Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Supra 6spd with a PHR Stage 2+ kit. I've been told the only way to raise the rev-limit is to go with a stand-alone EMS. The reason is because that they don't know of anyone who modifies Supra ECU's anymore, and that companies like G-Force are out of business. Anyone with a G-Force ECU that doesn't need it anymore or want to go EMS, Please contact me at [email protected]. it boils down to this, Is there Anyone out there that will modify my ECU to raise the redline or Sell me their already modified ECU OR, is there some other cheaper way to raise my redline. Last question is the AEMS EMS the cheapest Stand-alone system(1700.00 approximately), however, I was reccommended to go with the MOTEC. I just happened to find the AEM EMS myself. BTW, all Stand Alone EMS's you get to set the redline, right? If ANYONE can help me I would REALLY appreciate it and if you ever need a favor I'll return it. This is similiar to a seperate post I did, but I have new information, not to mention I'm only talking about Redline in this one instead of asking 27 questions. Raising the Redline is all I'm interested in, in this Thread.
Thanks,
John
[email protected] is replacing [email protected]
PowerHouseRacing 1998 Supra Turbo Stage 2+ kit
go to www.powerhouseracing.com
Then click on the Gallery button
The second set of Pics down, where it says "John Hand's" Supra, that's mine.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Go with aem and you will be happy. It does most everything, though has a learning curve. The problem with going with an old G-force is that it does little for you except raise the rev limit and maybe a few other things but it is not adjustable. aem is plug and play. Motec is nice but costs big bucks. HKS v-con is nice also but you will have to pay someone else to adjust things. Best to go with aem.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,487 Posts
I would go with either the AEM EMS or the HKS F-Con V-Pro. Both units are excellent. The only problem I see with the AEM is that *some* people have reported problems with it, I believe it's reliability is in the hands of the tuner, but I have only had one for about 0.5 year. On the flip side, saying it's hard to find an HKS certified tuner is BY FAR an understatement. It's scarce.

But with that turbo and possible mods, one of those units is by far the BEST choice. UNLESS, you have the money for Motec, then my previous paragraph is a moot point.

Joe

·
Registered
707 Posts
What are your current mods and then tell me your goals, That will help

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My list of mods are VERY extensive. To help you out, I have a Stage 2+ Powerhouse Turbo kit, Stage 2 Fuel System 95 ECU with MAP-ECU piggyback. Boost Controller, I have the BRembo GT50 Gran Turismo kit at all 4 corners under HRE 540's. Greddy 3 Row Intercooler. It makes approximately 675RWHP. I'm happy with the way the car is, the ONLY thing I want is a Higher redline. That's the only reason I'm doing this, if my redline were 7,500-7,600 I would be perfectly happy with my car the way it is. With the AEM, it allows you to set the redline correct? I have so much more I wanna do to the car, but I've already dumped a tub of money into it. If you added the price of my wheels, plus the price of my Tires, plus the price of my brakes, Just for those three things. I have spent ALOT of money, I spent just shipping it to powerhouse and back.
John

·
Registered
487 Posts
I know everyone wants you to just get some stand-alone EMS/or a better piggy back but hey, if you just want a higher redline and you know that will keep you satisified and you are content with your MAP-ECU to tune...just get that company to raise your redline and be done with it :). No reason to spend more when you all you want to achieve is the increase. Sure the standalone ems/piggy backs will allow you to tune your car better but as you said you have alot of money into this and you are already putting down some reliable power through the MAP ECU. Factoring the cost of the EMS and having it on the dyno and paying someone to tune it also will rack up some cash. DO whatever will make you happy, maybe as i3oca (boca raton, fl) on the forums where he got his redline increased, he's extremely happy with just that.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
If you call technosquare they can raise the rev limit. Just make sure they have a rom board before you send the ecu in. I think its like $750 or so. Also Reg Riemer (RCTS)in canada also does this, providing he can get a rom board also. Reg is a very cool guy and will go out of his way to help you out. I would recomend just picking up a used G-force ecu, they usually have rev limits in the 7500 range. If you dont like it I believe you can send it in and get the limit changed for not much money.

Lawrence

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
why go with technosquare when they are about 200 more than SFS? I still think its rediculous that we have to spend at least 550 for redline adjustment. Freakin gay! If all you really want is redline then i dont reccomend going standalone. Waste of money IMO

Alex

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is a ROM Board, and how does it figure into modifying my ECU. Is the ROM board something I have to buy? or, is it something they need to modify the ECU. I just want a high power Street car. I still have alot to do with my car and the money I set aside for this is getting low. My car's Black, and I'm having it re-painted Black with a Much Higher quality paint, and also a TRD Hood, Fluidyne Radiator, I also just purchased HID's, and even though my headlights weren't in bad shape, if you looked close you could see where bugs had been left on the lights, so I also just bought 2 Brand new Headlamps. My car is Garaged and it wasn't that bad, but, my goal is for it to look like a brand new car off the showroom floor, that's why I have ALL new OEM interior, from the carpet to the leather and the backseat. l want to keep the car Low-Key, stay with subtle mods, until I open it up.The point is I don't have enough money left to do all the things I'm going to do and spend 5-6,000 PLUS Labor and Tuning costs on an EMS. However, now I wish I would have gone with cheaper wheels than HRE's One of the things is, I spent a TON of money to have my car highly tuned by PHR, I sent my car from Palm beach to Taos, NM and had it shipped back from his Texas location. With just an ECU where the only difference is redline, all that tuning will still work. However, with an EMS I would have to do it again. However, I am intrigued by what the advantages of a Stand-Alone. I'm sure the AEM EMS is more tunable than my MAP-ECU Piggyback, but in the end what will that get me? Will I have noticeably less lag, Or will I have a decent amount of extra HP? What makes Technoforce better than SpeedforSale, Speedforsale is slightly cheaper than TechnoSquare. I'll know alot more when I call them tommorow.
Thanks alot for the info guys!!
John

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IGGYWOOWOO said:
From what I just saw on the Technosquare website... It appears that all ecu modifications are for manual transmissions only. Is this true?

I saw that too, they don't mention 97 or 98 Supra's either. Mine is a 98, but it has a 95ECU, I hope it still works.
John

·
SupraForums Sponsor
1,020 Posts
Alx2785 said:
why go with technosquare when they are about 200 more than SFS? I still think its rediculous that we have to spend at least 550 for redline adjustment. Freakin gay! If all you really want is redline then i dont reccomend going standalone. Waste of money IMO

Alex

Actually our price is $725, not $550, but still $50 cheaper than Technosqure and it is the exact same modification/ROM board :)

·
SupraForums Sponsor
1,020 Posts
IGGYWOOWOO said:
From what I just saw on the Technosquare website... It appears that all ecu modifications are for manual transmissions only. Is this true?

We can perform the ROM board modification for the automatic as well, only the top speed limiter cannot be removed as it can with the 6-speed.

The modifications include fuel cut removal (you can sell your Greddy BCC or HKS FCD if you have one), top speed removal on 6-speed, and rev limit raised to whatever you want.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
1,020 Posts
Kurplunk2 said:
What is a ROM Board, and how does it figure into modifying my ECU. Is the ROM board something I have to buy? or, is it something they need to modify the ECU. I just want a high power Street car. I still have alot to do with my car and the money I set aside for this is getting low. My car's Black, and I'm having it re-painted Black with a Much Higher quality paint, and also a TRD Hood, Fluidyne Radiator, I also just purchased HID's, and even though my headlights weren't in bad shape, if you looked close you could see where bugs had been left on the lights, so I also just bought 2 Brand new Headlamps. My car is Garaged and it wasn't that bad, but, my goal is for it to look like a brand new car off the showroom floor, that's why I have ALL new OEM interior, from the carpet to the leather and the backseat. l want to keep the car Low-Key, stay with subtle mods, until I open it up.The point is I don't have enough money left to do all the things I'm going to do and spend 5-6,000 PLUS Labor and Tuning costs on an EMS. However, now I wish I would have gone with cheaper wheels than HRE's One of the things is, I spent a TON of money to have my car highly tuned by PHR, I sent my car from Palm beach to Taos, NM and had it shipped back from his Texas location. With just an ECU where the only difference is redline, all that tuning will still work. However, with an EMS I would have to do it again. However, I am intrigued by what the advantages of a Stand-Alone. I'm sure the AEM EMS is more tunable than my MAP-ECU Piggyback, but in the end what will that get me? Will I have noticeably less lag, Or will I have a decent amount of extra HP? What makes Technoforce better than SpeedforSale, Speedforsale is slightly cheaper than TechnoSquare. I'll know alot more when I call them tommorow.
Thanks alot for the info guys!!
John

ROM stands for Read Only Memory. It cannot be re-written like EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable read only memory) can, so you have to physically change the piece itself and install a new ROM with the edited values written on it. It is the same process that is used for every reprogrammed stock ECU out there such as ours, G-force, technosquare, toyomoto, etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Kurplunk2 said:
What is a ROM Board, and how does it figure into modifying my ECU. Is the ROM board something I have to buy? or, is it something they need to modify the ECU.
Necessary to modify the ECU, similar to altering the story in a book -- you have to add a blank sheet of paper to add your own words and change the plot. As far as ease of use, well, the AEM is clearly easier to adjust since you don't have to send it off, wait for it to return, then test it with all fingers crossed hoping that fuel map (if altered) is correct. That said, cost vs. cost given that you have no desire to alter anything other than rev limit is clearly in favor of modifying stock ECU.

You can see a the ROM board here on the picture I uploaded:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Park said:
Necessary to modify the ECU, similar to altering the story in a book -- you have to add a blank sheet of paper to add your own words and change the plot. As far as ease of use, well, the AEM is clearly easier to adjust since you don't have to send it off, wait for it to return, then test it with all fingers crossed hoping that fuel map (if altered) is correct. That said, cost vs. cost given that you have no desire to alter anything other than rev limit is clearly in favor of modifying stock ECU.

You can see a the ROM board here on the picture I uploaded:
Jeremy or Park, or anybody else who knows. Can the REV-Limit be adjusted on my Supra, because it's a 1998 model with a 95ECU with MAP-ECU PiggyBack. Is any of this a problem?
John

·
SupraForums Sponsor
1,020 Posts
Kurplunk2 said:
Jeremy or Park, or anybody else who knows. Can the REV-Limit be adjusted on my Supra, because it's a 1998 model with a 95ECU with MAP-ECU PiggyBack. Is any of this a problem?
John
Already answered this over the phone with you, but wanted to let anyone else following the thread know that YES you can still raise the rev limit on a swapped ECU, just be sure to specify the ECU's year when ordering.

Thanks for your order John, let me know if you need anything else!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts