Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased an mk3 supra. the head gasket was blown and the interior is ****ed. i've decided to go through the entire car. i know how i want it to look but performance wise i need a little help on. i want 500hp. what do i need to get it there? can i do it with stock rods and pistons? what turbo to run and what size injectors should i use. any information that will help me, i appreciate. thanks

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
I've never seen anybody make 500hp before.

Oh hey, check this out. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

stock rods= yes you can, but can get dangerous if you're not careful
pistons = no (its been done before, but they are one of the weakest links)
turbo = bigger than stock
injectors = bigger than stock.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Engine-race prep the block( gring all casting marks smooth ) have the rods done at a machine shop(balanced, shot peened and casting marks removed and the big end machined). I built some 7m's with coated stock .020 pistons and they were fine at and above 500hp or get CP or JE pistons. Tuning the car is the KEY!!!!
Shim the oil pump(4-1.2mm shims) and run a bigger oil cooler and oil filter relocation kit. If you have the $ to go the extra lil bit get some head work done.

Turbo- for the $ and just and all round good turbo go with a GT4088, exhaust manifold just by a ssautochrome t4 mani there not that bad just check for loose welding in side.

Injectors go with 680's or higher, Aeromotive FPR and 255 walbro fuel pump.

ECU- Aem if funds are still there OR just get a MAFT PRO. I know alot of guys running these and they are great. Plus they get rid of the very restrictive AFM.

I think this should get you started. For all around 6k. Not bad!!

Later Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cams- looking for a company and set that i like without paying an arm and a leg

cam gears

eagle rods with je pistons of coarse

all now bottom end barrings and everything balanced

magnacore ignition wires with iridium spark plugs,msd ignition

ss turbo manifold with 3" downpipe and exhaust

front mount intercooler with piping, koyo radiator

ported polished (port matched) intake manifold and head

stage three 6puk clutch with flywheel

ill look at that turbo. i havent found one yet that im ready to say "hey that one will do" i dont have 1,500 just to spend on a turbo

already have the walbaro fuel pump and fuel pressure reg. i just need injectors

the car is already missing back seats, all air con. including behind the dash, and all the noise deadner.

i just want to be able to smash all the mustangs and camaros around here that think their 13 sec 1/4miles are bad ass lol

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
scratch the iridium spark plugs, they like to act like glow plugs at higher levels

you probably will need dual walbro fuel pumps...

don't need 500HP to smash rustangs or slomaros, I'm under 300 and I beat em all over the place...

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
At the risk of sounding elitist or snobby the Turbo IS what produces the power on these motors I'd sacrifice some of the other parts and buy quality.

·
Registered
747 Posts
IJ whats wrong with a gt4088 turbo...... I've had no problems and I street and road race my supra.

Later Keith

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
Spool: Nothing I was answering the OP as he seems ready to cut a bad corner on this one....

4088 is a great Turbo at a good price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont even have to go this far. i just want a clean supra that has no problems eating alot of things i meet on the road. ive only had rx7s. the latest one was a 93 with a fully rebuilt motor making close to 400hp on only 12psi. ive never had a supra so i dont know what im capable of yet. 500hp doesnt even have to be the first goal. if even 350 would be enough to gain some respect around this place it would be enough. im aiming for that turbo you guys keep mentioning. what is the max power i could make on stock pistons and rods and be safe? those are really expensive and if i can save that for later i will. what mods should i make and which ones should i throw away?

roger

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
your RX-7 is a high end screamer, the Supra uses it's torque to it's advantage.

sure... I got 250HP....but a whole lot more torque unlike that honda he just beat...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
most cars around here run 14s and if your "fast" its around a 13.1 or 12.9. how much power would get 12s. an upgraded ct-26 (stock turbo i think) would be what upgraded? sorry for all the questions just making sure i do it right the first time you know. thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
to get the mkIII into the 12's i would think would take about 400-450 to the wheels but i could be wrong.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if anyone that reads this has a 12 sec mk3, let me know the mods. im also doing weight reduction to help a little.

·
Registered
520 Posts
a whole lot of things involved in 1/4 mile times other than horsepower. all the horsepower in the world is useless if you can't get it to the ground and catch traction. are you auto or manual? for reference there was a guys car i say a few years back that ran 12.0 w/ a 60-1 ct26 that made 370rwhp through a 5spd on a mustang dyno. it really is not too difficult to get into the 12's if you can drive.

·
Registered
747 Posts
on a ct-26 w/58 trim 12 degree clip I ran 12.4 on a mustang dyno. Just for fun!! I never took my Supra to a drag strip....not my thing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts