Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. My girlfriends 91 Cressida just died. The head gasket finally blew after all these years of being re-torqued. The heads dead (over heated twisted and ate the cams) and the block has the dreaded deteriorated upper deck. Were scrapping it. I have repaired alot of cars in my time but I am not willing to put the money anymore into this car. Too much milage.

I have come across another Cressida (older model) with the 5MGE engine in it. Do these cars also have the dreaded head gasket problems like the 7MG engines or do the blocks at least remain in tact?

If you guys could help me out with what to look for in these motors it would be great. I dont mind if the head gasket is a weak spot as long as the deck remains in tact and its a simple change. Not like on the 7MG wich destroys itself in the process. Does retourquing the heads help? This Cressida I am looing at in perticular has 190,000 KMS on it. Dont know excatly what that is in miles but its over 130,000miles anyways.

Any and all comments are welcome. I dont want to get into another jam thats all. I would like to know the weak point on this 5MGE motor before I jump into the deal.

Thanks.
Jim.

·
Twin-Turbos 2X the Proble
806 Posts
You're basically looking at the same motor, only destroked with a 2-valve head. Their are a few HG problems with the 5M, but not NEARLY the amount as the 7m. Its pretty much confirmed that if you own or have ever owned a 7M, its blown its HG.

Lots of 5M guys have put 300,000kms on those motors without ever pulling the head off.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Hello; I have a '91 Cressida also; and I would like to purchase some interior/exterior pieces from you, if you are willing to sell them. Please let me know, thanks. :)

oh, and the 5m-ge will last a lifetime, just look for worn valve seals.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 83' Supra with 227K miles on the motor. I had a hairline crack in the head at 150K. I had it welded and had a valve job done since the head was off. I have never had a head gasket problem with the car (I got the car in August of 1989 at 105K miles), and the bottom end is all original at 227K.

·
Registered
717 Posts
6000rpm drifts dont do the 5m too well, atleast mine didn't like it

I'm not sure what is loose now, but something sure is.

--BillyM

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
I beat my blue 5m car to death. I never really revved it over 5500rpms, since it doesnt make any power up there anyways. It had 85k HARD miles on it (~150k total), and that included a lot of autox, street racing, and 'drifting'

It burned a little oil, but never broke down mechanically. @150k when I sold it, compression was great and the car ran hard.

I really dont know of a distinct engine trouble spot aside from leaky cam towers and an igniter that will die before 100k miles. Neither are a big deal. The engine may heat soak at times.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. This older Cressida is beginning to sound alot better then our 1991. You guys will be seeing more of DrZOOM in the near future. I will make an appointment to see this perticular one, and start the 5MGE Cressida search. There seems to be alot more them around here for sale. The best part of the older ones it they are so ignored by buyers the prices are always nice and low. No one seems to want them. Must be the ugly mags Toyota used:)
Lots of Toyotas have weak valve seals it seems. My MR2 and Corolla had that. Thats an easy fix and almost expected from me.
Should I investigate for a cracked head or is a only a fluke problem that happens?
Whats the problem with the cooling system?

Thermactor: Contact me through my email: [email protected] for the parts.

Thanks for the help so far guys.
By the way, I am not new to Toyotas. I drive a mint 1986 MR2 in the summer and a 1984 Corolla SR5 in the winter.
Jim.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hairline crack in my head was never a problem for me. I took the car in for something else (I forget what), and my mechanic found it during that other repair.

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
I think cooling problems are a problem with many older cars due to neglect. Is there a fundamental inefficiency with the stock cooling system if maintained properly?

SupraFiend said:
cooling problems are common and any original valve stem sells will need replacing.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
5 and 6MGEs are extremely reliable when they are taken care of. My 1st MkII had just shy of 210k on it when I sold it, and it burned and leaked no oil all orginal ran perfect. The only real problems you'll see are common on all older cars. Rubber just doesn't hold up too well after 15+ years, its just a fact of life. You'll see BHGs on 5MGEs every once in a while but its nowhere near the problem it is on 5MEs and 7Ms.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Thermactor, what do you need on the interior? They have 2 Cressida at the nearby junk yard where I live. One is 88 or 89 with red color interior , the other is 83. They also have engine in its, but I cant tell the condition on engine. Just let me know and when I finish I final exams I will help you out.

oh, and the 5m-ge will last a lifetime, just look for worn valve seals.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh I forgot, How come the 89 Cressida engine looks just like my 85 mkii, especially the intake? What is BHGs means?
thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Malloy said:
I think cooling problems are a problem with many older cars due to neglect. Is there a fundamental inefficiency with the stock cooling system if maintained properly?
There's nothing wrong with the cooling system; it works great if it's in good condition. When I had a 6M-GE in my Supra (ie significantly more power than standard), it survived two Australian summers with the aircon cranked and a loose nut behind the wheel. The radiator had been replaced shortly before I bought the car, and it performed flawlessly in city and highway conditions - the temp gauge never moved from its normal position.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I went to see that car yesterday and it was bad news. Not at all in acceptable condition so the search is still on.

I am also going to jump forums for a try to see if anybody local might have a N/A 7MGE left over from doing a turbo swap. This car has cost us a bundle so far. Almost more then what its value is without the engine/head/gasket failure. I am not keen on keeping it and re-repairing it again but living without one set of wheels is like living without one leg. Its hurts!!

Need a car, need a car......:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
942 Posts
The stock cooling system is more then up to the task of keeping a strong 5m cool, but there seems to be more then the usual number of overheating cases in these cars. Just do a search for "overheating" "runs hot" etc in Celica Supra list archives to see what I mean. The only real weak spot I've managed to identify thats specific to 5ms so far (mostly celica supras actually) is the heater core valve. The higher milage ones seem to start seeping around their seams when the cooling system is fully pressurized. Other then that the cause of peoples problems generally are pin holes in the rad, bad and leaky rad hoses, corroded water pumps etc, normal stuff for any 15+ year old car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 5m has been very reliable and balanced for me for over 18 years after buying it used. The back of the head wears out fast because of a removable emissions hose that causes the gasket to wear out in the back. But it leaks oil and still runs like a champ. The motor is durable. Harder to find parts for but the parts last. Only has 161 hp but it is solid and has good torque, thus off roaders love this motor and the 7m's. I was curious to learn about the 7m's being time bombs and was debating a 7m or 5m fun swap into my 83 Starlet. I think it could fit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts