Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new here, been searching around and trying to read what I can about the MKII (always loved the look!). I'm more of an RX-7 guy and I'm in the market for another 1st gen 7, however I saw an ad for an '85 Supra that just looks amazing.

It is a second owner and he's replaced a ton of stuff on it recently including the entire AC system, the exhaust, and the timing belt. It has about 128k miles on it. Now here's the bad part, he's asking $6800!!!

This is way outside my budget and seems to be way above what even the nicest MKII's go for but I'm going to check it out anyway today.

So I guess my question is, even if this car is perfect in every way, runs perfect, looks, perfect, wipes your nose for you, etc, could you ever pay anywhere close to $6800?

I haven't asked the guy how negotiable he is, guess I'll find out today when I go check it out.

Thanks,

Zach

·
Registered
929 Posts
$6800 is a lot for an mk2 with that many miles on it. i think you could get a better car for $6800 even if this mk2 does look beautiful.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
That's WAY too expensive. Even show mk2's with upgraded parts and lower mileage don't cost that much. Save up your money and get whichever car you want. Although here we are a supra family, if an rx7 is what you really want, wait for the right one and you'll be happy. Don't settle for a car, buy the one you dream of ;)

BTW the mk2's I almost purchased were all under $1000, they're quite cheap unless you find a mint one, but even anything over $3000 is too much for an mk2.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
From everything I've seen MK2s seem to be holding their value better than 87-88 MK3Ts...

$6800 is high for that car but not uncommon.

A 7mgte Mk2 with a ton of mods recently sold for $15,000...

Check out www.celicasupra.com 's forum - where most of us MK2 junkies hang out.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback, your thoughts seem to echo my own. The car was indeed fantastic, every little thing worked on it!

I think the reason for the high price is the owner is trying to get some of his money back on maintenaince and repair that he's done (he got hit with $2500 for a brand AC, as in every piece replaced with brand new parts as well as a brand new exhaust system from the dealer). He was a nice guy and offered to drop to $6k, but it was still way too much.

Car is located in Raleigh, NC if anyone wants me to pass on the contact information. Definitely a gorgeous car and if money was no object I'd be all over it, but not worth $6800.

-Zach

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Thats way too much for an mk2. I wouldn't pay that much for it. Unless it had the 7m conversion or if the original engine had less than 60k miles on it and it was flawless..

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
That is allot to ask for a clean mk2. I am even selling mine for a measly $2500 and I have over 6k into it and thats just mods.

Lawrence

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,761 Posts
128,000 miles and $6,800 doesn't add up to me, if it were 50,000 miles then yeah. I bought one of my cars with 131,000 miles for $650 and another with 110,000 miles for $675 and she looked pristine!

A MINT 1982 L-type with UNDER 100,000 miles just sold in my town for $4,300.

I've had 5 mkIIs, and their total cost added together is $2,475
:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
tanya ur just a really lucky lady i'v been looking for the perfect mkii for some time now no luck tho...im beginning to lose hope...18th b-day is around teh corner maybe parents will surprise me tho....i hinted them enough

·
Registered
2 Posts
A car is always worth what a buyer is willing to pay -kind of.
The location is also a factor. In California, plenty of nice MKII. On the east and north, not
the same thing at all. So the nice one are worth a bit more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts