Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be buying a used one with about 40,000 miles on it. Anything I should check into on it?

·
Registered
MKIV TT 6 Speed
1,488 Posts
There is not really a way to check if the gear box is any good if its not installed on the car unless you want to open up the casing a visually inspect the shafts and gears. That a pain in the butt. Cross your fingers, with only 40k on it you shouldn’t really have any problems if it was run normal unless the owner ran it super hard i.e. track, strip, drift etc.. Or if it came off a really high HP Supra.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is not really a way to check if the gear box is any good if its not installed on the car unless you want to open up the casing a visually inspect the shafts and gears. That a pain in the butt. Cross your fingers, with only 40k on it you shouldn’t really have any problems if it was run normal unless the owner ran it super hard i.e. track, strip, drift etc.. Or if it came off a really high HP Supra.
Alright thanks. Its in Cali so I only have pics to go by. Id hate to get screwed over though.

·
Super Moderator
10,373 Posts
I wouldn't trust anyone except someplace like Champion to open up a Getrag. Most Getrags are well maintained which is a nice perk, but worst case scenario you can send it off to Champion Toyota for a proper rebuild if need be.

·
Banned
34 Posts
hmmm only real way is to install it and see how it goes or send it somewhere to get inspected. royal purple syncromax works fairly well in the getrags.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, well I guess I'll have to find out how it was used, if it was in a drag car or what ever.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
even so, if your getting it for a really good deal i would get it. Like the other guys said....worse comes to worst send it out and have it built.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
even so, if your getting it for a really good deal i would get it. Like the other guys said....worse comes to worst send it out and have it built.
Any idea what it'll cost to build it if it needs to be?

·
Registered
243 Posts
What are you paying for it? I'm getting ready to buy one as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 11 of 11 Posts