Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a series 2 6050 box, and I am hooking up the VSS from the v160. Can anyone tell me what type of speed sensor it is, Mag or Hall.

Another quick questions, looking at the mk4 pinout, it seens that the vss first goes to the speedo in the gauge cluster then from there into the ecu? Is there any kind of signal altering going on in the cluster before it goes to the ecu? I guess what I am asking is, can I wire the vss directly to the AEM?

Thanks
Ryan

PS - Im also wiring in a set of knock sensors finally, and It looks like I have ran out of sensor grounds for the knock sensors. Can you double up on the sensor ground outputs, or should it stay as one ground per sensor like I have it now? If so, what the heck do I do to wire in these two knock sensors.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Go into the setup wizard, there is an option for the toyota supra manual speed sensor.

The knock sensors tie into the sensor ground on a stock harness. You should have a pin on the AEM for sensor ground, and all the sensors that require ground from the ECU tie into it (I.E. map sensor, etc.)

The VSS is a two wire connector, one going to the speedo, the other going to the odometer and then to the ECU.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ninja EDIT!!!

Jordan aka Shaodome to the rescue. If anyone else is looking for this information, here it is:

V160 Vehicle speed sensor:

Hall affect - 12v pulse
4 pulses per revolution

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
One pin from each knock sensor splices into any of the sensor ground wires. They're all tied together inside the AEM, so it doesn't matter which one. The other pin on each knock sensor will got to knock 1/2 inputs on the AEM.

If you're making a new custom harness, make sure that your V160 VSS gets switched 12v and CHASSIS ground (not sensor ground). The third wire will go to T3 or T4. You may need to open the box and ensure that the jumper is set to Hall instead of Mag for that input.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a reason it needs to be a chassis ground instead of a sensor ground? My box has a vss sensor ground input that I used, but it's no big deal to swap it to a chassis ground.

Yes, I had to open the box for my hall cam/crank sensor, as well as my cops. When I did that, I set the main VSS to hall and the spare to mag so I had an option for both (I originally had a th400 in the car)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
It's possible the sensor could draw more current than the sensor ground output was meant to handle. This will show up as ripple in the other sensor readings.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I believe the sensor ground is only for 5 volt sensors.. does anyone have a V160 VSS diagram? which pin is what?

Never mind, I found it, Pin 1 is 12v, pin 2 is Ground, pin 3 is Signal...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ Correct, I just finished mine up and took it for a ride around the block last night. I'll have a look and see if I managed to hook it up properly. Let me know how you make out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts