Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
second chance at life
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My son is looking to go single turbo and currently has his turbos set up in true twin mode. He wants to retain the same spool characteristics as the car has now and has power goals of around 485-500whp. We've decided to go with the 6265 precision turbo but just need to figure out what size ar. we should go with. Would an .81 ar do the job? Does anyone know at what rpm the 6265 reaches full boost. The car is bpu right now with a blitz catback exhaust, intake,fpr and fmic. Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
should reach full boost with a QSV around 3800rpm's if I am correct.
This also depends on which manifold he is going to be using. f1manifold/vs/cast.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
6265 will reach boost earlier than ttc mode for stock twins and more power at the same psi. I don't have a qsv but my
6265 hits hard at 3600 rpms, street tires won't hold it in 1st or 2nd.

But remember the 6265 can produce 650-700 rwhp so at the 500 level you won't be pushing full boost. I'd say 3600-3800 for 18 psi, it can push over 30 psi with proper fuel and knock protection.

Long story short, awesome turbo, couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I was going to go with the 6765 but now I'm thinking about the 6265 again. Damn can't decide now.

·
Life begins @ 30psi....
2,369 Posts
My 6765 billet/ cea what ever you want to call it with a .81ar reaches 20psi (full boost) just at 4k in 4th gear on the street, I would not got any smaller for a 6 speed street car but thats just me.

Bob

·
Registered
261 Posts
6265 will reach boost earlier than ttc mode for stock twins and more power at the same psi. I don't have a qsv but my
6265 hits hard at 3600 rpms, street tires won't hold it in 1st or 2nd.

But remember the 6265 can produce 650-700 rwhp so at the 500 level you won't be pushing full boost. I'd say 3600-3800 for 18 psi, it can push over 30 psi with proper fuel and knock protection.

Long story short, awesome turbo, couldn't be happier with it.
What size ar. are you running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am bouncing back and forth between the 6265 and 6765 as well, I have an automatic with a minor stall upgrade and i think the 67 may be the right choice but i will pretty much only run 93 pump so i am also thinking the 6265 would be killer on the street. what AR for the 6765 to get 20psi by 4k RPM?

·
Suprasarous Y0!
1,116 Posts
Deck the 6265 is a really nice street turbo especially for 500hp. The .81 is the 'ideal' street rear. The .63 will choke up top. You should see full boost depending on journal or dbb at around 3800 +/- 100ish rpm. This is a mean turbo at 500 hp if you have the right tires !

lcvette, although alot of people push stock automatics well into the 500s, I wouldn't go higher than 475-500 on the stock tranny. If you dont plan on building it and going for 600+ whp, i'd stick with the 6265.

·
second chance at life
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all your responses. Seems like both 6265 and 6765 are great turbos, its going to be a tough decision. But continue posting all your experiences with them pro or con.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have the 6265 turbo and love it. perfect street turbo...heres my youtube page i got some videos if you didn't see them http://www.youtube.com/user/camman924

I plan on making some new videos real soon to show the rpm tach so the viewers can see how fast the boost hits. :)

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
Deck, in my personal opinion, the mass of the 67mm compressor wheel versus the 62 MM wheel is probably only going to add around 250 rpm worth of lag... or there bouts. The 67MM will have superior low pressure ratio effiency range, along with more power potential in the future.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i got a 6265 with .81 and ya around 4k i hit 20lbs, car feels amazing

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Personally if he doesn't have any plans on making more then 500whp, why go with a turbo that can far exceed that horsepower, because its only going to take away from the rest of the power band. 500whp is great, however only having it for 2500rpm's is silly, when you can have a smaller turbo, make the same power, and stretch the powerband to the left. Its a win win situation in my opinion. The 6265, can not only easily make the power that he desires, but it also will have a more linear powerband, that would allow the car to be easier to control. I try to make the most out of everything, however that's just me.

There is a reason why so many people miss their bpu cars, because it was all engineered to make the most with what was available. Along comes someone chasing a number on race gas, choosing the turbo to reach that number, then never even running race gas, and they are stuck with a small displacement engine with absolutely no motivation down low making the supra a dog around town, and now the car is rather boring unless you floor it.

A powerband that looks like a hill not a cliff is the name of my game.

End rant

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 6765 billet/ cea what ever you want to call it with a .81ar reaches 20psi (full boost) just at 4k in 4th gear on the street, I would not got any smaller for a 6 speed street car but thats just me.

Bob
Bob, is this on E85? There is a big difference in spool using E85 vs pump gas.

I'm also running a 6265, 0.81AR on a short runner cast manifold with stock ECU/stock MAF/stock fuel and I see 8psi at 3000rpms and 15psi (what I'm currently running on 91 octane) by 3800rpms. This is even earlier than when my car was BPU and at the same boost pressure I am making roughly 45whp more.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts