Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all u guys with a 4k stall. how does it run on the street tell me what it feels like. a good friend of mine which is a transmission teacher said it would totaly suck driving with a 4k stall for the street. what does it feel like when you cruise around and stop at a stop light and take off when does it start to go and how much throttle. basicly i wanna know whats all diffrent with a 4k stall then stock.

Thanks.

·
High On Boost
407 Posts
I love my 4k stall it just requires a little but more throttle to get the car going from a stop but not that big of a deal.You have to match your stall to your turbo thats the most important thing.I also have a 4k Precision/Midwest forsale if your interested.

Pete

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im getting mine with boostlogic when i order my t71gtq and getting my tranny upgraded getting the 4k stall just wondering how it feels.

·
Registered
849 Posts
you will need a 4k stall with a t71 turbo. I have had a 4k stall for a year now, works great

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I don't have a single, just bpu in TTC mode......you really don't notice it too much. At first its a little different cause you have to get into the throttle a little bit more to get the car moving, but if you had never driven the supra without the high stall you probably wouldn't even really notice it :)

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
The SP74 and the 4K Stall are a perfect match. With a 3" DP/MP and a HKS Ti Exhaust I was spooling at 3,400 RPM. Now with the 4" DP/MP I'm looking to spool even earlier. As for driving with the 4K stall, you're literally on boost upon the car leaving a street light. What else could a guy ask for? The biggest drawback in my opinion about any stall at or near this rpm is that in the event of a roll on competition with someone, the top end hit isn't all that impressive. It just doesn't roll of like it did with the stock stall, but if you're talking light to light racing then you'll be king.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Bad SP74 said:
The SP74 and the 4K Stall are a perfect match. With a 3" DP/MP and a HKS Ti Exhaust I was spooling at 3,400 RPM. Now with the 4" DP/MP I'm looking to spool even earlier. As for driving with the 4K stall, you're literally on boost upon the car leaving a street light. What else could a guy ask for? The biggest drawback in my opinion about any stall at or near this rpm is that in the event of a roll on competition with someone, the top end hit isn't all that impressive. It just doesn't roll of like it did with the stock stall, but if you're talking light to light racing then you'll be king.
Ditto.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone running the BL upgraded toyota tranny and a 4k stall?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bad SP74 said:

quick question......my buddy has been looking into a Supra for a while now......he wants a built auto(ie either sp400/bl built auto) w/ a 4k stall....my question is this....what can be done to make the car better from a roll(besides spray if that were the answer).....will brake boosting work?....will that reak havoc on the tranny....he wants a 71/73/74 type turbo and wants the strip capability but also knows you can't always go from a dig....in the same respect he understands you can't have everything.....or can you? :) ...thanks to anyone in advance

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
...BULLISH RACING Enhanced...

·
1,947 Posts
If you could find a tranny that could handle being locked up then that would give you the top end hit you desire. As far as I know, most of these built 'Yota trannies won't put up with that type of foolishness...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Both of you guys thanks for the answers....

Bad74...What do you do from a roll.....Just wait for the lag to be gone and the 74 to kick in.....Maybe you don't go from a roll.....I didn't even think a lock-up for that would be possible....Just wondering here...

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
...BULLISH RACING Enhanced...

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Stall, would'nt leave home without it!

·
1,947 Posts
I don't even bother with roll ons because as awesome as the SP 74 is, the 4K stall just plain takes the rush out of it. Lag from rolling on? NONE! This baby is on spool as soon as I drop the hammer from virtually any speed while moving. Therefore, I would say that if I ever rolled on with someone it would be from very low speeds, which is a stalled auto cars forte. I'm sure I could do a little damage to certain folks out there rolling on from 50 MPH, but for the most part you'll need a stick Supra for big time roll on thrust. Here's where I shine: I'm at a light next to middle aged guy in a modded Vette. I light up the S03's for 10 seconds or so to get my joints sticky, then look out of the corner of my eye to see the adjacent light to turn yellow so I can begin to stall my shit up to about 3K... The instant the light flips to green I release both brakes and floor my Dawg. Guess what? Nighty night GM car... I never even heard his holeshot for the ferociousness of my own. So, to sum it up, 99% of what's out there will never holeshot a 4K stall Supra, plus there is a 100% chance that the opponent won't have the gusto to run down a SP74 at 1.8 bar in the street... Life is still good. Thank God for Auto Supras.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Bad SP74 said:
If you could find a tranny that could handle being locked up then that would give you the top end hit you desire. As far as I know, most of these built 'Yota trannies won't put up with that type of foolishness...
Its not the transmission that locks up, its the torque converter. Right now there is no TC that can handle being locked up at high boost and high speeds.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can you have both lookup and TB on a converter?

Please guys dont tell me to "search you fool" i've been reading through my search hit for 3days now and can't find the answer
some says yes you can other says no! and the rest says yes you can but it wont last...

my perfect dream setup would be high stall on small turbo and have a lookup for trips and highway cruising.
is it posible?

:)

B

·
0 Posts
Silver Orchid SP60 said:
Its not the transmission that locks up, its the torque converter. Right now there is no TC that can handle being locked up and high boost and high speeds.
We do now. I will be contacting you in a week or so when my stator is finished being installed. I paid a hefty amount to have a custom stator cut out of aluminum made specific for the supra. The converter design is finished and in two Supras now. I will be posting a massive write up on SF, but I have to ask Dusty's permission to sell them. Or I might just offer information and have people contact me separately of the board.

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
T Andersson said:

my perfect dream setup would be high stall on small turbo and have a lookup for trips and highway cruising.
is it posible?

:)
Yes. The issue of locking it up is more on WOT pulls, not hwy cruising speeds.

Brad

1 - 20 of 57 Posts