5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else notice that its very:

-ridiculous
-scary
-excessive
-unnecessary... unsafe... underwear filling

but also better than sliced bread

i just realized a short time ago that this could be an interesting discussion.

i drive around with a 70.3mm turbo at 24 psi on my daily tune and the car is so zany that it makes me scat my pants and laugh uncontrollably at the same time.
being a street car though i dislike low speed traction issues which are pretty bad considering i use street tires. i also dislike how the car becomes twice as dangerous at night because wheelspin becomes more unpredictable.

i always hear that people get used to the power and then want more. any you guys with big street power agree?
im talking daily driven cars here (doesnt have to be every day but often enough that you dont have to fill up with race gas every 3 days... or if you do you are my hero)

we all like a good horsepower story but im curious what type of things people think about when they go from like stock supra to bpu to single turbo... where does it stop?

i had bone stock, bpu to bpu++(maxed around 400whp at 18psi), 500whp, 600whp and i havent even splashed race gas in my car yet and frankly im a bit scared to try it.... no im alot scared to try it. im pretty sure that would make me spin 4th on the highway and thats just horribly dangerous in my opinion.

my car is currently extremely fun to drive but at the same time its kind of annoying to viciously blaze the tires off in 2nd gear and do accidental burnouts on the highway.

whats it like to have 700hp 800hp 900hp 1000hp? (like to hear... but last i checked most people dont get far past 700whp without running race gas 24/7)
i run 600 on 94 octane and methanol injection.

is it still really fun or is it just 1 step too far?

i think 600whp has gotta be near the top of the "this car actually gets driven often" list
maybe its because more than that makes a different animal, or makes the car impossible to drive often on the street and have fun?????

anyone with that or more have any interesting things to add?

ive only seen a few cars running over 700whp with a daily tune and even then the cars are meticulously kept and not really driven much (as far as i can tell)

its tough for me to word this post correctly so that it makes sense to everyone but i think she will shape up after a few replies.

i'd love to read a story like "yea i made the supra have 600whp then i drove it and realized the 2jz is in fact a crazy beast and it took me a while to get used to it. then i got bored of it and threw on a bigger turbo for 700whp and it was so much more insane that i couldnt handle it, and i had to sell the car and try less hp with faster spool"
:wtflol:

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Subscribing to this. I want to scare myself before my car gets tuned so I can soop myself up for it. I cant wait to read peoples input/stories on this.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
First off great thread topic Adam!!!

My true addiction started when I jumped in a 700awhp Gambella 996tt for a ride and at that point I said I NEED this!!

I recently sold my bpu'd supra and purchased another Supra street tuned at 635 rwhp on pump at 16psi and C16 800rwhp or so. There is something to be said about this kind of power on the street. I have yet to tame the 800rwhp mark yet, 635 rwhp still scares me. I figure that this was a 290rwhp jump at least.

It is down right scary!! Its almost like a time warp!! Everything becomes basically a blur if you can get going enough to build good boost that is. The traction is basically non-exsistant! If I just punch it in any gear 1-4th its scary how easily it would be to loose total control. I just start to build boost in light traffic and its just banannas!!!!

I have to creep in to boost before I really start to let her go. If not its like im on ice and the tires just spin. But when its right jesus hold on!!!When is enough enough??? I truely thought that 500 rwhp would be just fine for me and here I'am!

But the craziest thing is I cant get enough of it!! I'm addicted to this s^&t for sure!!! I have been getting better and better each time I take her out. Hell with that!!!!!! I was talking to my wife last night and I'm already planning to build my head and do some other goodies in March. I only think it is one step to far when you loose the respect for your car and you end up wrapped around a tree somewhere.

I can honestly say I have tried to hang this up and I actually became unhappy!! All I could think of was I NEED another supra in my life. Most of all I live a pretty damn good life and with out a Supra in it well, it just isnt right!!!!! I couldnt imagine what it would be like with 800, 900, 1000hp or more..... Just down right awsome!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
i daily drive my 600hp pump gas 1.5jz and honestly wish i could just roll around on race gas 30psi all day everyday 600hp has got boring to me.

did a 3rd gear pull on a two lane street locking up the wheels at 140 and then hitting the sholder to get room to slow down about a month ago had another member of this forum behind me in his supra watching.. raced more cars then i can count...

·
Registered
417 Posts
My supra doesn't reach 200whp yet!, I'm still n/a with a built motor ready for the turbo setup I'm piecing together. Once its complete I'm going for 600+whp on the street driving 5days a week. But I do own two muscle cars pushing high hp, my fav. Is a 65 stang that wieghs just over 2300lbs with 410hp and 380ft/lbs to the wheels, its crazy how in fourth gear I can still feel the front end lift under heavy accel. But because I've grown used to this power is my reason for building the supra to do more, although considering the wieght dis-advantage of the supra compared to the stang, I have a feeling 600hp in the supra may feel like the 410 in the stang so 700hp may be my real goal time will tell.

I think to answer your question though from my point, 600hp supras for some that haven't experienced that much power to wieght ratio will be A lot! But for some other driver/owners it may seem very tame.

·
Registered
856 Posts
can never have to much hp even for playing on the street. I have no prob running my car around and sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
agree with James --> some of you guys need more tire and maybe an alignment. my 315/30 18 MT DR's break loose at the top of 2nd, but hold everything on up just fine. my tune is very simple: 1 setting -->30psi through a gt4202 on E85 exclusively --> approx 800whp; 6spd fair weather only car.

i will say, however, that the power is not easily accessible on the street. you need a lot of room to stretch its legs (approx 110mph at 8k rpm in 3rd, 145 at 8k in 4th, etc...)

craig

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Not a supra but I daily drive my Sc on one boost level (32psi on E-85) and it is around 750-775whp through a Th400 on that setting. I will agree, that a good alignment ( rear camber expecially) and a good Drag radial will make a huge difference. It will make a high Hp street cars allot safer on boost. I couldnt imagine my car on a regular street tire. It would be down right unsafe at any speed.

Lawrence

·
Function over form
2,465 Posts
hehe, i've been around in some monster cars before. after riding in a friends 700+ supra i nearly shit my pants in the passenger seat. i actually had a video cam ready to take on the action but every time he got in it i ended up throwing the camera down and just holding on to anything i could get my hands on. lol. i would say i know my limits pretty well and anything over 500hp for me and i'd be dead. i was making close to that with my trans am and knew that after that point it was a money game. honestly, 500hp is crazy for a street setup in any car really, let alone something thats 800-1000!!!

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
It's overkill for a daily driven car. Why don't you just turn down the boost?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Not a supra but I daily drive my Sc on one boost level (32psi on E-85) and it is around 750-775whp through a Th400 on that setting. I will agree, that a good alignment ( rear camber expecially) and a good Drag radial will make a huge difference...

Lawrence
agreed again. my rear camber is 0 deg.

craig

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's overkill for a daily driven car. Why don't you just turn down the boost?
Why would you if you dont have to?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I daily my 6 spd and love it. Its a stock bottom end with a GT4088r. I make 711whp at 18psi on low boost (E85). Its fun when you get to lay into it. But like many say more is always better,lol. Its really not too scary at that level going straight. You just need to learn the car and learn your abilities (find out on a real road course). As long as your happy, having fun, and trying to be safe with what you have nothing else really matters. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
hehe, i've been around in some monster cars before. after riding in a friends 700+ supra i nearly shit my pants in the passenger seat. i actually had a video cam ready to take on the action but every time he got in it i ended up throwing the camera down and just holding on to anything i could get my hands on. lol. i would say i know my limits pretty well and anything over 500hp for me and i'd be dead. i was making close to that with my trans am and knew that after that point it was a money game. honestly, 500hp is crazy for a street setup in any car really, let alone something thats 800-1000!!!
I want to see video of you trying to take video... LOL

·
Registered
255 Posts
Seeing you post around this forum, especially on your build up thread and doing it with such enthusiasm, puts a smile on my face. It amazes me how this "God-given" machine can keep giving us the emotions you just described from the day we first take ownership to modding the car to get that "shit your pants" feeling. Keep it up and look forward to your future endeavors with your supra!

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha wow load of replies already... i was gonna quote a bunch but i cant be assed to modify all the posts.

it is like time warp. ive given one of my friends headspins before when i was driving him home and he was pretty drunk.

he prefers to take his car everywhere now and i think hes only drove with me a couple times since then hahaha.
pretty sure hes petrified of the car.

it does that to me aswell in 3rd gear, all you can really do is hold on.
my car weighs 3350 lbs with 60 litres of gasoline and 20 litres of methanol on board, and full sound system aswell, couple 12" subs in a big sealed MDF box.

most the comments seem right on par. especially post #2 haha you sound alot like me and your turbo is also incredibly similar.

also i agree about alignment. i will definitely take you guys advice and flatten the rear tires out this spring (car is off the road for winter now)

also to answer that dude, toyo r888 are basically a crazy tire and you will want it.
our good man Jayhall here on the forum used to work there and he had some on his mk3 and i personally witnessed that thing grip CRAZY good in high speed corners and his 1/4 mile time showed good traction aswell.

besides that i agree that you kind of get used to it.... or at least you are able to better predict it.

and the statement that you need lots of road is a huge one.

i notice that when i drive to bigger towns. car becomes less fun because there is so much traffic around and theres never any gaps big enough to hit some boost.

when i do boost the speedometer goes crazy.

car has zero trouble doubling and tripling most of the posted speed limits within a few seconds.
very dangerous for you and other people. things happen so fast and its even worse when your vision is tunneling hahaha.

i can control my car pretty good now but once in a while it still throws a curveball if boost comes on as i go through a pot hole or something and it loses traction.

its not toooooooooo bad though at 600 i think. but still more than a few times ive been driving and thought to myself "man this is stupid wtf"
but i cant get enough of it at the same time.

i also love how supras can just cruise in traffic effortlessly. 6 speed ones anyway. i dont know about auto and i dont want one.
stay out of boost and she is drivable by anyone.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts