Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if something like this is made to fit with minimal interior mods? I'm looking for something that goes over the driver and passenger seats and hugs the roof line to the back of the car. Then bolted down-say where the stock subwoofer secures to.

Brian

W

·
0 Posts
If you get the Autopower bar, you give up the rear speakers and the rear seat is basically unusable.

Only get a roll bar if you're doing track events and need it for safety. In that case, safety should prevail over vanity.

·
Old School Socal Member
365 Posts
By April 1st I will have the 4 point bolt in or weld in kits available for anyone who wants them. They will run about $700 shipped. They will allow a lot of chair recline as well as full targa storage. You can still use your back seat as well.

ian

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Listen to this man. I'm working hard to remove an Autopower bolt in bar...that thing isn't worth the hassle unless you're a bonafide track junkie. I don't think it's even approved by the drag racing association...but it will probably pass for road racing. :)

Steve T.

wizard_of_oz said:
If you get the Autopower bar, you give up the rear speakers and the rear seat is basically unusable.

Only get a roll bar if you're doing track events and need it for safety. In that case, safety should prevail over vanity.

·
OG
754 Posts
Ian,
do you have any pics yet of what it will look like?

keeping the back seats and targa storage sounds too good to be true. =)

let me know when youre ready to sell them. i'll be looking for a cage and yours sounds like perfect match for my needs.

·
Old School Socal Member
365 Posts
I'll post something when they become available. These are not the Autopower ones. The one that will be available will be NHRA legal if welded in. I will have pics by the end of the month.

ian

W

·
0 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Listen to this man. I'm working hard to remove an Autopower bolt in bar...that thing isn't worth the hassle unless you're a bonafide track junkie. I don't think it's even approved by the drag racing association...but it will probably pass for road racing. :)
And I'm working on installing one. An Autopower 4-point race bar is SCCA solo I and IT approved, so it will work for most autocross type road racing. You need a 6-point for doorhandle-to-doorhandle (even if the sanctioning body GCR doesn't require one), and a lot more cross-bracing for GT or banked ovals. GT cars almost always have custom cages. The almost is because some integral cages in production cars can be considered mass-manufactured.

The respective sanctioning bodies' specs for road racing cages and drag racing cages usually are different enough that one designed to pass for one won't pass for the other.

J

·
0 Posts
brianb said:
Does anyone know if something like this is made to fit with minimal interior mods? I'm looking for something that goes over the driver and passenger seats and hugs the roof line to the back of the car. Then bolted down-say where the stock subwoofer secures to.

Brian
Brian - I don't think a central bolt-in location would work well structurally. FWIW, I just installed an Autopower roll bar. I had the back seat out anyway. I run on the track and have shoulder harnesses - pretty much requiring a roll bar for safety IMO. The car is noticeably stiffer in the rear ('97 ) and the seat travel is fine for me at just over 6'. Install was straightforward. I'll send pix if you want them. Anyone doing OTC next year??

Jeff

W

·
0 Posts
Jeff, I think pics would be of general interest. Go ahead and post them. Particularly where you have to drill the holes, what you have to take off, and how it fits in the car.

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Bump any one have pics of these installed? and im intesredt in that one your tlaking about that you can stil lrecline your seat ;")

·
3,148 Posts
I had it custom made.

Later, Steve

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Steve, how much did you say the bar you have is again?

I know an engineering friend of yours made it.

·
3,148 Posts
I have had the intention of building these, but the individual that built mine is just too busy. As soon as I can find a new source (that charges a reasonable amount), I will try to make some up. I want to keep the cost of the bar with the bolt in section under $800. I would also try to offer the bar without the bolt in section for less. This bar would have the mounting points so you could add the center section later if you wanted.

Later, Steve

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Doesn't Do-Luck made something like this for the JZA80? Anyone have pics of it?

Joe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts