Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this before but nobody was able to give me a clear answer where this plug goes. Ppl said things like it was some sort of rpessure sensor for PPS and things like that. I suspect that this plug disconnected is causing me some power steering problems.

First person to take a pic (or a few of them) that CLEARLY shows where to connect this plug gets $5 paypal right away. By "clearly" i mean that after looking at the pic i can go to my car and connect the plug.

Thank you

This is a 2-wire plug comming from the steering rack area. The car is a late 89T with PPS.

·
i <3 supra
1,254 Posts
hahahahaha you beat me to it!!!! make sure you give him your paypal email! :D :D :D

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
The 89+ turbo models they came with PPS, the harness controls valving in the steering neck that changes the rate of your power assist. You can see the harness on the neck part in this picture.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
whoa, are you rebuilding it yourself?

where yah get the parts and is it hard?

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
I rebuilt it several years ago when I had the car all apart. I bought a rebuild kit from Champion Toyota $40 and another $40 for the rack bushings that mount the rack. It's somewhat complicated compared to other things on the car. You need large sockets to use to press all of the races and bearings in and out. Just have to keep everything real clean.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best 5$ i ever spent on this car! I was going to get a new PS pump from Toyota, but with this wire connected the steering problems are GONE.
Apparently with it disconnected, the PPS assumes that the car is going at max speed and the steering is very hard to turn.

·
92 TURBO
1,008 Posts
zz_denis said:
Best 5$ i ever spent on this car! I was going to get a new PS pump from Toyota, but with this wire connected the steering problems are GONE.
Apparently with it disconnected, the PPS assumes that the car is going at max speed and the steering is very hard to turn.
^ Exactly, that's one of the tests to check it. When you disconnect the 2 wire plug to the solenoid on the rack you get FULL by-pass of the pressure to the return, so it's like having no pwr str which is what you want at higher speeds. At idle you have the highest voltage being applied to the solenoid from the PPS ECU. ( NO BY-PASS of fluid taking place)
BTW, It's linear, so the faster you go the less voltage is being applied to the solenoid.
Mike

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
zz_denis said:

Mine must be disconnected as well.

My steering is a bitch in low speed situations.

EDIT- It's connected. :(

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
BTW- it's not a pressure sensor, that's a solenoid that controls the amount of PS boost based on vehicle speed. PPS = progressive power steering

pix:

www.mkiiitech.com/temp/pps

paypal to [email protected]
I know this thread is old as fuck but i'd just like to say, to the dickhead that took the photo down off here, I could kill a bitch over that. Been looking for so long where this connects to to help my buddy out but noooooo, the one time i finally find it some idiot took it down. This is why people give up on using the search function. I'm religious with that shit and this caused me to pull my hair out.

·
Super Moderator
10,938 Posts
I know this thread is old as fuck but i'd just like to say, to the dickhead that took the photo down off here, I could kill a bitch over that. Been looking for so long where this connects to to help my buddy out but noooooo, the one time i finally find it some idiot took it down. This is why people give up on using the search function. I'm religious with that shit and this caused me to pull my hair out.
Posts like this are precisely why those OG's like dr jonez are gone from this site, and why those pics aren't hosted anymore.

I understand the frustration, but there's no call whatsoever to talk that kind of smack about a guy, particularly if the pics are gone because he moved image hosts or deleted them without regard for a thread that is now eight years old.

Bump a thread like this again to threaten a guy's life over literally nothing that is owed to you or anyone else, and I guarantee you'll have a nice vacation from SF and all of the frustrations it brings you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.