Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys for my turbo project i will be running only 5 psi in the beggining. i have only a safc2 and my air to fuel guage for my tuning. since im only doing 5 psi and i have never tuned anything before can anybody give me a rough idea on how to tune the safc. like how much i should richen it and stuff. im very new to this so i need alittle help.

my set up :

xspower t61 (.84 hot side)
xspower tubular manifold.
40mm wastgate
sxpower BOV
2.5 inch intercooler piping
maf inline in the intercooler piping
3 inch intercooler

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
air to fuel as in wideband? if its not a wide band your asking the wrong forum for tuning help...

your gonna need to add fuel between 3000-4000 range, check the af ratio and see where its rich and lean and go from there

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do i have to keep richening it after that? like for example richen 5% at 3500rpm and 2% for every extra 1000rpm? or just when it hits boost?

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
it depends on what the car is doing and what kind of A/F's its running, all the cars and set up are slightly different.

just like bobmarley said, do you have a Wideband A/F gauge or just an electronic A/F gauge that read the stock O2 sensor voltage? unless you have a wideband you cant tell wat kind of A/F ure runing so it will be pretty much impossible to tune it unless you hit the dyno with a wideband.....

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont have an wideband. i will be getting one but not for a month or 2 (im broke).

so with that said is it better to be rich or lien? and are tehre any other tricks i can use like watching the temp guage to see if i start over heating? than changing the safc?

im just trying to make sure i can drive it back home from southcarolina to new jersey. and i dont want to sieze anything or have things melt! im going to be taking a few breaks and letting it cool down but if its better to be driving rich than let me kno or something!

·
Banned
216 Posts
dude....your kidding right?

dont even attempt the install without a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge. NOT a narrow band gauge. if your overheating or think you will, you have other problems that need to be checked on. do it right the first time or you might loose your motor in the process, you will also need timing control to run your car properly when in boost.

if your broke, which im sure we all have been there at one point, wait,SAVE and do it right the first time. make sure your ignition system is in great shape (cap/rotor/wires) and then do your install.

good luck

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
i dont have an wideband. i will be getting one but not for a month or 2 (im broke).

so with that said is it better to be rich or lien? and are tehre any other tricks i can use like watching the temp guage to see if i start over heating? than changing the safc?

im just trying to make sure i can drive it back home from southcarolina to new jersey. and i dont want to sieze anything or have things melt! im going to be taking a few breaks and letting it cool down but if its better to be driving rich than let me kno or something!
Don't do it yourself, I mean this in the nicest way, but you know absolutely nothing about what you would be doing. We can't give you the advice in the amount of time you have to equal the knowledge of an experienced tuner. It takes 30-45 minutes for an experienced tuner to tune an AFC, just pay someone to do it, it's one hour of tuning. I just did it today because when I went in for a dyno pull I found out my A/F was so rich it wouldn't even read. I had the shop tune it for me. Do I think I could have figured out how to do it myself? Probably, but not to the quality the shop could have done. You don't even know how to tune it or what you need to be looking at to tune it. Do you really want to risk all the money you put into the car so that you can blow up the engine because you couldn't just spend another $100 to get it professionally tuned? I mean, you are driving from South Carolina to New Jersey, that is not the maiden voyage you want to have after you attempted to tuned your car. Don't half ass things and don't rush into things. You will pay much more in the long run. Always wait until you have all the funds necessary to complete something, don't cut corners, and if you don't have a spare $100 for tuning, wait to install the turbo kit.

Do you even know what the A/F ratio you should be aiming for is?

Out of the two it's better to run rich, that doesn't mean it's good though. You might foul a spark plug and you might just be getting the worst gas mileage known to man, but it's better than melting your pistons.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
im not starting my NA-T project until i get my wideband, much safer for me and saving my motor.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of the two it's better to run rich, that doesn't mean it's good though. You might foul a spark plug and you might just be getting the worst gas mileage known to man, but it's better than melting your pistons.
thank you. thats all i was asking for. the entire drive back im going to be running before spool. somewhere around 3200 rpms. im going to be making alot of stops on the way to let things cool down and to do some checks. but i was just looking for some help. and i believe i hsould be in the high 11's and low 12's for air/fuel ratio! im still going to see if i can get a wideband to use but its going to be tough! i will see! but thank you and if you have anymore tips for 5 psi tuning please throw them my way. and also if you guys know of any threads or websites that teach you to tune an safc2 please let me know. i have alot of down time in the car with 2 people to be able to read up on a little tuning!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i just bought a lc-1 innovate wideband. it comes with the real shitty readout guage but i can also use my laptop. now does anyone have any helpful hints on the tuning? like how to tune an safc with a wideband. it would be very helpful if u did. thanks

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
Well, first of all, you will still need to schedule some dyno time. I'm not a fan of tuning on the street at all. You will need to make numerous pulls, aim to keep the A/F's around 11.3-11.5 the entire time you are on boost. The AFC doesn't have very many adjustment points though. I believe the way mine was tuned, it actually adds fuel from the lower rev bands and takes it out where needed. I'm not sure about the menu settings, you will have to dig up how to tune on an AFC, but you made the smartest decision of your life by purchasing a wideband. Keep your eye on the A/F the entire way home.

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
at what reading should he start getting worried at?
That is a question I wouldn't know the answer too, I like to play it safe which is why I would rather have mine a little rich...my A/F averages around 11.2:1.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks man. so basically i just drive my car, and have a friend watch the wideband and when it goes to high or to low i adjust it, than do it again until the whole time im in a good range right?

·
Registered
220 Posts
you got the right idea above. just dont romp on the car the first few times and gradually give it more throttle each time. make sure you spread your low and high throttle settings apart. set the low throttle to the throttle % to when you just start felling the turbo spoolin up.... then set your high to the throttle % at where you hit full boost. that will make tuning a lot easier and more friendly to drive in normal conditions also. alot of people set low and hi 1% apart but trust me that is not the way you want it. i am using the safc2 and i read the manual and you want to spread the % apart for a smoother fuel curve!
i am worried about your maf being in the ic piping rather than in front of the turbo... i dont trust that method. if it was reading b4 the turbo it would be reading more air without the air being compressed into boost. i dont have any data to prove it cant work but i really think b4 the turbo is best.
does your wideband allow you to log info on your laptop? if so, you will get a way better reading looking at a/f at all rpm's on a graph rather than having a passanger tell you readings as you drive but that passanger way can be done i guess as long as you are looking at rpm while the passanger is watching the a/f.
this is how i based my safc tuning and i am only running 7psi
14.7 at idle
13.7 easy crusin
12.7 mild boost
11.7 at wot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts