Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well have been searching the past few days for a single turbo kit etc.. i am looking to make 520+ whp at 18 psi ( i would like as close to 600whp as possible :) ). so far the best streetable turbo i have found is a T67 with a .68 a/r. 4" dp+mp, hks ti 4" cat-back, fmic. now i am confused on a fuel set-up. i have been looking at the vpc and an safc, but the price between the two could almost buy an aem ems. so i am leaning towards a map ecu, i was wondering how that set up is? also i was thinking maybe a small shot of nitrous to get it up to 600whp. if someone could list the best route for my expetations that would be great. thanks in advance.

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
smg944 said:
well have been searching the past few days for a single turbo kit etc.. i am looking to make 520+ whp at 18 psi ( i would like as close to 600whp as possible :) ). so far the best streetable turbo i have found is a T67 with a .68 a/r. 4" dp+mp, hks ti 4" cat-back, fmic. now i am confused on a fuel set-up. i have been looking at the vpc and an safc, but the price between the two could almost buy an aem ems. so i am leaning towards a map ecu, i was wondering how that set up is? also i was thinking maybe a small shot of nitrous to get it up to 600whp. if someone could list the best route for my expetations that would be great. thanks in advance.
Check out my setup, 510rwhp with 264 cams on 93 octane at 18psi. Just find my thread on this page.

AEM is way more expensive than VPC/SuperAFR or VPC/GCC. I paid 550 for the combo of a VPC/SuperAfr. AEM is like 1500.00 or more.

You aren't going to make 600rwhp at 18psi on a 67. It's gonna take a 76 or higher plus cams to do that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
interesting thread. i've always though that the max hp you could make safely was limited by the octane of the fuel (providing you had a big enough turbo and all the supporting fuel)

ie on pump fuel even if you had a massive turbo you won't gain much more hp as the octane of the fuel limits how much hp you can run?????

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i know for just turbo i need a 76mm or larger to reach 600rwhp. the only thing i have noticed is that some people with large turbos like that have surgeing problems. braddman where can you find a vpc/safc for around 550? is it used or new? the vpc i found on suprastore.net was 1100 for the unit alone. thats why i thought it was getting to close to the price of an aem.

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
jasonlee said:
interesting thread. i've always though that the max hp you could make safely was limited by the octane of the fuel (providing you had a big enough turbo and all the supporting fuel)

ie on pump fuel even if you had a massive turbo you won't gain much more hp as the octane of the fuel limits how much hp you can run?????
That's not true, the larger the turbo the more horsepower you can make with less boost, they simply flow much more air. T-88's make extremely good pump gas power over lets say a T67.

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
smg944 said:
yea i know for just turbo i need a 76mm or larger to reach 600rwhp. the only thing i have noticed is that some people with large turbos like that have surgeing problems. braddman where can you find a vpc/safc for around 550? is it used or new? the vpc i found on suprastore.net was 1100 for the unit alone. thats why i thought it was getting to close to the price of an aem.
VPC is discontinued, you can't buy it new, at Suprastore or anywhere else, it's been discontinued for almost 2 years.

Check the for sale section here and all day you'll find VPC/GCC combos at the 500 level.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats funny that they have been discontinued for 2 years. suprastore.com still has them on there like there still availible. for 500-550 i will definatly go with a vpc/safc. anyway, i would like as much power as i can get on pump gas. i will check out the t88 , the only thing that im worried about with one of those is the lag it will produce...

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
braddman said:
That's not true, the larger the turbo the more horsepower you can make with less boost, they simply flow much more air. T-88's make extremely good pump gas power over lets say a T67.

and will have a shitty area under the curve... :dunno: dont use a big turbo unless your gonna use it in the manner it was intended to be used(ie high boost in a non stock rev limited car)....

jay

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
jasonlee said:

Yep... With a bigger turbo you can get more power at the lower octane because the it remains stable. Once you start pushing the envelope the air not only isn't as cool, but it's less stable. The higher octane prevents pre-ignition of the mixture (known as detonation) and "very" bad...

This is a great thread for me. I have similiar goals and am about to post a POLL on a couple of different kits...

I was in the same dilema as you with fuel managment... There is NO way I would use the older technology. I prefer a higher reolution on my fuel curve so an SAFC would be minimal. After adding up the alphabet soop, I bought a used AEM from a forum member for cheaper then the rest of the ABC's.... AND I get the added benefits.

Good luck.

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
smg944 said:
thats funny that they have been discontinued for 2 years. suprastore.com still has them on there like there still availible. for 500-550 i will definatly go with a vpc/safc. anyway, i would like as much power as i can get on pump gas. i will check out the t88 , the only thing that im worried about with one of those is the lag it will produce...

I would look into the T51R-SPL, or the T76-GTS, both are very large and make nice power on pump gas. Seriously laggy though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I made 555rwhp 18psi on pump gas with a T78 VPC/GCC combo. VPC/GCC is currently for sale, but 500 bucks is a little low for what I want out of it.

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
My goals are similar to yours with the 520whp on pump except I went with a .81 housing. I decided to go with a PT67 turbo and the Map ECU. I was originaly going to go the route of the VPC/AFC combo but decided to spend alittle more and go with the Map ECU. I don't have numbers as of yet but my car should be finished up in a week or so and hopefully I will have some after that.

Dave

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
A big turbo at low boost with 600 RWHP but only 200 RWTQ at 4000 isn't worth it to me. You aren't getting anywhere near the powerband at low boost with the monsters. A 67mm/.68 is probably the ideal street setup IMO and can definitely get 500+ safe RWHP on pump gas with piggy backs. The AEM can optimize the timing and could no doubt make well over 500 RWHP with the 67, but I wouldn't push it too far on 93 octane regardless.

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
BLITZSUPRA said:
A big turbo at low boost with 600 RWHP but only 200 RWTQ at 4000 isn't worth it to me. You aren't getting anywhere near the powerband at low boost with the monsters. A 67mm/.68 is probably the ideal street setup IMO and can definitely get 500+ safe RWHP on pump gas with piggy backs. The AEM can optimize the timing and could no doubt make well over 500 RWHP with the 67, but I wouldn't push it too far on 93 octane regardless.
It's gonna take cams to get 500+ out of a 67 with a .68 A/R. I have the dyno sheet to prove it LOL.

509rwhp at 18psi with 264 HKS cams.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,469 Posts
why not get a smaller turbo for cheaper, and then use that extra money for some other extra stuff/ better tune .... so that the powerband is somewhat better instead of an icesikle..since i personally wouldnt go for those big turbos unless i planned on running 30+lbs...

totally correct me if im wrong it was just a thought...

-mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i have been looking at some larger turbo dyno sheets and they are all pretty laggy. i have found a few t67 with .68 a/r. in the 520whp range. so i will probably go with one of those. when i feel the need for 600whp i will shoot the juice in. also does the aem run completely problem free? that ecu seems very tempting even though it is pricy.

·
Registered
960 Posts
braddman said:
It's gonna take cams to get 500+ out of a 67 with a .68 A/R. I have the dyno sheet to prove it LOL.

Is that only with the Turbo & cams, or is that with a FUEL KIT upgrade also???

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
braddman said:

500+rwhp using a 67mm with .68 A/R shouldn't require cams if a 6-speed. Mine made 494 rwhp at 18psi/pump......and mine is an auto.

Brad

·
Registered
960 Posts
In the Turbo Mag. There is a write up on this topic. It is Supra project part 10.
Also when would u hit full Boost? & what HP would u expect out of race gas(c16, etc)

thanks Toby

1 - 20 of 79 Posts