Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a MKIII N/A auto for $850, with 99K miles on it, excellent condition inside and out, new paint job, etc... Perfect for me. Thing is when I acclerate or floor the gas the engine lacks power (My previous MKIII N/A auto with 225K miles on it had plenty of power still) and at stop lights, its like sputtering, rough idle, etc... all the signs from what I think is a tune up job. The previous owner only put 9000 miles on it in 3 years so it sat for long periods of time I would assume.
My brother takes it up to the local Toyota dealership while I am at work to find out the prices. Heres what the service guy wrote down to show me: the AF (AFC?), spark plugs, top engine cleaner (?), coolant, tranny fluid change, timing belt service is $625.
With front end seals and water pump service/replacing it'll be $1000.
I mean, yeah, I have the money, but is this really what it cost? Is this a rip off or are those prices within standard range? Would a local garage specializing in imports be the way to go? Thans in advance :)

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
I do that stuff myself, but if you look up the hours that it's quoted to do a front main or replace the timing belt on these cars, that seems about right.

Do it yourself and you'll only spend $1-200

Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
You could do it yourself for 1/3 that. Get out the book and get your hands dirty and go buy the parts and do it yourself. That's the only way you will learn and the only way you will figure out how NOT to get stuck up the ass with no lube by a dealership.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i say save your money and then sell it and buy a turbo mkiii

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
I work @ a Toyota dealership in service, so I'll say to pass on the top engine cleaning, and just take apart the intercooler piping to access the throttle body. Use brake cleaner, or any cleaner to "un gum up" the throttle. Just manually open the throttle and clean where the butterly seals when its closed.

As far as the T-belt and WP with front engine seals, if your not mechanically inclined, then you'll have to pay someone else to do it, and their pricing isnt out of the norm.

Ask the advisor for a dicount on the flat rate portion of the WP and front engine seals. Ask him to charge you regular price for the t-belt and cut the labor rate down to 70-75/hour for the WP and engine seals.

Doing a tune up is pretty easy also, so Id consider doing that on your own as well. You basically take the intercooler piping off, coil pack cover, coil pack, and whatever else is in the way, not a huge deal.

GL!

edit: forgot the trans scv. Pay them to FLUSH the fluid, but ask them what color the fluid is first. If its brown or blackish, do it. If its red or even red/orange, its not a must.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That is the world of not doing it yourself. The only choices from here are to pay that kind of money, or learn to do it yourself.

I would translate the "AF" to mean air filter

·
Registered
103 Posts
i got friends whom are engineers and docs(meds skoo), they dont like learnin thos stuff like we do, although theyre in cars. they rather pay someone to do it for them.

whopwood said:
That is the world of not doing it yourself. The only choices from here are to pay that kind of money, or learn to do it yourself.

I would translate the "AF" to mean air filter

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are poeple on this planet that have enough income to pay the standard $80+/hour shop rates. I am not one of them :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
That doesnt seem that out of line for all of that... The timing belt is a fairly time consuming job. If you can go without your car for a couple of days I'd reccomend spending the money you save by doing it yourself on some tools (if you don't already have them). Working on your own car will save you big time... not only in the shortrun, but also in the long run. If you break down on the side of the road, there's a better chance you will be able to get it going again if you have done all the work on that car yourself.

·
Registered
215 Posts
True that Kroze,
I am totalling willing to venture into replacing my head gasket and stuff myself, just I don't have a space to really work on it or the tools to do it. Sucks.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Kroze said:
you'll spend more money on getting all the tools to do the job.
No you wont... all you need is a basic socket set, some geat/ratchet box wrenches, a breaker bar and some other generic tools. Air tools would be nice but are definately not a neccesity..

What I love about working on my supra is everything (with the exception of the crank bolt, and oil drain plug and a few other random bolts) is either a 10mm, 12mm or 14mm.

You should be able to buy all the tools you need from sears for well under what the labour would cost you.. and then you have them to always do the work on the car.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
You made it sound like it was a $650 dollar tuneup. In reality its the timing belt job that will probabaly cost at least half of that amount. A tuneup is very simple.... Just replace your sparkplugs and adjust your ignition timing by rotating your CPS.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Or spend the savings on a couple days of steak and beer bbq and invite all the local supra owners over to give you a hand;)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Kroze said:
you'll spend more money on getting all the tools to do the job.
are you serious?

timing belt replacement will require all of a wrench/socket set, you might have to buy/borrow a timing light from someone.

total cost: no more than 100 bucks....not quite 1000 is it?

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
for the work, not a bad deal, of course the question is, do you need all the work?

tune up parts: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter and clean the TB ... from what you're saying, sounds like you'll need this no matter what. Check with local chops (not the dealer) and you'll probably get a better rate, dealers tend to be much higher.

Timming belt, at 100k, if it's never been done before, it's not a bad idea to do it. Of course, if you want to save some coin, take a look at the belt, if it's not dry or cracked, you could probably run it for quite a while longer. If it breaks, you won't have any issue other than getting stuck where you are. 7M is not interferance. .... old school rules used to say do timming belts at 60k no matter what. so it might have been done before. Most modern belts are designed to go over 100k or more. of course a tall inline 6 like the 7M puts a little more stress on the belt than a smaller shorter engine.

Water pump... is it leaking? Making noise? Some cars you make a habit of replacing the pump whenever you replace the timmming belt. Reason being, the pump is driven by the belt on a lot of cars and it's pretty much no more labor to do it while you're in there. The 7M is not like this. The pump is driven by a regular drive belt and can be replaced independant of the timming belt. so if it's not broke, why fix it?

Seals, if they are leaking, then you should fix them. If the cam seals or front main is leaking, might as well do the timming belt (even if it's not needed) since it;s got to come off to to this. Who knows, that might have been the thinking behind what the mechanic told you, and if it was, then it was good thinking.

That's my $0.02 ... your milage my vary

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you do the timing belt it would be stupid to not change the cam seals while you're at it... they have to come out and its a cheap part anyways. Why put something back together that may leak and be a PITA to change in the future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I will do the spark plug/wire/distributor cap and air filter work myself, since those are the easiest and quickest
I'll see where the car stands at that point. I have limited time to work on cars (or much of anything) in the first place, so thats the main reason I was curious about the dealership rates. Thanks again all :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts