Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While running my Z06 at the track I noticed another Sp61 GT 7M running crappy times on slicks(13s at 115 MPH). I am using Malloy's old turbo on my 7M to prove this turbo can hit 500RWHP and runs 11s on pump gas which is slightly smaller than the huffer I ran before). I am wondering if the Rabid chimp 62MM TB is a worthy upgrade on my car since motor will be coming apart for a head gasket change(not the car's fault-totally mine). What is the opening size of the intake manifold where the TB meets it(never measured it but mine is honed). I am wondering if TB portmatched to my intake is worth it. I just don't want to kill any low speed torque.
I know Ronnie's car white car has a similiar set up like my car so I am hoping he hits 11s as well.
Once this goal is realized its 2J single time for this MK3.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
You really should update your sig pic, haha.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything on my car is portmatched(honed exhaust manifold,honed intake manifolds and ported polished head). I am convinced this is why my car runs much faster than others with bigger turbos and better combos than me. I just wonder if the 62MM TB is needed at my power level.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Mike 92LX said:
Everything on my car is portmatched(honed exhaust manifold,honed intake manifolds and ported polished head). I am convinced this is why my car runs much faster than others with bigger turbos and better combos than me. I just wonder if the 62MM TB is needed at my power level.
Probably cause you're a better driver. I can't really see portmatching as much of a help. Remember the air is FORCED in under boost. Although, port matching should help it spool.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
that is a good premise. i would like to know if there is a benefit also. i have a stock Pre89 bored to 65mm w/ a Mustang TB plate and would love to know if it was worth the hassle. IIRC, the stock tB is 58mm bore at the throttle plate, right?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
doesn't matter if the air is forced, the better the flow, the more efficient it is and better power it will get...

I wouldn't touch the TB unless it's really a restriction as the IC pipes are usually smaller, ect...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well, the thing that bugs me is that once you have bigger IC pipes and a bigger FMIC, the next bottle neck becomes the TB. but its a questoin as to how significant this bottle neck is and how much power it costs you on 400+ hp setups.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
In recent years, I haven't seen anyone change just the TB in a higher (400+) setup to check gains.

If the 3sgte is any indicator, your mid numbers will increase nicely, while the peak figures will be not be raised by much.

Regardless of the guesses, the Turbo A 7mgte had a bigger TB so something must have been realized by the engineers.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well that is a good point. Toyota wouldnt ahve spent the time, money and effort to make a larger throttle body if the standard one would suffice and make the power they desired... it was obviously worth them spending a butt-load of money...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
im pretty sure that it came out to 58mm when i used my digital calipers.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have bigger intercooler pipes etc... I dynoed 512 last time out with a bigger huffer. I am hoping for 500 at 24psi with this sp61.
I will try the 62MM and see how it does. What the heck.

As a side note my Mustang at 607RWHP lost 2HP and 3ft pounds of torque going from a 69MM to a 70MM TB. And that was with forced induction.

Thanks for input and keep them coming.

·
0 Posts
You'll probably see it on ebay in the next month or two or three, but the story as I understand it is that the stock TB is 60mm, the Supra A TB is 65mm. The only(?) difference was the opening and the butterfly plate inside.
The friend of a friend has stumbled across a butterfly plate for something like an Audi or who knows what, that is 64.5mm diameter. The bolt pattern for mounting the plate to the shaft is reportedly spot on. So.. their plan is to buy a bunch of domestic 7mGTE TB's, take them apart, ceramic coat them (one of the guys does great ceramic coating of parts and has a NICE Mk3), bore out the center to the exact needed dimension, and then reassemble them w/the new plates. The parts will then be sold on ebay as 'chromed' bolt on, oversized throttle bodies. This process avoids the hassle of trying to cusom fit a larger TB as the stock TB gets modified and bolts right up. Should be slick. We'll see.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
i could SWEAR that the inside bore of the TB is 58mm... not the INLET where the IC coupler mates to, but the side that goes into the manifold. the throttle plate might be 60mm so that it seals up in the 58mm bore, i can beleive that. i cant find my digital calipers so i cant verify myself. is there anyone who can double check?

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have a spare manifold. I can measure mine when its apart.
I wonder if the turbo A's manifold is the same size as a regular 7MGTE at the TB opening.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
mike- look up dean marcum. he had some good results back in the day......and noted gains w/a larger TB.

everyone else- see mkiiitech.com for turbo A TB info.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Mike 92LX said:
I have bigger intercooler pipes etc... I dynoed 512 last time out with a bigger huffer. I am hoping for 500 at 24psi with this sp61.
I will try the 62MM and see how it does. What the heck.

As a side note my Mustang at 607RWHP lost 2HP and 3ft pounds of torque going from a 69MM to a 70MM TB. And that was with forced induction.

Thanks for input and keep them coming.
My input would be that with bigger routing, you'll have more volume of air but less velocity. Better for big turbo, ported head, FFI etc that will give that volume of air some velocity but not as good for closer to stock setups that depend on the velocity for lower end torque and response.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good. If its 66MM opening than a 62 MM thb should help.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts