Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Moderator/Troll Slayer
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like the modifications have begun. Gonna go with a 5m Diff for its options in gears and stability. Anyone else interested in a possible STRONG rear diff without going to a Ford 9in :) If you are let me know..... JT at www.maxxautoworks.com is in the process to moding the 7m rear end to allow this to happen. 500rwhp wont last long with the stock 7m rear end.... trust me i know. This is just a idea that i am going to go with..... it was either this or Tub out the rearend and throw in a Ford 9in..... which would also be sweet but alot of work and FAR from the stock look i want for at least the interior of my ride. Thanks for your time.... i dont know all the details yet of the specs but i will post when i find out.

Trey

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 85 to 88 Toyota Cressida has the same rear as the MKII.It is was so weak I had to put the MKIII rear in.You must know some secret that I don't know.

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
its not the diff thats weak, its the factory lsd. trey, keep your 8in diff and use a true trac or power brute lsd. i busted 2 diffs in my mkii with 7mgte. the true trac is a helical gear lsd. it is meant for the toy 4x4 trucks . the mkii can use one for the front diff of a 4x4 4runner. im sure the 8in diff in the mkiii accepts the same lsd as the rear 8in diff in the trucks as well. check out www.reiderracing.com the truetrack in the toy 8in application should work., and they also sell lots of gear sets.
william

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The MKII uses a 7.5" ring and pinion which also resides in the front of my Toyota 4x4 pickup. The MKIII uses the same 8" ring and pinion as the V6 rear diff in my pickup. The 8" is MUCH stronger; trust me. If the LSD is the weaklink, remove it and replace it with a Truetrac, JZ torsen or ARB air locker.

·
Moderator/Troll Slayer
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow didnt expect this much responce. I wasnt saying a STOCK MKIII diff is weaker than a MKII diff.... dont get so defencive guys.... jesus christ. The actual housing and components available make it easier to BUILD and Choices of gear ratios are much more plentiful. Just like someone said the MKII diff is alomst identical to the Toyota Trucks. Therefore you can make it Strong and still have many options on gear ratios. Read up on your 4x4 offroad power transplants (trannys, drivelines and diffs). Most of these trucks are pushing way more torque than some of can dream of. therefore the diff design and options available provide me with more options that directly pertain to my task at hand. If you dont belive me that the stock MKIII diff isnt 500HP ready stock then i will snap pictures of my stock rearend along with my stock suspension that broke in half. Most people arnt going to go for the amount of torque my motor is going to put out. There for the MKIII rearend is more than capable of what you put though it. More details to come.

·
Moderator/Troll Slayer
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
williamb82 said:
its not the diff thats weak, its the factory lsd. trey, keep your 8in diff and use a true trac or power brute lsd. i busted 2 diffs in my mkii with 7mgte. the true trac is a helical gear lsd. it is meant for the toy 4x4 trucks . the mkii can use one for the front diff of a 4x4 4runner. im sure the 8in diff in the mkiii accepts the same lsd as the rear 8in diff in the trucks as well. check out www.reiderracing.com the truetrack in the toy 8in application should work., and they also sell lots of gear sets.
william
William thanks for the info bud....... i by far am not throwing a stock MKII Diff in my car...... im not crazy. :) good info... thank you!

Trey

·
Moderator/Troll Slayer
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah what makes you think the 5m diff is stronger? There are quite a few people doing over 500rwhp and very easily on the stock 7m rear end. Why do you think it won't last long?
Because ive been through 2.......... i know others with the same prob..... they are a good diff.... my point was (it was my fault i didnt make it clear... my bad) is that options to build the 7m diff is scarce.... there are MANY more options for the 5m diff. thats all.

B

·
0 Posts
.. i thoght all the 8" truck ring and pinions offered for toyotas fit the mk3 diff.. and besides, how much building do you want to do? im pretty sure there is a spool kit that works for our diffs. otherwise you could just weld our diffs solid.. if you're trying to put a bigger gear in the back, i hope you got a motor that can rev high enough to trap properly in the 1/4 mile.

·
2,279 Posts
What have I contributed lately? A budget intercooler spray bar, a budget interfreeze setup, really got the ball rolling on the soon to be produced MAFT by ramchargers, found a windage tray for our cars, soon to have the rare hatch bar replicated for the masses. Hrrmmm, I kinda think that outweighs you by a large degree. BTW, thats only a list from the past couple months. If we go back further than it realy starts tilting...

You said you were going to swap in a MK2 diff, you said nothing about building it. Hence my reply.

·
Moderator/Troll Slayer
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SupraTrey said:
Well it looks like the modifications have begun. Gonna go with a 5m Diff for its options in gears and stability.
I know its not that clear..... but this was my point..... "gonna go with a 5m diff for its OPTIONS in gears and stability" Meaning that i can build it easier with more aftermarket parts available.

bdekoning - i already have a spool for my 7m diff. its not that thats the problem...... i cant run a spool on the freeway/street.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts