Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My installer needed the car overnight because he said it took 6 hours to install the coilovers. He said a lot of suspension parts had to be removed including the a arms? Luckily he quoted me only $250 before he started, but is the coilover install that much more difficult on Supras?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Get a new mechanic.

The A-arms have enough travel up and down to remove the shocks without having to take them out. He should not have needed to remove any other suspension components besides what shocks/springs in one piece, and install the new one.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It is not a 6 hour ordeal/install. Even if you have to use a spring compressor for the assembly of it, it still isn't 6 hours :(

·
Banned
888 Posts
i can see it being a 4 hour job, i dunno about 6......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, I at least needed to remove the front A-arms from the body end.. but not from the wheel housing! It's not a big task but it was something... After that it's very easy to get the old ones out and new ones in.

6 hours is way too long.. should be like 3 hours max! I wonder what he has removed and why ;)

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
no way its an 6 hour install. We installed my Shocks and springs in our drive way with jacks and stands. I think it took us 3 hours maybe? Some bolts didnt want to come off haha !

If we had a lift it would of been much faster.

I see your near Tampa. You should contact http://www.drivenconcepts.net/

They are Supra owners that own and run that shop. They do awesome work. They are also members on here on the forum. You should hang out in the FL section more often .

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
I do coilovers in about 1.5hrs but ive done a ton of them. Though I do usually spend another 1/2hr+ trying to get the stance right.

·
V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!!
715 Posts
Did it myself the first time with two friends helping. Not a clue where to begin but finished in 4 hours. 6 hours even for a newb like me is too much!

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
I install coil overs at my shop for $149.99. 250 is outrageous. Give me a call next time you need some work, we are located in Tampa, FL right off of I275. 813-236-4500 www.DrivenConcepts.net

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
6hrs is how long it takes for someone who has never done anything like that before. It can appear that you have to remove the lower arms until you realize that you can push down on the hub and make enough room to pop out the shock. Now if you are replacing the bushings on the control arms too (which you should be doing BTW), it will take a long time, depending on the condition of the control arm bolts and whatnot.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
6 hrs?!!! was he drunk?!

·
11,221 Posts
$250 ain't bad, $150's even better though. Helped a buddy of mine install Teins and it was pretty straight forward. We hardly had any tools, but I'd rather shell it out and just sit back and relax.

·
11,221 Posts
Can you install coilovers without using a spring compressor?
It depends on if you are using the stock bump stops (aka top hats). If you are, then you need a spring compressor to switch it over. If you buy the coilovers with the top hats preinstalled, then you don't.

Make sense?

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
It depends on if you are using the stock bump stops (aka top hats). If you are, then you need a spring compressor to switch it over. If you buy the coilovers with the top hats preinstalled, then you don't.

Make sense?
No. :lol: I just removed mine without a compressor and everything is completely apart. I don't see how me using the compressor would help me reuse the stock hats????

Alex

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
No. :lol: I just removed mine without a compressor and everything is completely apart. I don't see how me using the compressor would help me reuse the stock hats????

Alex
Yea I always use and airgun too. Except on nice shocks Ill do it by hand so I dont damage the seals by spinning the shaft to much.
Sometimes you need the compressor if your using drop springs but ive never use them to do coilovers.

·
'94 TT Blk/Blk 6 spd
145 Posts
I installed my Tein's ~2 months ago, and had searched every living thread on this forum (when the search was actually functional), and personally, on my 56,000 mile '94, my stock suspension components did not come out near as easily as what others had described. The rears are notably easier than the fronts, and can be swapped in around an hour, for even a first timer.
On the other hand, the fronts can cause more problems. Even stepping on the brake hats, to give the suspension full travel, it just wasn't physically possible to wedge the base of the stock shock mount away from its housing, to be drawn out from there. Instead of removing the A-arm, I temorarily removed the 'C' cut base the shock fits into, which therefore gave me more room to manuever the stock suspension out of the way. All in all, it should be around a 4 hour job for a first timer, leaving the aftermarket coilovers much easier to be installed. Oh, and make sure to have a friend there to help. Def. a 2-man job. Hope this helps.
-Taylor

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,090 Posts
I'd serisouly look into a new mechanic, it took me 2 hours to put the tein togethers and installing them, and thats whith half of hour taking pictures and showing friends how cool these looked lol.

·
Registered
952 Posts
the trick to the front is to remove the tie bar that connects to the front strut. after you do that, it will give you plenty of room to get the suspension out. :) my friend and I did the install in 1.5 hrs on jack stand. Took an extra hour to raise up and adjust the coilover to my liking. 6 hrs is way too long.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts