Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Silent
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the position of upgrading and choosing between a 61 and a 67. I think this car will see mostly pump gas, so will I see any noticable power increase on pump gas? I am especially concerned with spool vs power on pump gas.

Anyone have any advice to help me make my decision?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was in the same postion as you about 8 months ago and I regret not going with the 67. You will definetly see a power gain even on pump. The spool on the 61 is great I must admit.

·
Silent
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As friendly as that post was, it was not very helpful. Exactly how I feel.

I looked at the moreboost site, but that has mostly dated turbos on it.

Does anyone have any Dyno's from 61's and 67's on pump?

Or more.... numberical/concrete evidence/anecdotes?

Thanks

·
Silent
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People make damned close to 500 rwhp on the stock twins. I had assumed both would easily make 500.

Moreboost.org lists an SP60 capable of 538 RWHP at 18.5 psi. So I am assuming a 61 and a 67 will also make 500+rwhp on pump. Or am I looking at something wrong?

Also, don't you only need to start bothering with the head when you're looking at 650+?

·
Old School
4,067 Posts
The key to making good power on pump gas is having full control over timing. My 61mm makes just over 500 rwhp on 91 octane. I'd expect at least 40 rwhp more from a 67mm class turbo.

·
Silent
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone with each respective turbo could post when they see full boost. THat'd be really helpful.

It will be tuned by justin nenni, so i'm sure i'll get the most out of it.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
The key to making good power on pump gas is having full control over timing. My 61mm makes just over 500 rwhp on 91 octane. I'd expect at least 40 rwhp more from a 67mm class turbo.
Did you ever writeup your opinions after the 61mm install, Chip? If so can you link me? I'd like to read.

·
Old School
4,067 Posts
Did you ever writeup your opinions after the 61mm install, Chip? If so can you link me? I'd like to read.
Chris,

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377037

I added HKS 264s a few months later and picked up a bit over 20 rwhp.

I love the 61mm, very responsive, pulls strong from the low to mid 3k range, really hits hard at ~4k in 3rd or 4th. Plenty of passing power in 6th at freeway speeds.

But, I've been bitten by the power bug, so I'm going to step up a couple of sizes to a 67mm DBB turbo, likely an HKS T04Z. I'm thinking this is about as big as I can go and still have a good time up in the mountains + make the ~550 rwhp I think the car needs to be competitive with some of the latest sports car offerings.

·
Silent
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So am i to take it that people who have the 61 like it, but pretty much everyone upgrades to the 67?

·
Old School
4,067 Posts
Not everyone, but probably most.

For those who really track (as in road course) their cars, and don't have Leh Keen's skill set the 61mm is an excellent turbo from all I've gathered here.

For guys that want a versatile, all-around street turbo the 67mm has an edge in power (both pump & race) while still having decent response.

·
Silent
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured I wanted this to be one of the last surgeries. And considering how many people move up, I figured i'd just skip that step and trouble.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
....For those who really track (as in road course) their cars, and don't have Leh Keen's skill set the 61mm is an excellent turbo from all I've gathered here....
Chip,
I'm still really enjoying my PHR1 and I see a couple other track amateur's ( ;) see below) here still enjoying theirs too ...maybe one day if/when I learn to drive better I'll have to step up, right now I doubt it, but we'll see.

Oh yea... Powerhouse Stage 1 (this turbo is GREAT)
PHR MAP/ECU
EVC EZ II

We've ran two SCCA races on the new turbo with stock injectors and had very good results with 2 wins:)

·
Swinging HARD!
2,859 Posts
I went with the 67.

Thanks everyone.
Good choice, the 61 has a great spool up but the 67 will get you a lot more power especially if you are just going to run pump.

·
Old School
4,067 Posts
Chip,
I'm still really enjoying my PHR1 and I see a couple other track amateur's ( ;) see below) here still enjoying theirs too ...maybe one day if/when I learn to drive better I'll have to step up, right now I doubt it, but we'll see.
I'm keeping my PHR1 around just in case. :)

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
Believe it or not, I am thinking of getting a smaller and MUCH larger turbo than my 67dbb.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I was a long time 61 owner and have no regrets going to the 67. Honestly, there isn't that much between them spool wise when they have the same a/r and the 67 has more lungs up top. I make 315 RWTQ at 4000 rpm with the 67, hardly a slow spooling setup.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts