Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently havig a 2JZ-GTE put into my car and I am wondering what tranny to use. My car is about 4000lbs and I need to get into boost in first gear. The shop is saying that 5speed would be better for my application then a 6-speed but I would like to get some more oppinions on this.

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
retrodrive said:
I am currently havig a 2JZ-GTE put into my car and I am wondering what tranny to use. My car is about 4000lbs and I need to get into boost in first gear. The shop is saying that 5speed would be better for my application then a 6-speed but I would like to get some more oppinions on this.
I hope that shop was joking with you :rolleyes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, putting it into LS400

My concearn is that originally my car had a V8 which could make all that weight move pretty well on the low end. Now with I6 I am not sure that the engine will have enough power to move the car quick enough untill I get into boost. Thus, I need a longer 1st gear. Am I way off here or there is something to be concearned about? I am looking for some professional reply though. Thx.

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
retrodrive said:

My concearn is that originally my car had a V8 which could make all that weight move pretty well on the low end. Now with I6 I am not sure that the engine will have enough power to move the car quick enough untill I get into boost. Thus, I need a longer 1st gear. Am I way off here or there is something to be concearned about? I am looking for some professional reply though. Thx.
Dude, I think you're little out of mind, dont think you can put 2jz-gte on LS400 will handle better.. this car is NOT made for racing, it's a luxury car. Also, this car cannot handle for racing on the street and you would end up in hospital, TRUST ME...

Lexus SC300, SC400, and IS300 would be fine...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
no not really because this is your first thread and basicly you first post. so a search and ask the Lex guys first. You should have done the reasearch before you bought the motor.
yet the 5 speed would get you going I don't think that you should have wasted the money to do this.
Just my .02

·
127 Posts
Just to let everyone know he is already a respected member over at clublexus.com... The least everyone could do it be a little less sarcastic and help the guy out. :cool:

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
retrodrive said:

You are just focusing on one piece of the puzzle my friend....

You also have to factor in what kind of turbos you will be running. If you are in need to off the line power you need to find a smaller less laggy turbo as well. Also you cant froget what kinda rear you will be running as this is a factor as well.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Why not put a badass automatic behind it? Since it's an LS, you might want to stay automatic anyway. Look at the SP400 or something similar.
That said, the 6-speed is much better than a 5-speed and will handle any power level you will throw at it.
If it were my LS, I'd choose an automatic.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
Depending on how you drive the car, and what the gearing of the tranny and the final gear is going to dictate on either the 5 speed or the 6 speed. I would threw a built auto in it and call it a day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh cool...finally some feedback...thx hdsupra and all you guys who responded.
An auto was my #1 choice at first but then I have driven autos for way too long now and I want something different.

Here is the story behind the whole LS300TT. I first wanted to lower the compression on the stock V8 and slap a supercharger on it. However, after extensive research I realized that it would cost me way too much to custom-make almost everything for the project (no parts for our v8's). Then I got offered a partial sponsorship on putting a Supra TT or a Skyline engine under my hood so I decided to go all out and make it a manual as well. The purpose of the car to be as unique as possible for shows, fast enough for me, and interesting enough for magazines. The same project had been done in Japan before and the car was all over Japanese media. I want to be the first one in US to do it. I know I need to concentrate on other things other then tranny but this is just a first stage...a basic BPU upgrades. Once that is done I am going single turbo.

I'll talk to the shop owner tomorrow and see if he can actually explain me why would a 5-speed be better. So far, to my understanding, He wants me to have a longer 1st gear to get in boost faster. It made a lot of sense to me at the time.

BTW, I was not offended by anyone at all. I knew that one quality post will bring more quality replys. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts