Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
5 fuses and electric fan

I just installed a Zirgo fan. It has a neg trigger switch. I haven't installed the switch yet, but still need the fan. So I thought grounding the switch wire would be enough. I blew about 5 fuses doing this method. I must be doing something wrong, right?

Can you guys help me out? I can take pictures if nessecary.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not using a switch. Is the possible?

I just gounded it.

·
Definately NOT 1J
406 Posts
If your using the big zirg0 16" its possible to blow the 20a Fuse just by making the ground connection. Is this what is happening? or is it blowing after it runs for a while?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BLU 16"

It blows right wound the ground is made. Should I up the fuse?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
that diagram is only used if you are running a Relay for a Aux switch(on-off) in addition to a thermostat switch.

Which do you have? Go to zirgo.com and DL their PDF for standar hook up, with out relay if thats what you have.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to use an aux switch. But don't have it hooked up now

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to get this figured out pretty soon before it gets dark and the stores close if i need to buy a 30amp fuse or something.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't understand.. all the switch does is ground it

·
Registered
70 Posts
hmm, think your overthinking this.

Determine if you want the fan to come on with the factory activation circuit, if not just run a ignition source to it. This would be easiest. The fan would be on whenever u start the car.

For ease of installation wire it like the following:
86= ignition power
85= chasis ground
30= jump ignition power from 86
87= + power to fan

**Ground one side of fan power wiring to chasis ground. If it is not marked then it is not polarity sensitive.******

It sound to me like your grounding the fused wire. Thus popping the fuse.

slimdigits said:
Here is the diagram

·
Registered
70 Posts
O and place the fuse between 87 and the fan
t51rmkiv said:
hmm, think your overthinking this.

Determine if you want the fan to come on with the factory activation circuit, if not just run a ignition source to it. This would be easiest. The fan would be on whenever u start the car.

For ease of installation wire it like the following:
86= ignition power
85= chasis ground
30= jump ignition power from 86
87= + power to fan

**Ground one side of fan power wiring to chasis ground. If it is not marked then it is not polarity sensitive.******

It sound to me like your grounding the fused wire. Thus popping the fuse.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the diagnostic box? Does anyone have a diagram of that?

·
Registered
70 Posts
slimdigits said:
In the diagnostic box? Does anyone have a diagram of that?
You can get it from the fuse box if you like. Its any source of power that turns on with the car. I dont have a mk3 so not sure. On my single mk4 i got it from the 12v off of my maf wire, i dont use maf anymore. MAKE SURE not to grap it from a 6 volt sensor source, this will blow your ecu.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok.. well the fan works now. I plugged it into +B but the fan was on all the time. So are there any other suggestions as to how to start the fan when the car starts?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts