Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ΣΦE
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much depth is allowed for a 6.5" sub if I put it in the stock sub location. The JL's seem to have a depth of 4 3/16" while the Kicker CompVT 08CVT654 has one of 2-7/8". Is it a lot of work to get a 6.5" sub to fit?

Also, what are the depths of the stock rear speakers? I know a lot of people have had problems with some 6.5" coaxials not mounting well but Infinity does make a shallow speaker (Reference 6022si) that I was thinking about getting.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I recently installed a speaker in factory sub location with mounting depth: 2-3/8" at it is already touching the bottom of the enclosure.
The screws hold it in place with no issues.
Vic

·
ΣΦE
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does it sound having a speaker in place of the factory sub?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
a little more bass but not enough to shake stuff up like real subwoofers. It's just a regular speaker in there.

·
ΣΦE
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you put in a 5x7? Does it at least have more bass than the factory sub? I may just have to go this route as even the shallow mount sub may be too deep.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I put in a 6x8. with depth of 2-3/8. Everything fits with no room to spare.
I did try to look for a nice shallow mount (6.5/8)sub but they are all too big for the factory enclosure. So the only way to fit a 'real' sub is a aftermarket sub box.
How does it sound? It does hit harder than the factory speaker in there... but if your a real audiophile, then this wouldn't be the way to go.
I'm fine with anything better than factory sound. :)
Vic

·
ΣΦE
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May I ask what exact speaker you chose for your application? Yea, at this point anything is better than the blown factory sub I have. I also don't want to spend the money or lose trunk space for a real sub. I appreciate all the help!

·
Banned
700 Posts
did you wire it in to your HU or amp where the sub goes what?

Do you also have rear speakers?

Just realised you may have used the stocl wiring for everything and just changed the speakers.

I have a new Kenwood dnx6140 and cant decide what to do while I have the dash out I know I want to change the tweeters so it cant be an issue later.

TIA,
Anthony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts