Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just starting to get into the market for a 96-2000 4runner. Just looking for things you guys that own them think about them? What you like don't like, what problems they're know to have? My brother has one, and drives the hell out it in the mountains of NC, and he hasn't complained about it once. And I need to get away from the 16 and 19 mpg of my truck. I drive it way to much for that. Any input appreciated.

~Bryan.

EDIT: Scratch that, just found the MPG ratings, they're exactly the same. :eek3:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yeah, I was going to point out the mileage thing, but anyways, they are GREAT trucks. I beat the crap out of both of mine, no problems whatsoever. The 3rd gens are prone to rust in a few areas, the emergency brake cables always seem to freeze up, even if you use them. O2 sensors seem to crap out around 120k or so. Other than that though, I had no problems. I had a 98 with 150k and a 92 with 217k miles. The 92 had a few mechanical issues (window switches, rear glass window motor), but it drove great. I wouldn't hesitate for one second to own another one.

·
got twins?
421 Posts
99 SR5 - owned for all 7 years. NO problem whatsoever with the truck. However, the mileage is 16-18 overall - city/highway and it is a 2wd. So, if you are looking for mileage, this is not the truck for you. I don't love the highway ride (blows around if it is windy) but it does everything else well.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Like everyone is saying, they are some of the most solid and trouble free vehicles out there. The 3rd gens (96-2002) you are talking about have the 3.4L which is basically bomb-proof, but you won't be doing any better than your 16-19mpg.

The only way to squeeze some more mileage out of one would be to find a stripper 5 speed 4cyl model. Not sure if that's what you were thinking, but they do exist tho.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My dad has a 99 2wd limited he bought new...Awesome truck, excellent balance of strength and comfort and luxury...its got just the right amount of features and nothing over the top, good room...

We've used it all from road trips to ski trips to my senior prom car (hey I was too broke for a limo 2 years ago). It's pretty versatile

I was pretty sure the mileage we got was a bit better than what most people are making it out to be, probably about 17 street, 22 freeway.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Dad is on his second one in a row and I have to say its the best truck for the money out there. Perfect mix of off road capability, luxury and reliability.

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
Bought my 99 new and it now has 143,000 miles and never had a single mechanical problem or failure of any type. If the fluids and maintenance are performed as recommended, they are basically bullet-proof.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my daily is a 98 SR5 4wd w/106k+. i will drive it until the wheels fall off and probably keep it 4ever. as banton stated above, follow the recommended svc and oil changes and the truck is bulletproof. i do agree that the gas mileage/range isnt stellar, but its not bad either.

for me reliability is the most important factor. while my other friends have X5s, LR3/RRs, and Cayennes, all i ever hear about is how many times its in the shop and the endless problems! the 4runner just keeps going and going with no hassles!

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
I still have a 2000 4Runner SR-5 V6 with the ultra rare 5 speed manual. It's been a great SUV for us, but does get really bad fuel mileage. I have seen 22 mpg, but that takes long straight roads. Typically we do about 18 mpg in mixed driving. We have not had any issues with ours, bought it with 79k miles and it now has about 115k miles. Just oil, gas, tires, and routine scheduled maintenance. The engine seems like a waste of engineering though, because although it sounds complex (quad cam, etc.) it's nothing to get excited about. ;)

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
paps-dukes has a black 00 SR5 - super retard clean - no problems at all except for a Cat that went - das ist alles.

·
FAITH
605 Posts
I have a 96 LTD.

I haven't had one problem with it since i recieved it from my uncle.

My mom has a 02 LTD, which also has had not one problem, except a recall.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was really looking for something a more fuel effcient than my Ram, but at the same time still somewhat versatile. Guess I'm going to have to get a car. I need a vehicle with at least a steady 20+ mpg rating city driving which is where ~ 85% of my driving is. Not sure why I was expecting it from an SUV, I guess it was the V6.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
My dad bought a 4wd limited 96 4runner brand new and the only problem we've ever had with it was the head gasket that went at 17k miles. It was covered under a recall. After that we had a recall for revised rear suspension spring rates. Besides that the truck never gave any problems. My dad used to it to tow a 7000 lb boat and it never hiccuped even getting it out of the water!

My sister's fiance bought it from us like 8 months ago and it's been nothing but good to him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts