Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to get up to 400 crank hp in a reliable condition with a turbo and obviously other mods? Sorry if its a stupid question thanks....

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, but it takes a whole lot of work. If you are price conscious, you may want to just do the 7MGTE swap. Unless you have the skill and tools to do it all yourself, you will spend mucho green to do the engine buildup necessary to make the 5M N/A components Turbo ready (and turbo ready enough to hold that kind of horsepower). You will definitely be looking at porting, new camshaft, lifters, stronger (most likely shot-peined) rods, valve seals, valve work, etc., etc., etc.. Then you have to factor in the price of the turbo, intercooler, piping, decent AFM, wastegate, fuel mangement, etc., etc., etc..

Go for the 7MGTE swap, and most of the work is done for you once you get the engine in. By that I mean, once it is in, and you have changed the harness, exhaust, etc. then you can basically go by MkIII standards for mods. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
yea.... i dont have my supra yet, but i have helped a friend make a n/a car a turbo, and it was a hell ov alot of work and money. from what i hear, it seems fairly simple to put the 7mgte in the mk2.

there is a guy who makes wiring kits, custom oil pan, and dipstick tube for a pretty fair price, though i dont know the link offhand. i think he was in the north west somewhere.

from what he says, all you do is plug it in with the new electrical system "adapter" and the rest is just easy as replacing the engine. then again, i have been "afro-engineering" car repair for a few years now...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Note that even a 7M-GTE will require a fair amount of work and money thrown at it to deliver a genuine 400hp at the flywheel, reliably. Still, many people have been down that road before so you shouldn't have much trouble finding out how to do it. A 5M-GTE is a different story though - there are only a handful of these around, and most of them aren't making anywhere near 400hp.

Of course I could mention "1JZ-GTE", but that would be opening up a whole can of worms. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not trying to rain on your parade, but please think about this:

Assuming you get a 5M or 7MGTE to 400 RWHP, you will need to spend a considerable amount of time on the suspension and brakes to keep up with the engine's potential. Without these mods you are asking to meet Mr Tree face to face (and that's the best possible scenario). With all the money it would take to get the motor/brakes/suspension done, I think you would be better off using a Mk3 or Mk4 as a base platform. Also, in a sub 3000lb car 250-300RWHP would seem enough to be very quick, to me at least.

I'm not trying to shut down your hopes, I just think a MkII may not be the easiest way to get where you are going.

·
Registered
717 Posts
yea... i agree that my old stock supra felt quick, then again i was a new driver, but that was completely stock. i could almost imagine 300hp in that car, but i think i'd be scary. the brakes weren't bad in the supra, but i agree that if you'r running that high of horsepower you'd definately need a bit more braking power. and suspension... the rear end squatted off the line with 150hp. wonder what would happen at 300-400... *squat-bump*

one question... what does the 7mgte weigh in comparison to the 5mge?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I keep the 5m in and turbo it would I benefit from replacing the stock internals with aftermarket? If so how many HP could I expect from stroking it to a 3.0. Will this make the car any less reliable? And what kind of things could I do for minor HP gains before I turbo it. Lastly...how many HP does the mk2 need to be able to keep up with todays ricers and other street cars?

·
Registered
717 Posts
You're talking about turboing and stroking with new internals and all...

So why again arent your just going to a 7mgte? I mean, there is a guy who does all the tricky wiring stuff into a nice little harness for a pretty fair price. There are plenty of write-ups and informative people here to guide you through it. I guess I just dont see your mindset on why you continue to want to upgrade the 5m.

I mean..

you want 3.0L
----the 7mgte has 3.0L

you want beefier internals
----the 7mgte has beefier internals

you want turbo
----the 7mgte has turbo

And that with a nice 3" exhaust would kick any little ricer's arse. And if you come across one that you cant beat, well that is probably just a good excuse to get a bigger turbo : )

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the reason i dont wanna switch is because id rather spend my money in small increments makin a lil hp here and there instead of saving my money for ever to spend $3000 on the 7m....cuz im only 16 ..putting the 7m idea aside for down the road...how does this sound
-aaron garney intake
-Thorley header
-ct-26
-custom 3" exhaust

what else would everyone suggest and how many hp should i get from the stuff above thanks again.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
You could turbo your 5M without any internal mods, just run about 6-8 psi and you'll be good, the CT-26 and 7m mani, intercooler yadda, yadda, bolt up. I'm Going to turbo my 5M soon, I figure if I can get to 185 to 200 rwhp, I'll be smoking. Personally If I had the cash i'd go 6M-GTE then you have 3 litres, and more horsepower and broader amount torque.

·
Registered
427 Posts
YoungNStupid83 said:
I guess the reason i dont wanna switch is because id rather spend my money in small increments makin a lil hp here and there
Sounds logical enough, but unfortunately it doesn't really work that way with turbo conversions (and yes, I've been down this road before). The reality is, you have to spend a big wad of cash all in one go. And you may also find that if you don't do it all at once, you'll end up spending money on things in phase one that have to be thrown away in phase 2 to make way for a more expensive part... definitely not the most cost-effective way to go about it.

-aaron garney intake
You'll have to throw it away when you go turbo.

-Thorley header
As above.
Won't deliver 400hp, so if that's your ultimate goal you should start with something better.

-custom 3" exhaust
This is the only modification I would recommend before installing the turbo.

what else would everyone suggest and how many hp should i get from the stuff above thanks again.....
With no other mods? 250hp, if you're lucky (your fuel system is the biggest limiting factor here).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as how much power gives what performance. I know that in 1983 the Supra was the pace car in the Long Beach, Ca Grand Prix. They put a small turbo on the regular P type supra which raised it to 170 FWHP. I believe Car and driver got a hold of it and said the 0-60 was 7.1, which is a considerable drop from the 8.3-8.6 that the stock car was reporting. So a reletively few horses should bring the car into a more competitive range.

When I was searching for my Supra in 1989 (yeah, I'm old) I actually ran across a 1983 Supra Turbo with an intercooler. It was black with black P type wheels, and it looked very factory original. I didn't buy it because it was doggged out pretty bad (no rear hatch lock, some dents, door locks were inoperable, etc), but I have wondered about that car ever since. Anybody know if Toyota made a turbo in 83' ?

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
It was probably a car with a Spearco turbo kit. Could have also been a HKS kit. But my money is on the Spearco kit, many more seem to have been installed. Both of these kit the intercooler is on top of the engine. The HKS one the intake pipe over the motor is the intercooler and has a 45 deg or so elbow look to it. The Spearco one is straight or even a non-existent intercooler from what I understand.

Aaron I

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks SilverMk2,

Any Idea how much power the turbo added to the car?

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Square said:
They put a small turbo on the regular P type supra which raised it to 170 FWHP.
If you mean FWHP is flywheel horsepower then that's only 10 more than a stock 85. 10 hp won't lower your times that much.

If you mean FWHP is front-wheel horsepower then you're wrong. They're RWD cars. :)

Just turbo the 5M-GE for $1500 and you'll have 230 hp.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Quick,

Yeah, I ment Fly Wheel Horse Power. I thought it was 170 for the pace car. I still have the article in a drawer somewhere at the house, I will have to see if my memory is faulty (which it probably is :eek: ).

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmmm, Think I may take a go at 5M-GTE....only concern is....reliablity........motor has 186K Now...need valve stem seals...guess maybe do Headgasket as well?....I'm shootin fot at least 215 Crank HP...and then eventually end up doing 2.5-3.0 exhaust..and 6M-GTE......I Can get the Manifold, Turbo, and Intercooler for around $200....What else am I Gonna need?
Upper intake Pipe? Custom Downpipe? fuel pressure regulator?
Aaron G sells turbo lines now..guess prob need those as well...and if Don C sells oil pans with fittings for return lines already in place prob invest in one of those as well...damn still lookin at around $600-800 :-(

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
My understanding is that going 5M-GTE on the cheap is $1500.

Hope that helps.

Talk to Aaron Garney for additional information.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
then again, i have been "afro-engineering" car repair for a few years now...
The Politically Correct weenies in the MKIII forum started yelling at me because I didn't compromise and said outright the term Nigger Rigging. Sigh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts