Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious what turbo would give me 500 rwhp on stock fuel and pump gas. I know once you get past that point traction on the street is basically a joke, and I am not a hardcore drag racer so I need no more then that, and I also dont feel like having to get race gas to make good power since I want my car fast all the time.

I have searched and found people doing this with T78s, and T66s and heard it is even possible with a sp57, but im not too sure about that one. What about a T61? I would like the smallest turbo possible for lag, plus that would make a larger power band I believe?

I would have a safc2 or a hks safr and a fuel pressure regulator to help with fuel

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I would say for the best of both worlds and great spool, its hard to beat the T61, PT61GT, Sp61 etc. I have one and it has put down over 500 rwhp with FPR, FCD, Profec B. @ 21psi. and that is a stock ECU and stock clutch ! Oh Yeah and thats with a 1JZ motor also !

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very nice, i just saw some threads where people got over 500 rwhp with a t61 and a .58 exhaust housing with full boost about 3500 rpms on stock fuel and pump gas, thats pretty damn sweet

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have been considering a methanol system, do you have one ? If so which one and how well does it work,does it add power or just adds safety ? How often do you need to refill, where do you get the methanol ? etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
SP63. Look at my sig. I haven't dynoed, but I have run 97.3mph in the 1/8 mile on 93 octane and 19psi (street boost level) and street tires. I have run more mph on race gas and higher boost. My car was full weight and just like I drive it on the street.

Later, Steve

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
Steve,

When do you see boost and also when do you hit full boost on that set-up (19psi)?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Why the hesitation to put in a fuel system? A good spike and you're looking at a potentially blown motor. Methanol is a good idea. T78 is on full boost at 4200RPM FWIW. I personally would LOVE to see what other turbos spool at but I want to see data logs and not guesses or dyno curves where you have to infer what's going on.

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i was thinkin about a meth kit too just as a precaution, 300 bucks is def worth saving 2 grand on a short block

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve Jarvis said:
SP63. Look at my sig. I haven't dynoed, but I have run 97.3mph in the 1/8 mile on 93 octane and 19psi (street boost level) and street tires. I have run more mph on race gas and higher boost. My car was full weight and just like I drive it on the street.

Later, Steve
very nice man, im guessing the dyno run was on race gas? I would probably run race gas once every little while but i dont want to say my car has 500 rwhp, but currently it has 420 cause i need race gas to get 500

werent u really pushing ur fuel system to the limits on that dyno run?:eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Don't wanna sound like a newb but what is a meth kit? What is its purpose?

·
Registered
770 Posts
pass1914 said:
I have been considering a methanol system, do you have one ? If so which one and how well does it work,does it add power or just adds safety ? How often do you need to refill, where do you get the methanol ? etc. etc.
Yes i do i run Derek's kit. I love it and if i had to do it over again i would buy it. It doesnt really add power but it injects into the TB and cools the air down alot and has alot of octane i think 130. It helps control detonation and lets you push the stock fuel system further and safer. There are alot of safetys you can use and you can set it up to where if you have a boost spike it will kick on, which would save a motor probaly. I refil every week almost if i race alot and i mix it 50/50 with dilluted water. I get it at a dirtbike shop down the road for $3.50 a gallon and 5 gallons will last me over a month. You will save alot of money on race gas but some people dont like meth injection.

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
spooler21 said:
There are alot of safetys you can use and you can set it up to where if you have a boost spike it will kick on, which would save a motor probaly.
is that possible to do with a stock ecu or is that limited to aem users?

·
Registered
770 Posts
It is possible to do on stock ecu. That is what i have you just need a boost solenoid. Write derek he can explain everything to you and is very good at writing back.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
BLKMGK,

A boost spike from a T78 even with a fuel system can pop a motor. Especially if you are running pump gas, which most people do. I run the car on the street 19psi and on the roadcourse 16psi so there is no reason for a fuel system.

I don't have a data logger, but my car made 300rwhp at 3,600rpm on the dyno in fourth gear. This is a good way to compare to other dyno pulls.

99YellowStang,

I was running a 100/93 octane mix on the dyno. My car made 530rwhp at 20.5psi and 490rwhp at 18.5psi. I run 19psi on the street. My car is basically making 500rwhp on pump gas on the street. An SP57 will not do this with the stock MAF and 93 octane pump gas.

I was out of fuel on the 541rwhp run. At 530rwhp I was at 11.8:1 a/f ratio. I upped the boost and made 541rwhp, but my a/f ratio went to 12.5:1. I added more fuel with my S-AFC and made another pull. My a/f ratio stayed at 12.5:1. It was time to call it a day. :)

Later, Steve

·
Registered
575 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
... I run 19psi on the street. My car is basically making 500rwhp on pump gas on the street.
Steve,

Have you ever checked your timing at 19 psi on 93 pump gas?

Mike

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
brad kicked ass with his old setup i believe a SP57 and .58 a/r he made gobs of torque and full spool came by 3500 probably, talk to him yellow99stang dude.

-Brett

btw. its my 1k post :)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I love the T61 because beyond peak dyno numbers, it is very driveable. The power doesn't jump straight up like some of the bigger turbos such as T04Rs when the boost hits, although it does climb steadily to about 4000 before hitting a nice plateau from 4500-6800+ rpm.

On pump gas the T61/.58 is safely limited to around 450ish RWHP and 420++RWTQ, but again with an awesome curve. The high boost 600+ RWHP curves look exactly the same, just much higher up on the graph. :cool:

R

·
0 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
BLKMGK,

A boost spike from a T78 even with a fuel system can pop a motor. Especially if you are running pump gas, which most people do. I run the car on the street 19psi and on the roadcourse 16psi so there is no reason for a fuel system.

I don't have a data logger, but my car made 300rwhp at 3,600rpm on the dyno in fourth gear. This is a good way to compare to other dyno pulls.

99YellowStang,

I was running a 100/93 octane mix on the dyno. My car made 530rwhp at 20.5psi and 490rwhp at 18.5psi. I run 19psi on the street. My car is basically making 500rwhp on pump gas on the street. An SP57 will not do this with the stock MAF and 93 octane pump gas.

I was out of fuel on the 541rwhp run. At 530rwhp I was at 11.8:1 a/f ratio. I upped the boost and made 541rwhp, but my a/f ratio went to 12.5:1. I added more fuel with my S-AFC and made another pull. My a/f ratio stayed at 12.5:1. It was time to call it a day. :)

Later, Steve
Steve,

Based on your experience with the SP63, do you think what 99YellowStang is asking could be realistically achievable with a 63, cast manifold & MAF combo? All this while keeping low-moderate boost levels (16-18psi) and the closest possible spool to a 61? I kind of have the same goals as have been considering this set up.

Thanks ahead,

1 - 20 of 31 Posts