Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clutch advice 6 speed ? please NEED SOME ADVICE , from real experinces
i have a single rps im taking out now , and i have bought barely used tilton triple carbon clutch i was going to put in but , im hesitate with reading that these i know are the best drag clutches , but i daily the car 85% of time and highway pulls , i will take to track some, but i keep reading that these clutches are hard to put in and you have to adjust alot and only last 4000-8000 miles then another 1800 to rebuild . i thought of selling it to someone who will drag race more than me. should i get a spec twin or go rps carbon? im kinda stuck dont know what to do, keep tilton , hope i install it right , will it last stop in go daily for a while? or sell and go another route i am at 850hp?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Keep the tilton. Youll get use to it. Just have someone who knows how to install it help you. Its the first and last clutch anyone with a supra should buy. Wish I saw the light earlier.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I went with the RPS twin carbon and my power levels exceeded what the clutch can hold. Before you do anything, do some research on what these clutches can hold versus your power levels and future power goals. The Tilton is considered one of the top clutches for our cars, but like you have already stated, daily driving with it and constant maintenance can be a pain.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a HKS triple installed in my car. You would more likely snap a drive shaft before it slipped. It just made driving the car unbearable and the noise didn't help either. I'm not looking for more than 7 ish so I switched to something I'm hoping will be the best of both worlds for me. Like Dick Inras stated just know your power goals and purchase accordingly. What are your power goals?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I went with the RPS twin carbon and my power levels exceeded what the clutch can hold. Before you do anything, do some research on what these clutches can hold versus your power levels and future power goals. The Tilton is considered one of the top clutches for our cars, but like you have already stated, daily driving with it and constant maintenance can be a pain.
What were your power goals exactly that exceeded what the clutch can withstand?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Tilton is BY FAR the best clutch for these cars. No comparison

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Tilton is BY FAR the best clutch for these cars. No comparison
this. for big power.

but if you're not making over 1000 wtq, there are other options that might be better for a predominantly street driven supra..

·
Registered
362 Posts
What were your power goals exactly that exceeded what the clutch can withstand?
The clutch starts to slip as you surpass 800 wheel TQ. As my engine builder was dyno tuning my car after the 1000+ HP build, I was told I would have to swap the double for a triple for them to go any further with it. My car is built 90% for the street so I opted to keep the RPS twin (which was brand new before the engine build) for the drive-ability factor. It's not much heavier on the pedal than stock, it's relatively quiet and maintenance free. I wouldn't recommend it for a drag car making big power. But for a mostly street driven car with the occasional track day or roll race, it's one of the best for the money.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks that is what im looking for,real answers. The most power i will ever make is 950ish. I want a true street car , i will take to track once in a while. I just don't want to wear out the Tilton bg alot of normal driving. Anyone have one? I want a good maintenance free clutch. How long will the Tilton last before i have adjust floaters. Is this clutch better for hard core drag racing. I daily car about 25 miles stop in go. everyday at 600ish and every once in awhile bump up to 850hp. Should iget something else

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Meh, I will go against some of you. The tilton was the biggest pos I ever owned. I pulled it from my car and sold it after a few hundred miles. Not everyone liked their tilton, but I'm sure OP knows this based on this thread.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
^^^ perfect illustration of how subjective clutch preference is. One guy's pleasure is another's pain.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Meh, I will go against some of you. The tilton was the biggest pos I ever owned. I pulled it from my car and sold it after a few hundred miles. Not everyone liked their tilton, but I'm sure OP knows this based on this thread.
Just curious what makes tilton a piece of shit? My biggest complaint is that it's very hard to set the pedal right. After months of having one it's still not right. I fear of messing up this clutch and trans.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Pedal pressure and noise were at the top of my list. All multi plate clutches make noise but the tilton was in a league of its own. It simply was not the clutch for me.. IIRC my car had a 4780 at the time which mandated a clutch that would take a beating.

OP, I would sell the clutch and get something more conducive to street driving. Just my opinion though and one clutch will never meet everyone's criteria. G/L

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Tilton... I street drive mine mostly and no issues. Never had to adjust since putting it in 3500 miles ago. Get the Twins turbo master cylinder kit to help the pedal/engagement of this clutch.

DP

·
Boost Junkie
12,614 Posts
I've got about 20K miles on my RPS C/C circa 2006 with no issues. My car makes anywhere from 460-900whp. Honestly for a street car running street tires (R888s in my case), 900whp is overkill. I usually run around at setting 2 which is 680whp or setting 3, which is 750whp. Traction is a problem with that much power.

I just installed a 6870 and hope to break the 1000whp barrier. It will be interesting to see if it holds the power. Keep in mind I don't drag race or do hard launches. I do some roll racing on the highway and drive it spirited in the twisties.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tough, so many crossed opinions, but that is why i am asking i need feedback on experiences , pros and cons, i have some one to buy it for $3000 but what is another great choice if i sell it. i called titan and talked to sean and he said hes had his tilton for 5 years 11,000 miles and still strong, he said that or clutch masters i do not i know to keep it or sell it. closest to it is maybe rps carbon? i want strong reliable long service . any one elses thoughts ,
thank you guys for responding , i need yall to help me out, us supra guys are in our own little world, LOL..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts