Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay just a general poll i guess. Plain and simple. If you were wanting 450-500RWHP and NOTHING more, what turbo would you pick?

This can be SP, Greddy, HKS, IHC, Blitz, KKK, Godzilla, Frankenstien, whatever.. If you had your choice, what turbo would you get?

I'm more interested in a quick spooling turbo than a Super top end turbo i.e T-88. So any views, thoughts and opinions would be great.

If this has already been posted, i'm sorry, i looked for a little bit, but not that hard. A simple hyper link would be great.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
HKS/Suprasport will meet your needs, and provide a streetable turbo. Remember, peak HP isn't king...rather, it is area under the curve that will make you faster. I ran 13.4 on 12 psi with the HKS...stock fuel, stock cooling, just the turbo, intake and exhaust.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I would say a full To4e 60 trim or a to4b with a 60-1 or 62-1 wheel, with a P trim exhaust wheel. I think that the to4e would probably start spinning to fast past about 450 hp. The 60-1 wheel is a very good match for the 7M. Some of the new garret GT wheels are supposed to be very efficiant too. OR probably better is a sp61gt with a full t4 exhaust side, instead of the turbonetics/ct exhaust housing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you have the standard 4 bolt Garrett flange, the TS04 P-trim with a .7 housing will make an easy 450 (or 500 if you can tune like A. Jordan).

With a standard T-Series you can easily change exhaust side housings to meet your daily/track needs. And any turbo shop can easily rebuild this off the shelf item.

While you will enjoy a larger turbo that uses the stock manifold, you're torque, spool times and exhaust temps will be noticably improved with a tubular.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Ok, I've only made 420 dyno power, but that was at 18psi. On the street, running 25psi, I have to guess power is just about 480 at the wheels, but I don't have timeslips, or anything but my seat -of-the-pants-o-meter to gauge it by.
I've had the SS Stage V BB CHRA turbo on my car for about a year, and there are nice features, and not so nice features.
Nice is that is just bolts on. (Pretty much.) Do a search, there are many posts about what to watch for, or do right the first time.
Poor part is wastegate control. At the pressures I'm running, the WG is woefully adaquate. (Barely.)
Seeing that this turbo is well over 2000.00 now, I'd have to say that a T4 flanged exhaust side, adapter or new cast HKS copy manifold and external WG would be a good idea. Besides that, I would go with the new GT61 wheel in a larger compressor housing. (Or stay with stock sizes if you want to keep using the accordian hose and fittings.) The larger size ones flow more with the same size wheel. Exhaust side should not exceed a .70, really with the best one I've seen being a .58. (Check out Zaazn's write up on his experiance with larger AR's. The car is no fun to drive on the street with major lag. Even this stage V is too big. IMHO>) Here is the thing about larger ARs. They do flow more and make more power, but ONLY ON TOP> Everywhere else they suck. Your stock CT is pretty dang small compared to the T4 sized exducer. The size of the exducer bore does not change with smaller AR's, only the size of the "hole" blowing on the exducer. At .58 it will still outflow a CT by a wide margin. And your boost will come in well below 3000rpm where you can actually use it. Mine does not really hit now till just after 4000rpm. So, I drive around in a peaky power with just 2800rpm of powerband. (Not very happy about this, so I'm looking for more displacement to counter the slow spool, and tuning to add more spark advance off boost, but really untill I figure out a way to either reduce the AR of this housing, or just throw in the towel and buy a manifold, WG and smaller .58 housing for this turbo, I don't see it happening.) I miss my fast spooling CT. Really. (Although the top end power is very addictive, using it generally results in 100mph+ street drives, and I'm going to lose my license if I'm not careful.)

Good luck.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
eh. for that level of HP, i'd go for any of the bolt on t3/t4 options- the old tech suprasport one or the GT series from SP.....no need to go all the way w/a full big T setup.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I think he means for a 1JZ.

The new Garret GT turbos are the most efficient. Good luck finding a manifold or something.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
check out the garrett turbo website - they have charts that will let you pick the perfect compressor. You should definately go with the new garrett turbo.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, conundrum07 had the PERFECT response. Just SP61GT. Now he could have elaborated a little more on why that is his opinion, but that's fine. The CT-26 upgrade with the 60-1 wheel or whatever will not cut it. I want something better. I want to ditch the CT26 all together and het something better, with newer technology.

So, any other suggestions would be great. Thanks Dude(et)s

I

·
0 Posts
far to many people dobt the power of the ct-26, you can gain in the upwards 450+ to low 500's if you build it right. with very minimal lag. It is a very reliable and sturdy upgrade aslong as you take all the precautions. But bigger turbos are nice but i have seen huge t04e's make 420-450 rwhp at 16-18 lbs and have horible lag, where as the ct-26 upgrades starting to spool 1800 and be at 10 lbs by 3k, and make 420 rwhp on only 10 lbs. Which seems to me to be more of an aim of what you are looking for. however it is up to you. less lag more power. so good luck with your decision

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
BigTSetter said:
Okay, conundrum07 had the PERFECT response. Just SP61GT. Now he could have elaborated a little more on why that is his opinion, but that's fine. The CT-26 upgrade with the 60-1 wheel or whatever will not cut it. I want something better. I want to ditch the CT26 all together and het something better, with newer technology.

So, any other suggestions would be great. Thanks Dude(et)s
Im want to have low to mid 400's in street trim when Im done. I was orginally going to go with the 'ol HKS Sport Turbo but then I heard of the new SP turbo that was being adapted to bolt straight up to the MKIII. Newer wheel desigin, so it should spool faster and produce more power than the Sport Turbo, and for cheaper too (~1200) I believe its possible to get 400 - 450 on pump gas and proper tuning. SP says that 500 may be possible with race gas. Im eagerly awaiting MRSUPRA's dyno sheets and time slips :D

Good luck on whatever you choose:bigthumb:

I

·
0 Posts
SupraTrey said:
To4-E's have no lagg.... common dood. CT-26 is a WEAK turbine.... even with the 60-1 Upgrade... IMO.

I run a custom Garrett To4-R..... if i was just looking for MID 400's

To4-E is your best choice for $$$ and Performace......

Trey
once again you only make 445 rwhp? with a t04r? that is mighty low for a turbo of that stature. You are a perfict example of why people should not go with such big turbo's you have a very good size turbo that most people with a setup like yours would be running 550-600 rwhp. so y are you still in the 400's. you are talking shit out of your ass when you have a very good setup yet you cant make power for shit. so IMO your setup is wrong. just look at most of the people on this borad running to4 setups most are in the 400 hp range. where twice the number of them are in the 400's with 60-1's on ct-26's with less lag.

·
what will the future hold
916 Posts
From what i have seen! Not speculating a 60-1 full to4e .70 will do it. The suprasport t3't4 will do it. The SP 61 will along with a ts04. My choice would be the balled bearing sp61 due to the quick spool up. Although the suprasport turbo spools very quick too.

·
old school poster
464 Posts
it depends on your budget now. you have a bunch of choices now. you could get the sp61 and pretty much bolt it on, or you could get an hks manifold and to4 style turbo which would cost more as you need a custom downpipe,etc.

if you only want 450-500hp and would never want to go higher, than the sp61 would be perfect imho. you could put the money you save into other parts of the car to round it out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts