Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since the build I've been finding ways to make the bike perform better. The bike still makes 411 HP/200 TQ at 24 psi but makes the power quicker now with the addition of a CO2 system which includes a 1 lb. bottle that powers an air shifter (Lightning quick shifts with the horn button) and also pressurizes the turbo piping through my AMS-1000 so that the 2871 BB turbo spools shortly after the throttle is pinned. This thing is a blast. The CO2 system supposedly will give me 1500 shifts before the bottle has to be refilled for $5.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm not sure Plex cause street racing seems to be dead... I know the hangout spots are still Fridays in Greenbelt on Wednesdays at 7pm then on to K2 Lounge at 10 pm...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I had a C02 setup on my bike and fucking loved it. Awesome shifts and great boost control, race cars have been using that technology for years.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Junkie why aren't we using CO2 in these cars to pressurize the system? Especially with these larger turbos? Much there is a dyno video somewhere on here.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Junkie why aren't we using CO2 in these cars to pressurize the system? Especially with these larger turbos? Much there is a dyno video somewhere on here.
I know of several Supras in DFW that do that. When you use C02 you can get away with a very low setting WG spring, and still spin boost to the moon. Vs usually only being able to double the WG spring pressure.

Lots of race cars have been using this method for years. I've had it on several. My Supra we haven't had to mess with it yet, but its in the works as I'm wanting to turn the car up more

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good to know. I want to look into it on the Supra. I just bought a GT42 7675 and I wish I had gone bigger now that you're telling me this. Is there a big difference in spool on a turbo my size with CO2?

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Topscrt... I've ridden out there years ago and there are some nice, twisty roads. Now that I'm slammed, geared and long I mostly stay local blasting from light to light. My plan is to buy some Ohlins forks and an Ohlins shock, raise the bike up and shorten it so that I can enjoy big sweepers and get plenty of airtime via 3rd gear power wheelies.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks Topscrt... I've ridden out there years ago and there are some nice, twisty roads. Now that I'm slammed, geared and long I mostly stay local blasting from light to light. My plan is to buy some Ohlins forks and an Ohlins shock, raise the bike up and shorten it so that I can enjoy big sweepers and get plenty of airtime via 3rd gear power wheelies.
Great roads and plenty of stretches where cops don't or can't really set up. Have you made any passes at MIR or any track with the current setup? Raised up and shortened should make things more interesting, power wheelie out of wide turns.

·
Engmaineer
2,408 Posts
I know of several Supras in DFW that do that. When you use C02 you can get away with a very low setting WG spring, and still spin boost to the moon. Vs usually only being able to double the WG spring pressure.

Lots of race cars have been using this method for years. I've had it on several. My Supra we haven't had to mess with it yet, but its in the works as I'm wanting to turn the car up more
Using CO2 as the pressure size of the gate is different then what he described. The method you described has been used for years, you are basically pulse width modulating through a regulator to keep pressure down on the top side of the gate instead of just the spring. In this method you can use really low spring values, while achieving very high pressure values when needed.

What he described (if he's understanding it correctly), is pressurizing the entire charge pipe with CO2 to eliminate the need to pressurize that region when the turbo begins to comes up. I could see it saving a little bit of time, but to bring all that volume up you are going to need some serious tank size and that 1lb tank is NOT going to last long at all.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Topscrt I had planned to race a the all bike events at MIR but that plan was thwarted when I broke a valve spring back in May (Which I thought was a spun bearing so I hauled the bike to Williford Racing NC only to realize I could have fixed it) . The bike sat until August 1 but I did get in a street race in April against a Hayabusa that runs 8.90's. In that race I was running 12 psi and we both got great holeshots but every gear I shifted put greater distance on him so by 5th gear I was way out in front. This bike should be in the 8.30-8.50 range but I won't know until I actually make the blast.

Kamiraa you may have a point about bottle size because this weekend I went on an extended ride and everything was working fine. After about 75 miles I noticed that the tank was empty and it was ironic because I hadnt used the air shifter more than about 25 times. At first thought I figured that maybe because I parked the bike in the sun that it got hot a blew off all the CO2 but that should have made a loud noise which I didn't hear. The guy who refilled my CO2 said that the bottle didn't sound right when he filled it. Says it sounded like I had a bad pressure relief valve on the bottle. I may just swap out the 1 lb bottle for a 2 lb bottle.

·
Engmaineer
2,408 Posts
Topscrt I had planned to race a the all bike events at MIR but that plan was thwarted when I broke a valve spring back in May (Which I thought was a spun bearing so I hauled the bike to Williford Racing NC only to realize I could have fixed it) . The bike sat until August 1 but I did get in a street race in April against a Hayabusa that runs 8.90's. In that race I was running 12 psi and we both got great holeshots but every gear I shifted put greater distance on him so by 5th gear I was way out in front. This bike should be in the 8.30-8.50 range but I won't know until I actually make the blast.

Kamiraa you may have a point about bottle size because this weekend I went on an extended ride and everything was working fine. After about 75 miles I noticed that the tank was empty and it was ironic because I hadnt used the air shifter more than about 25 times. At first thought I figured that maybe because I parked the bike in the sun that it got hot a blew off all the CO2 but that should have made a loud noise which I didn't hear. The guy who refilled my CO2 said that the bottle didn't sound right when he filled it. Says it sounded like I had a bad pressure relief valve on the bottle. I may just swap out the 1 lb bottle for a 2 lb bottle.
Or just go get a large tank to keep at the house, so you can fill it yourself after each ride. No point to add extra weight to the bike, unless you need the extra weight over the back tire . . which may help with traction :)

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I slaved over that headlight install for days... It's the Morimoto Mini H1 kit. One light is sufficient but when both are on its awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts