Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok what I would like to know is how close is the spool up between a Q and a P trim 67 turbo. On sites like boost logic and sound performance they say that the spool up is almost exactly the same but the Q trim offers around 50 more top end hp. How much truth is there in that statement? I am looking for a broad powerband so I need to know which is the best to get for my goals. Also are these turbos cpable of making 650+rwhp through a 6 speed? Thanks.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
2jz Junkie said:
Ok what I would like to know is how close is the spool up between a Q and a P trim 67 turbo. On sites like boost logic and sound performance they say that the spool up is almost exactly the same but the Q trim offers around 50 more top end hp. How much truth is there in that statement? I am looking for a broad powerband so I need to know which is the best to get for my goals. Also are these turbos cpable of making 650+rwhp through a 6 speed? Thanks.
Here is a dynosheet of a p-trim 67 stock head, cams, etc through a 6-speed:

Hope that helped a little.

Take Care

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
www.moreboost.org has plenty of info.

Whatever happened to Lil Viv's supra. I haven't seen much info on how it's running/doing lately. Did something happen? I kinda wondered how the car would last using such little octane at 29 psi.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the dyno chart. I have looked on moreboost.org but it is hard to tell what the differences between the two trims are, because of how different each of the cars are.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
From what I understand, a T67GTQ .68 will spool about the same and make slightly more power than a T67P .81. The GTQ will also outflow the stock cams, so 264/264 might not be a bad idea to go with this turbo.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Lilviv's car is a "freak." I think most Supra's max out at around 680rwhp with stock cams, despite the turbo size.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the difference is like 200rpm. I am going to pick my car up this friday, I hope, and dyno it so when I do I could updated you on what it makes hp wise. I went with the Q trim with .81 housing and HKS 264 cams, along with the other stuff ie: fuel system, fmic, etc.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I think the GTQ is going to be a solid amount laggier but I'll find out soonish as I'm swapping the standard RPS header back on to see if it was the turbo or header causing me so much lag.

Chad 93TT, they make a Q trim with .81? I thought the choices were P-trim in .70 and .81 and GTQ in .68.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yeah, I myself never understood how exactly he got those numbers myself. The TQ number for 29 PSI is also high. Lucky him I guess :). Maybe he'll dyno at Texas and boggle us again :)

Greg Bielawski said:
From what I understand, a T67GTQ .68 will spool about the same and make slightly more power than a T67P .81. The GTQ will also outflow the stock cams, so 264/264 might not be a bad idea to go with this turbo.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Lilviv's car is a "freak." I think most Supra's max out at around 680rwhp with stock cams, despite the turbo size.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Azmongoose dynoed 715 rwhp on here with completely stock motor from top to bottom. He has a small apexi cooler and hks 720 fuel. VPC, afc and nothing else. stock fans, flywheel, etc
67 Q trim .68 hotside. I drove in the car and lag is not an issue at all. Boost comes on hard and fast and doesnt let off in higher rpms. Has a very linear pull and holds torque very nice.
Excellent street turbo.
Also 67 p trim uses a small shaft cartridge vs a big shaft on Q trim.
hth

S

·
0 Posts
T61supradean said:

Also 67 p trim uses a small shaft cartridge vs a big shaft on Q trim.
hth
Are you saying the cartridge/casing on the GTQ is bigger then the p-trim? The compressor housing looks bigger in other words?

Thanks!

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Jiray
The compressor housing is the same on the gtq/p trim. The hotside housing is obviously larger.

Silvino
You can get a .81 with a gtq or a .68. Same goes for a ptrim.

I've given my opinion on this many times.... A 67 is better with a ptrim. If you want a gtq I'd reccomned going with a 71gtq.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Thanks for the AR answer :)

Btw, I'm going to have a test run done soon with my old header and I'll be glad to comment on how the GTQ wheel is lag wise since the big torque header won't be a factor anymore. I could get full boost in my T66 at 3800 RPMS in 4th before so we'll see how big of a lag jump this PTE67 GTQ really is on a Q-trim.

Do you know if the P trim 67's have the same lack of surge at part throttle? This is another perk to the GTQ. I can smoothly enter and exit boost without surge in corners. My T66 .70 would surge if I tried this. It only liked being on or off so it could be surge-free in straights but when I wanted part throttle for a turn it would surge and make me worry about the rear end tossing out.

racing fan said:
Jiray
The compressor housing is the same on the gtq/p trim. The hotside housing is obviously larger.

Silvino
You can get a .81 with a gtq or a .68. Same goes for a ptrim.

I've given my opinion on this many times.... A 67 is better with a ptrim. If you want a gtq I'd reccomned going with a 71gtq.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
In 4th gear it's like 4400rpms-4500rpms and it seems much worse in lower gears. I think I went overkill getting the big torque header as the primaries are pretty big compared to the standard RPS header. Anyhow, I'd love to be close to 4K if possible and quicker in lower gears. It doesn't sound like a lot but when you don't want to be winding your motor out all the time on the street, you value every 100 rpms you can gain in spool. People downplay lag way too much.

racing fan said:
I haven't observed any surge at partial throttle on the 67ptrim.

When do you see 18psi by on your current setup?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I'm not sure. I've had cams, headwork and I still saw surge even though those should have helped. Mani has had lots of custom shit so you'd really have to ask him. Most people don't concern themselves with part throttle surge so it rarely gets posted about.

2jz Junkie said:
So on a car like Mani's on to4r.com, do you think he has lots of surge?

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
silvino said:
In 4th gear it's like 4400rpms-4500rpms and it seems much worse in lower gears. I think I went overkill getting the big torque header as the primaries are pretty big compared to the standard RPS header. Anyhow, I'd love to be close to 4K if possible and quicker in lower gears. It doesn't sound like a lot but when you don't want to be winding your motor out all the time on the street, you value every 100 rpms you can gain in spool. People downplay lag way too much.
I think you need a 67p .68:) goldilox turbo:) I agree on the lag issue.. I don't understand people who say 74mm turbo are great and there isn't any lag... I'd be annoyed driving that around. I constantly ahve to tell customers the same thing as they always want some large number but don't realize they would enjoy a smaller hp number more.

BTW we have a bunch of crank pulley's coming in:) hehe

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If I have money left over from my intake manifold budget, I'll see if I can afford the crank pulley.

racing fan said:
I think you need a 67p .68:) goldilox turbo:) I agree on the lag issue.. I don't understand people who say 74mm turbo are great and there isn't any lag... I'd be annoyed driving that around. I constantly ahve to tell customers the same thing as they always want some large number but don't realize they would enjoy a smaller hp number more.

BTW we have a bunch of crank pulley's coming in:) hehe

1 - 20 of 34 Posts