Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Im going to be pulling a 5M from a yard and am planning a complete rebuild as well as rebuilding a W-58.

So I was thinking of turboing the 5M, but then I also though of making the engine really really strong without a turbo.

Now the non turbo version the things with numbers Ill list my questions bellow on both versions.

5M-GE
Head:
-Polished and Balanced Camshafts
-Enlarged Oil Journals(1)
-New Bearings
-Boiled and Dipped Head
-Larger Valves
-Decked
-5M Headers
-RC Intake

Block:
-Bored, enough to get rid of any dings(2)
-Honned
-Boiled and Dipped
-Decked
-Copper Head Gasket
-8Fin Water Pump(3)

Crank:
-7M-GTE Crank(4)
-Polished and Balanced
-Enlared Oil Journals(1)
-New Main/Rod Bearings
-7M-GTE Rods
-Balanced Rods
-Boiled and Dipped Rods

5M-GTE(Same As Above Except)
Head:
-7M-GTE Headers
-MR2 CT-26(Heard they have a ceramic turbine)(5)

Block:
-7/6M Block(6)
-7M-GTE Pistons

Crank:

My Questions
1.) Is enlarged oil journals a good thing? My last 5M died from oil starvation so Im taking precations.
2.) Other then getting rid of the dings, should I bore out further?
3.) Is there a such thing as a 8-Fin water pump to help move more coolant through the engine, or something larger then stock?
4.) Will a 7M-GTE Crank fit snugly in a 5M block and the pulled stick just the right amount out to keep all my current accessories in their current positions?
5.) Are the MR2 CT-26s better then the the Supra ones?
6.) Now if I do a 7M block I heard about there being a coolant tunnel on the back of the block, and not being one on the the back of the 5M head(Yes Im thinking of doing a hybrid). I doubt Ill find a 6M block at a junk yard easily, but if I do the question doesnt matter, because Ill pull the whole engine :D

Did I miss anything? Im liking the idea of a strong 5M that I could turbo in the future if I crave more power. But some help on anything, suggestions, two cents.

Im not planning on doing a 7M or JZ swap anytime soon, thatll be on the next vehicle.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,757 Posts
4.) Will a 7M-GTE Crank fit snugly in a 5M block and the pulled stick just the right amount out to keep all my current accessories in their current positions?
I believe the bottom of the 5M block has to be machined to clear the 7M con rods.

As I'm not a turbo enthusiast, I can't answer anything more.

The 5M/6M/7Ms can handle a good amount of power without being cracked open. I believe Russ Mastevich(sp?) had run up to 600hp on his 6MGTE before his internals started failing/ SO I would say 400-500 is somewhat reliable, but I'll let the other guys chime in on this one

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
Just get a 6MGE from a rabidchimp.com

dont waste your time with all that 7MGTE stuff into the 5m block, in the end you will not be happy with the outcome.

G

·
zank said:
Just get a 6MGE from a rabidchimp.com

dont waste your time with all that 7MGTE stuff into the 5m block, in the end you will not be happy with the outcome.
That's the motor in mine, I'm definetly happy with it. Turbo coming this winter..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
6M-GE $200 @ a yard on the otherside of the hills. Sounds like a really good deal.
7M-GTE $300 @ a yard 50miles north of here. Sounds like a utra good deal with a one year warranty. Still would need the loom, and the project time would be extended to splice the looms.

To be 7M or not to be that is the question. Well I do want to go into automotive electrical engineering. So I guess I should start reading the stuff in the MKIII forum. Damn was hopping I could get this done by august so I could start rebuilding the Heep.

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
XJoshua said:
6M-GE $200 @ a yard on the otherside of the hills. Sounds like a really good deal.
7M-GTE $300 @
sure you might think that 300 for that 7MGTE is a deal but your not taking into consideration the cost of all the other parts you will need to actually swap that engine into the mkii.

your not gonna find much info on 7MGTE swaps into a mkii in the mkiii section on this forum. IMO go and read as much as you can on the swap over at celicasupra.com Search and read as much info about the swap as you can before you post any questions there, otherwise you will be flamed :blast: and told to do a search.

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
jer6 said:
That's the motor in mine, I'm definetly happy with it. Turbo coming this winter..
Let that 6MGE breath and you will love it even more ;) Been there Done that :angel:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea so far Ive understood that I need the loom and ecu, intercooler, some strong tools, and some patience.

Got a handful of air tools, buying hand tools as I need them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok Im going to give my 2 cents

My Questions
1.) Is enlarged oil journals a good thing? My last 5M died from oil starvation so Im taking precations.

if your not carefull about this you can lose oil presure which is a bad thing for the 5m. Also if instrerted Ive got a fully protred and polished head for a turbo app Ill take $600 for the valves are stock size but they have been changed from the factory 3 angle to a 5angle valve and Id let the 6 219cc RC injectors I have go with it.

2.) Other then getting rid of the dings, should I bore out further?

rull of thumb on any engine never bore out anymore then need be.

3.) Is there a such thing as a 8-Fin water pump to help move more coolant through the engine, or something larger then stock?

wished I could help you there I looked for a year or so and could not find anything.

yes but insteed of doing that why not just take a 7mgte bottom end and put the 5m head and accessories on it.
5.) Are the MR2 CT-26s better then the the Supra ones?

no they are smaller will not flow as much air I have a ct26 from a 88 supra that has been rebuilt by turbonetics the shaft was ligten ballenced and a new better flow impeller on the intake side. its a nice set up Id take $600 for it and a 6m intake I have the 6m intake has bigger runners then the 5m and Id say from looking at it that the runners are bigger then a 7m but I cant conferm that.

6.) Now if I do a 7M block I heard about there being a coolant tunnel on the back of the block, and not being one on the the back of the 5M head(Yes Im thinking of doing a hybrid). I doubt Ill find a 6M block at a junk yard easily, but if I do the question doesnt matter, because Ill pull the whole engine :D

Did I miss anything? Im liking the idea of a strong 5M that I could turbo in the future if I crave more power. But some help on anything, suggestions, two cents.

Im not planning on doing a 7M or JZ swap anytime soon, thatll be on the next vehicle

cant blame you there the 7m swap is fun but can be a bitch JZ looks worse. never the less both can be a lot of fun. Myself Im diong a 1uzfe swap that is why I have all the parts I can get rid of and need to for the money I need to finish the 1uzfe set up.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts