Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im a real non believer in the lexus afm, and since i always ran an fcd, i decided to stick to what works for me. I installed my rebuilt 680s (which i got rediculously cheap from tlfsupra89 from here) and got the intake back together. At first the car started and as expected was being flooded with fuel. It wouldnt idle, wouldnt rev... basically it ran like shit.

So i started fidgiting with my safr, took away a wopping 45% at idle, and then inputted -37% across the board until spool up which i then ghetto tuned randomly for now.

*Note dont overlap the idle and the safr maps, or else the car wont run properly. I actually did this and flooded my engine wiht fuel and had to pull the plugs and let it evaporate so it could start.

Anyways i drove the car around the block, my o2 sensor is reading a pretty consistent 14.7 on the turbo timer (it fluctuates a little more than ide like, but i attribute this to the ecu not having learned the curves yet).

Another thing i was considering doing is opening up some of the ports on my accordian hose and putting little filters, i wonder if they would flow the same volume as a lex afm?

Either way, im surprised i was able to run such a big injector on a stock afm.

Ang

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
myMUSICveins said:
Reasoning?

Whatever it works, i just never liked the idea of it since i was always running 440s and correcting it to run safely would only yeild me the same fco. It was too much of a bandaid. It does what its inteded too, i just never got one.

Ang

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drjonez said:
i've run 720s on the stock AFM w/the eman.....

howde you set it up? Run well? I was thinking of switching to an eman so i can have more flexibilty. Did you touch the timing/fuel pressure? I cant drive my car right now so im just gathering info.

Ang

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
On the emanage it has an injector componsation out side of the fuel correction map. So the injector componsation will take out x(old size/new size) percent, but still allow you to pull +-50% in the fuel correction map.

The lexus afm has a bigger volume doesn't it, so it will flow more? just in that I would consider upgrading to that afm.. I ran stock afm w/ 550s on my 7m, when i Sold it to my friend I sold it with a lexus afm that I got for him since im was keeping my emanage. It was 4 months since my car was running, but his seems to pull harder then mine. Though mine was a 91 targa and his is a 86.5 hardtop.. or maybe it was just driving around my 17 second honda that made it seem like it felt faster.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
tissimo said:
On the emanage it has an injector componsation out side of the fuel correction map. So the injector componsation will take out x(old size/new size) percent, but still allow you to pull +-50% in the fuel correction map...

great, but remember the "injector compensation" is really just a global AFM scalar....

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
yea of course, just stating how it was possible with the emanage to get 720s to work and still be able to tune it, since he was at -45% at idle

Should of stated on top of the injector componsation scaling you can still control the fuel map +-50%

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
SuprAng said:
Im a real non believer in the lexus afm.................................Another thing i was considering doing is opening up some of the ports on my accordian hose and putting little filters, i wonder if they would flow the same volume as a lex afm? Ang
Not to bag on you dude, but this is sort of a contradiction!

I can fully understand that costs may be an issue but to say you're a "non-believer" in the Lexus is probably worded wrong. Just to make it fair to newbies reading this thread, the Lexus performs very well to cure fuel cut when used with the 550's.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
drjonez said:
i guess? i stay away from total corrections over 30%.....too much is happening w/timing to make it remotely safe....

so i should stay away from pulling more than -30% from the maps wiht the safr? Will this advance my timing to the point where it is unhealthy?

Im only gonna run the car for one month this summer so im not looking to get a lex afm or maft unless i absolutely have to.

Rajunz said:
Not to bag on you dude, but this is sort of a contradiction!

I can fully understand that costs may be an issue but to say you're a "non-believer" in the Lexus is probably worded wrong. Just to make it fair to newbies reading this thread, the Lexus performs very well to cure fuel cut when used with the 550's.
yes.

Like i said though, i just didnt want to get 550s when i was on stock turbo. It seemed pointless to me for just 300hp. But its probably the safest and easiest way to get over stock fco especially with a bigger turbo.

Ang

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
SuprAng said:
so i should stay away from pulling more than -30% from the maps wiht the safr? Will this advance my timing to the point where it is unhealthy?

Im only gonna run the car for one month this summer so im not looking to get a lex afm or maft unless i absolutely have to.
i would.....

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
I guess I'm not understanding the point of the bigger injectors if your not going to introduce some more air in the mix to utilize them properly.

Can you monitor your Vf voltage? I would be interested to see what the TCCS is doing in closed loop.

Introducing more filtered, unmetered air would be a good thing in this case in my opinion.

Dan

Edit-The Lex housing is only about 80.00 or so, not really that much.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
^^ well i need the fuel for the boost im running. So i dont pull that much signal when im in boost.

Anyone have any idea how much volume i can pull through two ports on the accordian hose?

Even with a lex afm im looking at ~ -20% correction. I guess it wouldnt be a bad idea.

Thanks for the comments/replys so far.

Ang

EDIT: i can monitor my vf with a voltmeter i guess, ill do that next time. Ive only driven the car on closed loop since this setup, i have a turbo timer that monitors the o2 signal and displays in real numbers, its reading 14.7 most of the time, but fluctuates a lot. Also where can i get a lex housing for 80 bucks?

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
<- lex 550s everyday and no problems. adding unmetered air? hummm sounds a bit dangerous because you would be adding more air than the ecu was seeing and it wouldnt be able to correct by adding fuel. so unless you were going to take it to a dyno and sit there and tune the hell out of it y? regardless maybe make a Y shaped pipe preafm and have 2 hks style air filters into the afm? might work then i think

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^ thats what the lex afm does, its just that you know exactly how much extra air youre pulling (25%)

i know i have extensive tuning to do regardless, i got a wideband ready to street tune it as soon as i get the car on the road.

And hold on, whats the difference between pulling 35% fuel with my safr and stock afm vs pulling 10% fuel with the safr and the lex afm... The ecu sees the same signal does it not? Meaning that timing will be just as messed up either way?

Ang

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
umm not exacly

taking 35% of fuel out with an afc sets back the afm 35%...so your timing from the ecu could be anywhere.

if your just letting unmetered air in through a lex afm, and setting fuel back 10% then your setting the afm only 10% backwards so the timing is more close to stock....

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
my advice would be not to poke holes in the intake pipe with little filters, since the system can't effectively meter air that enters the system AFTER the AFM. If you have some sort of tuning, go ahead and use Lex AFM. All you need is the housing, the brains stay the same.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts