Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my auto to manual in my na. Got a little prob though. My car is 1997 mkiv na and i put in a different ecu due to changing to a manual. I put in a 96 m/t non turbo ecu. Resluts are very very rich mixtures with check engine light on. (100,101,110,340). Filled tank up and drove less then 100mi then i was empty. Prob. blew my cat. Anyone know my problem. Can i use 96 ecu on my 97? Both are obd2. Im now runing it with my auto ecu. Milage back to normal. Can someone tell me whats the difference in using manual ecu??

Thanks

Sonny Caraffa

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on the ecu the numbers are 89661-14700 and on side it says m/t 2jz-ge. What would be the problem if it wasn't the correct year. Doing the swap was easier then i thought. Just took alot of time.

·
Over Medicated
2,720 Posts
If it was an OBD1 ecu I don't htink it would run at all. However you may want to make sure you have the right style of ECU. You see there were Federal Spec cars and California Spec cars. The Cali cars had extra emissions controls, ie O2 sensors, as well as different style idle air control sensors. I tried to use a federal IAC in my Cali car and the damn thing would run but ran extremely rich. Call Toyota they can tell you by the part #'s which ECU is Federal and which is Cali very easily.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My ecu was from the east coast. Do you know if its possible to reprogram the ecu for cali specs. If so , where at. Where did you get the right ecu at.

·
Over Medicated
2,720 Posts
The part # is really the only way to know if it Cali or Federal. I bought my car in Florida but it was originally a Cali car. Run the part #'s to be sure. Thats my best advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts