat back down lower than it should .......any way the scraping was so bad that if the car went over a slight raise in the road , the car would slightly raise off of the suspension and when it comes down it would scrape .......i had it on for like 5 days and got so pissed that i pulled off from the mid pipe back and now im running an open dp ....if it was up to me i would keep it like that but the cops and my neighbors dont appreciate it at all .......i think the problem is the dp/mp so im gonna try to move things around to see what i could come up with ......where could i get some 4" stainless piping? i might just run an open custom exaust right out the back with no muffler

8,181 Posts
i have the same problem aswell. if you drive your car diagonally in some of the bad parking lots while enter/exitingit wont scrap as much. but yeah if ur driving on the highway at 65 and there is a itty bitty bump it scraps like a motherfucker. i thought about going back to the stock shocks.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
I'm guessing the guys whose cars are scraping at speed over minor but sharp dips have a dp/mp interface that has had the effect of creating a low point on the car and, possibly, lowering the entire exhaust system.

Last year on the way to Vegas, six of us were driving together, three of us with 4-inch exhausts, one with a 3.75-inch, one with a 3.70-inch and one with a 3.6-inch and five of the six cars lowered. I mention this because there were a LOT of construction and dips and bumps so significant, CalTrans had "Dip" and "Bump" signs by some of them, While somewhat nerve-wracking to come up on these road imperfections at 80-85 mph, none of us had any issues. It sounds like some in this thread would have totally flattened their exhausts or torn them off completely. You have done right to take them off and search for a permanent solution.

Ken.

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
I can drive fine on the street without any problems from dips. I just can't go over any speed bumps without scraping.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,177 Posts
my hks ti is alright, not great but i don't scrape it often. my front lip is the worst.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts