Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after having the 6466 cast setup on the car for over 2 years, I finally took it to the track. My goal was to see what it could do on pump gas and 18 psi, then if the track was hooking, throw in some race gas. It has been 4 years, so starting out on lower power seemed like a good idea.

First pass, I launched a little soft with a 1.74 60’, and ended up with a [email protected], boost was 18. Next pass, I launched harder to a 1.56 but let’s just say the 1-2 shift was botched and leave it at that! Yes, I know it’s an automatic.

The track was on kill! Time to throw in some race gas. I set the boost on 27 psi, and turned up the fuel pressure to 52 psi since I am only on ID 725’s. Launched hard, backpedaled in 1st gear and still cut a 1.52 60’ on my way to a [email protected] Needless to say, I was thrilled on only my second full pass, sloppy nonetheless!

Was ready to turn up the boost a hair, and stay in it for a hopeful 1.4 60’, but I discovered that my rear tire was almost flat, 7 psi. I was able to get it to hold enough air for the drive home and fixed it later. The low tire pressure was probably part of the reason for the low MPH, as was the IC pipe that was starting to blow off that I found the next day. 6800 RPM shift points did not help either.

Need to mention that this was on my street tires – 275/40-17 M/T DR’s, set on a different tire pressure that I will keep secret. In the past, I needed 28” ‘balloon’ tires to pull anywhere near 1.4 60’s.

I am thrilled with the power and ET potential of the 6466 setup compared to my old HKS twin setup! The car was also heavier than I used to run it, toolbox, etc onboard. I thought the fast spooling turbo would be a handful to launch. On a marginal track, it could be, but track prep was spot on that day. In order, I footbraked the launch to 3200, 3400 and 3600 RPM. Max launch boost may have been ~3 psi at the most.

Not sure whether I’ll get back to the track or not, but at least making a couple half-assed passes leaves me excited about the possibilities. Thanks for reading.

Al

·
Registered
94 Supra Twin Turbo
1,244 Posts
Very nice! She's got a lot left in her.
What ecu management are you running?

·
Boost Junkie
12,614 Posts
What track? Coastal Plains? Great job getting your 9 at that mph! Its got a lot left in it. I'd love for you to share your tire pressure though, it would help others. I kept my 275/50/15s MT Drag Radials at around 15-16psi and pulled some 1.5X 60fts (only made 5 passes as I got kicked out).

Congrats.

Steve

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
Haha, I've missed the 1-2 on my auto a few times as well.

Great passes for first time out!

·
Boost Junkie
12,614 Posts
When I had the BL auto I always left it in drive (with o/d turned off). Do you no longer do that? I am putting an ATF TT trans in the SC300 and wanted to make sure.

Steve

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When I had the BL auto I always left it in drive (with o/d turned off). Do you no longer do that? I am putting an ATF TT trans in the SC300 and wanted to make sure.

Steve
Yes, auto shifting. The one extra thing I did that pass (turning on a camera) distracted me from my normal routine (shifting from 1 to D after the burnout). No more cameras in the car!

Jason, this was at the Rockingham Grudge racing a couple weeks ago, The track hooked as good as I have ever seen. Maybe with the change to NHRA they made some other changes.

Still on the G-Force ECU and VPC/SAFC.

Al

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts

Steve
Yeah, After the burnout, forgetting to change from L to D. I did it in the semis at TX one year and then the finals of an IFO. The pressure got to me, lol.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Pretty impressive!!!! What kind of power are you making on pump gas at 18psi?

·
Registered
143 Posts
What converter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
That's impressive congrats bud! I seen you post on here for a long time and have talked to you on here often. Glad to see you gave it a run and hit 9's! I did the same mistake my last race at IFO sorta, Did the burn out in L gear, forgot to press button to go back in auto mode, staged in except i was messing with my radio on what song to play, and it was in the FINALS of course and i left in 3rd gear lol. Least i got the song i wanted even though i lost the race!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jrock, you listen to music when making a pass? I guess an old Megadeth song could get you pumped up!

twokss: The converter started life as a billet PI with 3600 footbrake stall. Then it was rebuilt by Midwest, and had a 3400 stall, but was much more efficient as far as ET and MPH. I eventually tore that one up street driving. Sent it back to Midwest and he put an impeller in there that is twice as thick as stock. Now it is even tighter at around 3200, but it's perfect for a 6466.

DaTruth: I have not dyno'ed the car, but at 18 psi the HP calculators say ~575.

Al

·
Registered
678 Posts
Congrats. That's an amazing time for such a 'low' trap speed.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Are you still spraying the car for spool Al?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Megadeth: Holy Wars/Judgement Due is a good one, as well at Trust/Almost Honest.

Jason: no NOS needed any more! It leaves pretty hard at 3600/3-4 psi, can only imagine how it would feel at about 4000/15+ psi with a full slick!

Al

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
Congrats Al!! Nice runs. Once again proves simple setup is all that's needed! I knew it would do those time since I did a [email protected] on 25 psi on 6266 with 1.7-8 spinning 60's on a shit track just foot braking it up and letting it go on a 3500 stall with just stock 275 radial. Look forward to more runs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i'm on the same 6466 w/ fsr street fighter kit. Those are impressive time/60ft. what Transmission are you running and what AR on the turbo are you running? i have currently on my car divided 1.15 ar but just purchased .81 nondivided. Still deciding if i should go with the .81 hopefully to gain a little spool.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nice results Al! I am thinking the 'simple' G Force/VPC/SAFC setup with 6466 might be perfect street setup. Do you have quick spool valve as well?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts