Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey like the subject says do you think that 400 watts is too little power for an element designs e12O.44. I know I can't get away with an e12a (sigh) with that little power.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I'm not familiar with that speaker.... can you provide any information or links?

Whats the reccomended RMS and peak? Some other brands underrate their speakers, as in saying that they have a 200watt RMS when they are completely capable of 500-700watts RMS.

·
Registered
583 Posts
yah

yah u cud get away with 400 watts assuming that isnt maxing ur amp out

edit:spelling

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you're concerned about not having enough power, put the speaker in a ported enclosure. You'll get "more bang for your buck." ED subs do particularly well in ported enclosures according to the President of Elemental Designs.

G

·
KameleonSupra said:
If you're concerned about not having enough power, put the speaker in a ported enclosure. You'll get "more bang for your buck." ED subs do particularly well in ported enclosures according to the President of Elemental Designs.
I would not recommend putting an "O" series subwoofer in a ported enclosure. eD didn't design the "O" for ported use. People have attempted it and reported that it sounds pretty bad.

The "K" and "A" series do excel in ported enclosures (I have heard a few setups myself).

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
EL1 is exactly right. The O line from ED will not work well in a ported enclosure. If you look at the TS specs, most specifically it's Q the O series is higher then both the K and A series. I forget the exact ranges which indicate if a driver should be ported or not but I'll look them up and post back.

400 watts from an amp like the avionixx 400.2 would be great for this sub however it can handle more power and 600rms would not phase it whatsoever as long as it's a properly designed enclosure and more on the smaller side of 1.2~1.5 cubes. If you do use a larger sealed enclosure such as 1.5~2.0 cubes then 400rms will be enough for the sub to easily reach it's xmax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts