Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that this fluid may be different depending what year mkiv you have. Some take gear oil and some dont. Is this true and if so how can you tell what to replace my fluid with? The only reason I ask is becaue my ride doesnt have the original tranny. When I purchased the car the previous owner mentioned that the last tranny had the wrong fluid in it causing internal failure.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
V160 Fluid only. A type of ATF fluid. Nothing else. I have royal purple synchromax and it works fine.

NO GEAR OIL!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stick with the toyota v160 others have had problems in the past after other fluids.
I think it is regarding seals swelling or something.
Someone else may know for sure but years ago quite a few had real problems.
Len

·
You serious?
3,000 Posts
If the tranny is MT, I would use nothing but V160. It's what I used for 5+ years of owning my 94 6 speed. I've heard good things and bad things about that "purple" stuff. I have never heard anything bad about the V160.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Stick with the toyota v160 others have had problems in the past after other fluids.
I think it is regarding seals swelling or something.
Someone else may know for sure but years ago quite a few had real problems.
Len
People reported swelling from the Redline transmission product, from what I've read.

I too, use Royal Purple Synchromax and it works fine for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I also used Royal Purple Synchromax after running V160 fluid. With V160 I had a rear seal leak that went away after replacing with RP Synchromax. Also, the transmission is smoother now as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use only V160. Why take a chance on RP when you can use the V160 oil and be sure you are using the oil that was specifically formulated for the transmission. Peace of mind...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts