Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my supra and i noticed that when i shift at times it'll hit something before going into gear, not a smooth shift. Its not all the time, there'll be times it'll go into gear smoothly. Once in gear it'll be fine, doesn't slip or make any other noises. Any one have any suggestions?? By the way the car is completely stock.

·
Banned
302 Posts
it drives like a race tranny, i love it man, im pretty sure all our cars do this, its not a smooth tranny since it can handle over 1000+ hp. smooth and rubbery shifting sucks, im absoloutely love our 6-speed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So there's no need to adjust anything or bleed the clutch? Some one told me that it might just have air in the system or that i need to adjust the clutch petal. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd & 4th its more noticable, it'd get stuck then go into gear. ?????

·
Registered
922 Posts
Supra trannies shift nasty.

Some have worn synchros. But you can't really just slam it into gear you kinda have to baby it just driving around.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Gotta love the Getrag...and according to MKIV.com, when taking off once and awhile, you will hear a "ball bearing in tin can" sound....:lol:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankx...I thought i had to do some maintenance already, not even 1 week old. I guess I'll just have to get use to it. What do you guys think $18grand for 94 tt/ 6sp Blk/blk 85k mint body??? Once again thankx for the inputs.

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Yeah the Supra tranny rocks...But once you hear some grinding thats no good :)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
"Bleeding the clutch" won't affect shifting feel or anything with the shifter. It affects your clutch pedal. And yes, the supra gearbox is somewhat rough/notchy but you get used to it pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Jayr0071 said:
Thankx...I thought i had to do some maintenance already, not even 1 week old. I guess I'll just have to get use to it. What do you guys think $18grand for 94 tt/ 6sp Blk/blk 85k mint body??? Once again thankx for the inputs.
dang what a steal!!! you lucky punk lol... i just picked mine up saturday and drove it home for 6 hours , paid $21,8 for it and have 113k black black 6 speed... whats your AIM jay, send me some pictures to [email protected]

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$21k is what he wanted at first, but with 2 weeks of negotiating I brought him down to 18k. I'm just glad he didn't post it online, or else i know it would of been gone. It was local buy, .2 miles from my base. I'll send you some pics.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
if youve ever felt a COBRA shifter, you would LOOOOOVE the supra tranny... cobras are sooo clunky and hard, and they make the worst noises, but they still KICK ASS.

·
95Turbo
930 Posts
Just wait till up upgrade the clutch, and the chatter you'll have to look forward to. :freak:

Just give it some time.. learn the car a bit better and you'll grow to love it. Pretty soon you wont even be noticing it. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
u SHOULD change your tranny fluid..
especially since ur stick is harder to get out of gear..

mine's noisy and drives like shit but its easy to get in and out of gears.. once it's warm.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I had the same issues with notchy shifting until I put in fresh V160 tranny fluid, its all buttery smooth now :D

Sometimes, it is notchy downshifting (I guess the supra hates to go slow LOL)

Choon

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
When properly maintained and all adjustments are correct, I love this getrag tranny, it feels very mechanical and reasonably precise to me especially compared to almost all other transmissions ...except for the outstanding exceptions like Porsche trannies, etc. Unless I'm practically asleep at the wheel or totally distracted, I can't see how you could miss a gear or not make a smooth shift.

The rattles are usually part of the normal baggage with this trans; but the stock "dual mass" flywheel dampens out almost all the vibrations; of course if you change flywheels, like my LWFW, the rattles are there sometimes and part of life.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Jayr0071 said:

I think you got your self a pretty sweet deal on it. As for the shifting, normal for our 6speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NickT916 said:
dang what a steal!!! you lucky punk lol... i just picked mine up saturday and drove it home for 6 hours , paid $21,8 for it and have 113k black black 6 speed... whats your AIM jay, send me some pictures to [email protected]
Where did you get yours at Nick? I am around the Sacramento area and its pretty rough finding a Supra around here. Still waiting for my gem in the dirt. I can't wait.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Zvolen said:
Where did you get yours at Nick? I am around the Sacramento area and its pretty rough finding a Supra around here. Still waiting for my gem in the dirt. I can't wait.
i got mine down at LA, got a plane ticket there, worked out a deal, then drove back home. tea gem in the first is like a needle in a hay stack.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts