Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..

Looking for a little fun summer toy to go play in the mud with.

I know 400ex's are durable, and pretty damn fuck_up_proof, but does anyone have any hints on what to look for when buying a used one?

Looks like you can find these all day for around $2k for a decently clean one.

Lots of bang for the buck there.

· Eddy Haines
1,091 Posts
The more stock the better in most situations. Also check for plastic fade, and rust. You don't want a fourwheeler that has been sitting outside in the rain! Wheelies are so fun on them, ENJOY!

· Registered
793 Posts
The 400ex is a classic IMO its one of the funnest all around chassis ever produced its a wheelie machine and its just flat out fun to ride. Look for rust around the steering stem. Check tire wear make sure its even. I miss mine some times.

· Inline for the win
6,404 Posts
My friend has one he is selling that he just purchased since he has lost interest in it and would rather have a street bike. The quad needed the engine rebuilt which which was performed shortly after he purchased it two months ago. Its now is a 430cc with less than 1 hour on run time.

The specs are:

'99 400 EX Red/black
-DG nerf bars
-Renthal bars
-Some aftermarket pipe (like supertrapp)

The only thing it needs right now that he hasn't fixed is new right from wheel bearing and a new left rim. These issues were apparent when he purchased it. The quad is located in Dayton, OH. If you are interested, PM me.

DP

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I'm from up around the Cleveland area, looking for one local.

· Registered
88 Posts
when you see it in person check the shocks for oil leaks especially the fronts. then stand it up on the back bar and check the frame for stress cracks and dents where it could have bottom out. ask when the last time its been serviced (oil change) alot of people beat the crap out of atvs and dont keep up with the basics

· Registered
183 Posts
If your looking into 400ex's I'd say go with a z400 instead. I used to have a 400ex and my dad had a z400 both were piped and filtered him weighing 60lbs more then me the z400 would walk away after about 3rd gear. They can be had in the same price range as the 400exs and have reverse and liquid cooled isntead of air cooled. As far as reliablity neither of us had any problems with ours. With the way prices are now you should be able to get a very nice shape z400. Also I would say go for a stock one as then when you start to mod it you know it was done right. If its piped make sure its jetted right no back firing or bogging as I've seen a few used quads before where people put a pipe on and don't rejet.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I picked one up.

2003 400ex. All stock, 2 owner.

Stock grips still, stock tires with about 60% tread, stock skidplates in tact and no damage or bends.

Super super clean.

$2300.

Will get pics this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.