Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the site about auto -> 5sp swap, but nothing has seemed to answer my specific question.

I have a mkii w58, pp, disc, flywheel, t/o bearing, clutch master cyl. I've read that the r154 is easy to swap in, but havent seen much on w58 swaps. Obviously it is not as strong, but the 88t is stock, and I wont be pushing the limits of the w58 for a while (at least until I can afford r154). As I totally hate auto's, and I may be pulling this motor anyway, I'd as soon do the swap now. Also, all this stuff is pretty much brand new, I dont want to waste it, I dont want to spend more on new stuff.

My questions:
MKiii diff is not the same, so what am I to do about the driveshaft?
The mkiii clutch master will swap into a mkii, does it go backward?
Is the mkii/mkiii w58 shifter in the same location? I know the r154 is a bit farther back, at least when swapping into mkii.
Is the tranny mount (rear) in the same location?

So I am assuming that I will need, in addition to what I have:
mk3 clutch pedal
mk3 center console for m/t
Hydraulic line from mk3 (master -> slave)
Mounting brackets
*Figure out driveshaft*

So then, all I should have to do when switching to r154, down the road, is new pp and disc, really. Any help, and I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, not really. They put the w series in some trucks, but as a whole it is not as strong as r154. It'll break around 300-350hp or so after repeated abuse. It was designed for a 5m with only 160 at the crank....

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
Yeah true, If i was in your postion, i would try sell the W58 stuff and get a R154, if it was an option. But if you dont plan on pushing the limits as you said before, The W58 should be fine.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
toyota_supra_1988 said:
ive heard the W58 is stronger than the R154 because the w58 is a truck tranny? The R154 shifts better.
that is the most assbackwards comment EVER! lol

the r154 is completely superior...and is the "truck" tranmission with theR series benig used in older tacomas and something else i think....

the w58 shifts slightly smoother then the r154.

on a sidenote...if you want the r154 conversion i have the whole kit for 450 plus shipping...OR 275 plus shipping for the tranny.... let me know ;)

B

·
0 Posts
The W58 is also a truck tranny.. 85+ pickups and 4runners use it.. 22RE's at least.. at the time i dont think the r154 was in trucks.. maybe later in tacos.. but were talking mid to late 80's

·
5,467 Posts
BLADERUNNER said:
The W58 is also a truck tranny.. 85+ pickups and 4runners use it.. 22RE's at least.. at the time i dont think the r154 was in trucks.. maybe later in tacos.. but were talking mid to late 80's

i agree i was just stating the "unobvious" ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
The R151F was used in the turbo 22re's in the 86-87 trucks / 4runners, and the R150F was used in the 88-95.5 pickups / 4runners with the v6. The W and G series was used in the 22r and 22re trucks and 4runners. The R154 was never used in the trucks - it is the only one of the bunch that uses a pull type clutch, all the rest mentioned are push type.

I don't know what the tacos use.

EDIT: had the 151 / 150 backwards (oops)

·
5,467 Posts
gte4runner said:
The R150F was used in the turbo 22re's in the 86-87 trucks / 4runners, and the R151F was used in the 88-95.5 pickups / 4runners with the v6. The W and G series was used in the 22r and 22re trucks and 4runners. The R154 was never used in the trucks - it is the only one of the bunch that uses a pull type clutch, all the rest mentioned are push type.

good to get some specific models... i knew the r154 wasnt what was used...thats why i said R series ;)

anyways thanks for the info...

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
mk2racer said:
I searched the site about auto -> 5sp swap, but nothing has seemed to answer my specific question.

I have a mkii w58, pp, disc, flywheel, t/o bearing, clutch master cyl. I've read that the r154 is easy to swap in, but havent seen much on w58 swaps. Obviously it is not as strong, but the 88t is stock, and I wont be pushing the limits of the w58 for a while (at least until I can afford r154). As I totally hate auto's, and I may be pulling this motor anyway, I'd as soon do the swap now. Also, all this stuff is pretty much brand new, I dont want to waste it, I dont want to spend more on new stuff.

My questions:
MKiii diff is not the same, so what am I to do about the driveshaft?
The mkiii clutch master will swap into a mkii, does it go backward?
Is the mkii/mkiii w58 shifter in the same location? I know the r154 is a bit farther back, at least when swapping into mkii.
Is the tranny mount (rear) in the same location?

So I am assuming that I will need, in addition to what I have:
mk3 clutch pedal
mk3 center console for m/t
Hydraulic line from mk3 (master -> slave)
Mounting brackets
*Figure out driveshaft*

So then, all I should have to do when switching to r154, down the road, is new pp and disc, really. Any help, and I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.
Back to your original question:

The W58 should be the same in the MK2 as the mk3. So I would assume you can just use mk3 na transmission crossmember and driveshaft, along with the lower transmission/engine braces from the mk2. I would just have custom braided hydraulic line made, leaving you needing a brake/clutch pedal from a mk3 as well as a master cylinder (plus the manual center console/shift boot)

The only potential problems I forsee:

*The mk2 did not have an option for ABS brakes. If your mk3 has ABS, you may not have a sensor (nor bung) for the rear speed sensor. If this is true, you'd probably have to order/find a w58 tail section from a mk3na with abs (or run without them until you get the r154).

*The mk2 clutch probably won't like bpu turbo power. It may start slipping

*You will fall in love with the smooth shifting w58 and forget all about the r154

As for the last question "What will I need to switch to a r154 after already converting to w58":

You'd need a R154 transmission, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, driveshaft from a mk3 turbo 5spd, transmission crossmember from a mk3 turbo 5spd, and probably a slave cylinder from a mk3 turbo 5spd. Basically you will need to re-do almost everything you changed to put a w58 in ;)

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It does have abs, where is this speed sensor- on the tarnny? I thought they were at the wheels themselves....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts